New twist to the Hesitation question?

TDIcrackpot

TDI
2006 Jetta
About 3 to 4 weeks ago I started to have a hesitation problem when I dropped the hammer. did the search, sounds like a dirty fuel filter. Paid some money got the bentlies manual and a new filter. After I placed the order the problem went away. Great! I can save the filter for the another time.
Today we had that nasty cold snap in the north east (12 degrees F north of NYC). On the way to work the hesitation/jerk was back with a vengeance. Could this be water frozen in the filter or is this indicative of another problem? I gave the car a good 5min to warm up and didnt try to give her more than half throtle until she was up to temp and the car was fine yesterday :confused: when the weather was warmer.

Any suggestions/insights?
Thanks,

p.s. As a newbie this is my first thread!
My car is 2005.5 Jetta TDI (A5) with just under 30k miles.

TDIcrackpot

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks JPDiesel.
I guess I am going to have to change the fuel filter after all. Not a big deal as I already have one but I am surprised at the intermittent nature of the symptoms.

TDIcrackpot

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hey DanEboy, don’t get me wrong here. I bought the car used from a dealer back in June with 20K on it just took it to the dealer for the 30k service already, and then this hesitation bug bit me shortly there after. I am new and learning the ropes about the VW diesels, but generally I know my way around cars. But thank you for the concern.
;)