Clean or replace my fuel injectors? If replace, with what?

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Ok, new thread for new problems.
2002 VW Bug TDI (automatic) now starts and runs reliably. BUT
Now I have white smoke when the car starts. I am pretty sure it's misfiring on one cylinder. I think I need to clean or replace my fuel injectors. I thought originally that the white smoke was coolant, but I have done all of the checks I can find and the smoke doesn't smell sweet so I don't think it's head gasket problems.
I've been running the fuel-additive injector cleaner in every tank of diesel I get, but I am not seeing much difference and as far as I know they have never been cleaned or replaced, I have 162k miles on it at this point and I know I have carbon build up problems elsewhere (from cleaning out the EGR, planning on cleaning turbo, and intake/exhaust manifolds soon as well).
Anyway, I started reading related threads on here and apparently injector cleaning isn't a DIY for most people and I am definitely just most people when it comes to working on my TDI. So? Ship them to Frank or buy new? If new, what ones?

Also, I just got this picture of the...thing I would use to adjust timing if I had the VCDS...It is an exploratory mission at this point. Anyway, it looks like it has slipped. Is this a thing? Is my timing possibly off (timing belt itself is fine/has all of its teeth)?

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Are those three bolts loose? It certainly looks like the pulley moved. This is where vcds is a necessity to properly time your engine.

When would it have moved like that?

Recent timing belt job?

Someone adjusting the timing?

Someone forgetting to tighten those 3 bolts?

On a good note it still starts and runs, having those bolts all the way to one end of the slot is not an engine killer. It just means your engine timing needs adjusting. Those bolts look all the way forward so your timing is probably way advanced. Unless the picture reverses things.

For injector cleaning I would try a diesel purge first. Diesel purge is available from idparts.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=823760

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I agree. It looks like the timing has slipped, which could totally explain the white smoke. You can't set timing without VCDS, so you'll either have to buy it, borrow it, or take it to a shop that has one. Somewhere on a forum is a sticky listing people who have VCDS's that are willing to loan them.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Yeabut if it has slipped it has moved in the wrong direction.

If the bolts were loose one would expect the sprocket would move CW relative to the hub. In the picher the pump is advanced from the old marks.

This may be due to improper installation and the timing is now advanced as the slots allow but not enough resulting in the smoke at start.

The thing is the OP seems to be saying the smoke is a new symptom.

Yeah, I've heard of pics getting reversed when posted as jarhead mentioned except the lettering on the bolt heads is normal.

Got VCDS to check it?

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
^^^ Need to get VCDS on this thing. Could be some simpler things causing your issues, but without querying the ECU we'd only be guessing.

Having some background information would be helpful.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
It hasn't had any recent timing work done.

I *think* the previous owner replaced the timing belt, but we are talking literally 4+ years ago - we bought it, drove it for maybe a year, and then it sat dead for 2 years before we brought it back in late January of this year.

We were looking at purchasing VCDS yesterday. Please just tell me it's worth $200+ bucks for the things it does. I think this is a love affair wherein I am going to make this bug run forever (including a 5-speed conversion when the 01M auto transmission fails) so it sounds like this is a thing I just need, right?

Can I get any strong opinions/recommendations as to which VCDS people like before I pull the trigger on one?

Last edited:

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Yeabut if it has slipped it has moved in the wrong direction.

If the bolts were loose one would expect the sprocket would move CW relative to the hub. In the picher the pump is advanced from the old marks.

This may be due to improper installation and the timing is now advanced as the slots allow but not enough resulting in the smoke at start.

The thing is the OP seems to be saying the smoke is a new symptom.

Yeah, I've heard of pics getting reversed when posted as jarhead mentioned except the lettering on the bolt heads is normal.

Got VCDS to check it?
I don't know that the smoke is a new thing, it may be a *remaining* thing. We have done a lot of work on this bug and it was pretty undrivable at some points - we've replaced a ton of bits and parts and cleaned the EGR and replaced the MAF and changed all of the vacuum hoses, etc. Unfortunately I have no idea when that slippage occurred, we have not looked at that until yesterday.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you plan to keep the car and/or get another VW and do your own work then you should have VCDS.

With that history I think most folks would recommend you do the timing belt. If you do it yourself with home made tools the savings will pay for the cable.

You can improvise on a lot of them. The shank of a drill bit will hold the pump. You don't need a crank holder. I've never needed a puller for the cam sprocket. The cam lock it the only one that's tricky to make if you don't have some tools.

Also, the tools can be had on Amazon for not a lot.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
It's possible that it slipped or that those are just marks from where it sat with the last timing belt. Since it's so clearly marked, you could loosen the 3 bolts and slip it back to the marked position and see if the white smoke clears up. Just mark where it is now so you can put it back if you aren't happy with the result.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
It's possible that it slipped or that those are just marks from where it sat with the last timing belt. Since it's so clearly marked, you could loosen the 3 bolts and slip it back to the marked position and see if the white smoke clears up. Just mark where it is now so you can put it back if you aren't happy with the result.
I literally missed this post and was just about to ask that. I ordered the $200 VCDS from Ross Tech, and also ordered the Diesel Purge stuff (I couldn't find a brick and mortar near me that has it), but I need to drive it in the mean time, so I wanted to try putting it back where it was. It has been long enough since the last time the timing belt was replaced that I am dubious that it's from the previous belt. I would not expect the it to be so clean and obvious where they used to be.

I have started pricing timing belt replacement kits and am adding it to the list of things to do.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Checking the torque on the bolts should tell you if it slipped but again, I don't see it slipping to a more advance position.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Different positioning due to TB change. Most recent TB install likely didn't get the static positioning in the middle of the adjustment (as the previous TB setting had it at). Just hope that there's the necessary adjustment available.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
To answer your "original" question, "Clean or replace fuel injectors?" At the current mileage of your car/engine it wouldn't hurt to have the injectors refreshed; you could go to the .205 nozzle equivalent for a bit more power and another 200k miles worth of warrantied performance of your injectors/nozzles. See DBW's website.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Different positioning due to TB change. Most recent TB install likely didn't get the static positioning in the middle of the adjustment (as the previous TB setting had it at). Just hope that there's the necessary adjustment available.
Ok, so I have already ordered the VCDS as I completely understand that is the tool I need to do the right things and provide the information necessary for you guys to actually be able to help instead of throwing random things at my TDI...but this is my daily driver so I have another shady question:

I played with the timing last night. First I tried putting it back where it was. Wouldn't turn over. Moved it back until it would turn over, then buttoned everything up for a test drive, and it wouldn't turn over again. Put it back almost to where I started, turned over and there was significantly less white smoke. Buttoned everything back up for a test drive, less smoke but still loud/rough and a little underpowered on the test drive. Put it just past where it was to start in the other (more advanced) direction, had an amazing test drive with little smoke and smooth, quiet running. Happiness.

Then this morning: took two tries at starting it to get it running, but then more of the same quiet and smooth and normally-powered running to work.

Came out of work: took 5-6 tries to get it to start. Was starting to worry I would drain the battery on start attempts. Was a little smokier/rougher right after starting, but power was normal and it was only a little louder than normal and not at all rough.

By rough I mean runs up much higher rpm's (driving around 2500-2800 and not down shifting itself) when it normally hangs out between 1900 and 2100 rpms when it's happy. And louder in a growly-not-good way when it's rough, whereby today on the way home it was just slightly louder than normal and not rough.

ACTUAL QUESTION: By default I went in the direction where it clearly used to be set, should I mess around with going further in the advanced direction today? Or do I give up until the VCDS comes which sucks cause I'm worried it won't start when I need it to tomorrow evening after work?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Generally once the engine is warm it is much more forgiving of bad timing when starting so I wouldn't pay much attention to how a hot engine starts after an adjustment.

Also making timing adjustments blindly is not a good idea so I'd wait until I had the cable. If it was starting ok I'd try to put it back where it was.

I'm wondering if you have an air leak. They can cause hard starting and rough running for a bit after it starts usually after the car has sat a few hours.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
I don't *think* I have an air leak, because we just replaced all of the vacuum hose and leak checked the larger hoses.

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. We put the timing back where it was plus just a skosh, and it is starting more reliably than it has since we revived it from the dead.

I was reading and the low power operation seems to me to match what people identify as the reason to execute the hammer mod, but I'm not touching the engine again until the VCDS arrives.

Last night we did replace the ugly, billowy, ****ty headliner though, so that makes me pretty happy. We replaced it with a tapestry that compliments the exterior paint color (which is dark blue).

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
I was thinking the hammer mod (adjusting the fuel injection quantity) might help your starting, but I didn't mention it because you need to get the VCDS first, set your timing, and THEN adjust the injection quantity..

My experience with the injection quantity is that it affects ease of starting and smoke more than power. If there's not enough fuel, it's hard to start in cold weather. If there's too much, it smokes.

The hammer mod requires loosening a bolt with a triangular security head. Some people pound a regular socket on the bolt head, but the right way to do that is to buy the MetalNerd MN3001 special socket for it. You can get it HERE or HERE for $23 + shipping.

Last edited:

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Oh I don't know about that (IQ and power).....

My '03 is bone stock EXCEPT for a set of 1019s. With the IQ turned down (lower) to just above where slowdown shudder becomes a problem I can slip the (stock) clutch in 5th gear. Turned up a couple more points there's no difference at all in starting, but the difference in power is *very* noticeable "by butt-feel" *and* objectively in that it is no longer possible to slip the clutch.

Before I gave the car to my kid I turned the IQ up because she was a new driver at the time *and* I didn't feel like doing a clutch job a month later. If and when the clutch fails anyway (it has yet to do so) I will stick a Luk RepSet in the car and turn it back to where it was, since the Luk has more holding power than the stock Sachs.....

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was my understanding that IQ sets/shifts the base fueling point(s). I haven't noticed it doing a lot vis a vis overall FE, though one isn't generally running at the points in which heavier fueling is taking place anyway. Power, though, certainly is affected; my butt dyno also tells me this.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Normally it wouldn't affect power, unless it's way out. The ECU pretty much takes over thru the RPMs.

dieseldrive

TDI
2001 Jetta
It is unlikely that it slipped in that direction (opposite the load). If the bolts were not tight enough, the load of the pump would force the slip to be the other way (these pumps take up to 5 horsepower to turn them at full load).

dieseldrive

TDI
2001 Jetta
Ok, new thread for new problems.
2002 VW Bug TDI (automatic) now starts and runs reliably. BUT
Now I have white smoke when the car starts. I am pretty sure it's misfiring on one cylinder. I think I need to clean or replace my fuel injectors. I thought originally that the white smoke was coolant, but I have done all of the checks I can find and the smoke doesn't smell sweet so I don't think it's head gasket problems.
I've been running the fuel-additive injector cleaner in every tank of diesel I get, but I am not seeing much difference and as far as I know they have never been cleaned or replaced, I have 162k miles on it at this point and I know I have carbon build up problems elsewhere (from cleaning out the EGR, planning on cleaning turbo, and intake/exhaust manifolds soon as well).
Anyway, I started reading related threads on here and apparently injector cleaning isn't a DIY for most people and I am definitely just most people when it comes to working on my TDI. So? Ship them to Frank or buy new? If new, what ones?

Also, I just got this picture of the...thing I would use to adjust timing if I had the VCDS...It is an exploratory mission at this point. Anyway, it looks like it has slipped. Is this a thing? Is my timing possibly off (timing belt itself is fine/has all of its teeth)?

IF your hub is installed correctly on the pump shaft (and they are from the factory, or from a skilled diesel fuel injection technician using the proper tools and specs), you should be able to get the timing pretty close by just adjusting the sprocket so that at TDC of the crank your alignment pin goes in. Most of the time that is good enough, unless the internals of your pump have worn significantly (drive shaft tang, x coupling, cam plate wear, and even plunger shim wear all lead to "late" timing). The ONLY reason that the injection timing should have to be altered from the pin setting is to make up for pump wear. When I rebuild (or even just reseal) these pumps I always re-index the hub so that it is back to specs, which means that you should not have to tweak the timing.

When the hub is installed to the correct lift spec of the plunger (and nothing else is worn out in the pump), and you install it using the alignment pin at exact TDC, this sets the base timing. This is where the timing stays during engine start up (the ECU CAN NEVER retard the timing later than this point - it can only advance it, but even then, the ECU CANNOT advance the timing during engine start up. This is because the timing advance piston in the pump is hydraulically actuated with pump housing pressure and at cranking speeds there is simply not enough pressure to move the piston (no matter what the ECU commands). My point with all that is that when your base timing IS correct (.85 mm plunger lift at TDC, which is what you get with the pin inserted on a pump with the hub indexed correctly) the ECU takes over from there and can do its thing. When the ECU senses it that it can't do its thing (using input from the crank sensor and #3 needle lift sensor) a correction is required (using software to see what the ECU "thinks the timing is" and adjust accordingly. Again, on a pump with the hub indexed back to new specs you should not have to deviate from that setting.

IF your pump had to be advanced as far as it looks like it may have been from the pinned position, you have some drastic wear in the pump, or the hub slipped on the driveshaft (it isn't keyed), and even if the adjustment was able to go far enough to get it into range that the ECU can work with, you are starting to get out of the range for the hydraulics of the pumping element (discharge ports of the rotor and head have to be rotational aligned at the lift spec for full fuel discharge to be accomplished before the plunger has past that port (and goes on to the port for the next cylinder).

As far as cleaning the injectors, you are correct, it takes special equipment. Most of the injectors sets that I test will have a couple of holes clogged with carbon, which is very difficult to clean. First, you must take the nozzle off of the injectors and keep them straight so that each nozzle goes back on its original injector. Also YOU MUST keep the nozzle needle with its corresponding nozzle body throughout the cleaning process (these parts are mated). The best (and only industry accepted method) is to use an ultrasonic cleaner and a cleaning agent that is effective on carbon (most HD degreasers work). After running in the ultrasonic cleaner for half and hour I reassemble them and test again, if any holes are still clogged, do it again. I have had to run some for 1 1/2 hours to get all of the holes clean.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
I was thinking the hammer mod (adjusting the fuel injection quantity) might help your starting, but I didn't mention it because you need to get the VCDS first, set your timing, and THEN adjust the injection quantity..

My experience with the injection quantity is that it affects ease of starting and smoke more than power. If there's not enough fuel, it's hard to start in cold weather. If there's too much, it smokes.

The hammer mod requires loosening a bolt with a triangular security head. Some people pound a regular socket on the bolt head, but the right way to do that is to buy the MetalNerd MN3001 special socket for it. You can get it HERE or HERE for $23 + shipping.
I think one of the issues I have been having is that I have interpreted things that seem related to me as all being part of a single problem, when that now appears unlikely.

I have a problem that looks like it can be addressed with the hammer mod - my startup has a problem. The problem involves smoke, and the tachometer jumping around between about 900 and 1k rpm in idle with puffs of white smoke, with continued jerking like that only at a bit higher rpms in drive, which continues until it is "warmed up." It also just kind of rattles when I slow down to stop, even after it's warmed up but worse when it's not. All of those jerking things have some white smoke associated.

If starting has executed successfully and I get it driving (18 miles each way to and from work) it either:

a) very occasionally drives perfectly smooth with the tachometer showing 1900-2100k through all of the driving at all of the speeds, and shifting (up or down) exactly when you expect it to/feel like is should, and this also features very quiet engine running, a quiet purr sort of a thing like its supposed to, and approximately the amount of power/acceleration/handling that this vehicle is capable of under normal running circumstances or

b) is some some combination of underpowered (from slightly annoying to somewhat distressing) and loud (growling like an old dodge ram diesel engine), usually accompanied by check engine lights. Typically this sort of running is proceeded by difficulty getting it to start (it will crank but won't turnover, or it will turnover briefly and then die, repeatedly until it starts on somewhere between the 3rd and 6th attempt).

So I thought all of my symptoms were one thing, but probably it's a bunch of stuff because the previous owner didn't know anything about engines, but had a VW shop that he trusted that he had do all of his stuff. By didn't know anything, I mean that I have receipts and one of the first one says "CUSTOMER STATES THICK GREASE LEAKING FROM REAR OF VEHICLE" followed by "FOUND CUSTOMER HAD SPILLED OIL IN TRUNK CAUSING IT TO LEAK DOWN AND OUT OF THE SPARE TIRE COMPARTMENT"

They were nice and didn't charge him for that little bit of diagnostic.

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
It is unlikely that it slipped in that direction (opposite the load). If the bolts were not tight enough, the load of the pump would force the slip to be the other way (these pumps take up to 5 horsepower to turn them at full load).
I'm quoting your first post to save space but hopefully get your attention. I'm working through your longer post but portions of it are out of my depth so I'm still chewing on it.

New info I found tonight:

At 123,792 miles (April of 2012):
replaced a/c compressor
service a/c system, check for leaks and proper operation
relace control arm bushings
replace left inner cv joint boot

At 128,180 miles (October of 2012)
replace diesel injection pump
replace diesel fuel filter
replace timing belt, rollers, tensioner, and serpentine belt
replace water pump (with timing belt) NOTE! DELETE INCORRECT PUMPS
replace dip stick tube

Those two visits combined: $4351

I paid: $3200ish, I think, for the car, that was in October of 2014. The milage on the title is exempt, so I don't know

It died in January of 2016, and sat dead until January of 2018. It now has 162k miles on it. As a part of or since reviving it:

-replaced fuel filter and fuel pickup/sender unit
-replaced cabin and engine air filters
-replaced oil filter
-replaced all vacuum hoses (per instructions found on tdiclub.com forum)
ordered a break boost pipe assembly (currently have a functional interrem assembly that has a new valve that isn't exactly the right valve because we broke the plastic nipple-deal that comes out at a 90 from the check valve while replacing the vacuum tubes...it's a little sketch but it's holding)
-replaced starter motor
-new battery
-cleaned EGR valve from caked to shiny (didn't break anti-shudder valve arm thing)
-did turbo exhaust side only Seafoam cleaning as described by several people on tdiclub forums, verified free movement of vanes and used a vacuum tool to check turbo actuator movement
-have run a bunch of fuel cleaner and injector cleaner through as full-tank additives
-replaced MAF
-messed with the timing as described in this thread.
-replaced sagging, billowing headliner (I know this doesn't matter, but I hated that and now I am happy).

Current Status: Starting easily every time, even though it was very cold this morning (22 degrees...I was worried). Not as much tach jumping at idle/low rpms...but very jerky and noisy low-speed operation, with white smoke puffing (parking lot speeds, reverse is louder than drive).

Also current status: VCDS arrived today (WOOT!!!)
Current Status Caveat: all of our laptops are Macs....Windows laptop for use with VCDS arrives Monday. (BOOOOOOOO).

What are all of the things I should check first once I can actually hook up my VCDS? If I can borrow a windows laptop before monday, should I do this, or is there limits to how many machines I can install the VCDS software on? Or does it only care about the number of VIN's it works for (I got the one that does 3, I only have one VW)?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wondering why the IP was replaced at only 129k miles. That's a pretty young age for replacement (most IPs can readily go 300k and beyond).

You can use your Mac, install Windows as a separate bootable partition or to run in a virtual machine: https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahjj I have a dual boot machine for VCDS (though I have the wireless version [very pricey] I don't like that interface so I suck up my pride and run the Windows software under Windows on from my PC that primarily boots Linux).

VCDS licensing is based on number of VINs (if limited- I opted non-limited early on [only two cars are the time] and now I have FIVE TDIs in the family, so it was a good call for me to have made that decision). Software can be installed on as many machines are you care to install it on.

What to check? Timing and Group 013 (injector deviation) will go a LONG way in helping assess things. If Group 013 looks suspicious then a compression test might be a good recommendation. But, DATA GATHERING FIRST! (more intense logging, such as recommended by Malone Tuning is best as it'll give a pretty comprehensive look- but, this is stressful testing, any significant mechanical issues might exhibit themselves in costly ways [first and foremost is to make sure there's no pooled oil in the intercooler plumbing].)

optimism

TDI
2002 VW Beetle
I can upload the service report/receipt if it might help. The "Customer Stated" portion was that it smelled like gas [sic] outside the door, and then inside the car with the door closed. Previous owner wouldn't have had any idea whether he needed a new IP or not...

We drilled a hole in the low point of the intercooler housing/tubing, so I can check for/drain oil by removing a single screw (that plugs said hole).

After about a month of daily driving, there was 5 mL of oil in the intercooler plumbing.

Thanks for the info on the VCDS software, looks like we can probably start data gathering today based on what you told me. Thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The why won't help much, I'm sure it was cause of the fuel smell, must have had leaks.
Important that it was replaced with a proper part, there is some junk being sold.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The why won't help much, I'm sure it was cause of the fuel smell, must have had leaks.
Important that it was replaced with a proper part, there is some junk being sold.
It's looking like the shop messed up the static timing. IF they can screw that up they could readily screw up the diagnosis.

WHY matters. It's quite possible that the original problem is NOT addressed: so there's a note about fuel smell- it's too easy to just climb on the IP R&R bandwagon because of it being done. But, yeah, unlikely going to get a straight answer, not from a shop that is unable to set static timing after installing an IP.

PO of my car took it into a shop that she'd been taking it to for (at least) 7 years. Complained of: "rear shock noise." Shop noted that they found the shocks to be OK. I got the car; totally crapped out rear axle bushings. In this case both the customer and the shop were right, yet, the problem remained...