Electrify America (VW) Commercial

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
How many times and how long did it take you to recharge in those 2000 miles?
Every 2 hours or so we would stop for 20 minutes. Enough time to walk the dog, go to the restroom, or grab a bite to eat. So I think that was 4 stops on the way from DC to Detroit MI?

The Model 3 long range can change at 120KW up to ~60% :eek:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That 2 hour stop frequency is a good safety setting anyway. Gives you time to stretch and wake up a little, if you're having that issue behind the wheel. We try to follow that on the road but probably end up closer to every 3 hours. We will switch drivers at that time too, depending on terrain. My wife doesn't like driving in the mountains or over bridges.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How many times and how long did it take you to recharge in those 2000 miles? When it's time to replace the JSW, we might go electric. That should be in another 4 years or so. Should be a lot more options out there by then.

I keep having the Audi Etron ads pop up in my facebook.
It ended up being 20 minutes about every 2 - 2.5 hours, after the initial stint of 4 hours. We stopped about that often anyway when traveling with the dog, so charging didn't end up taking any more time than normal stops. We've rented several Teslas for road trips in recent years and the Model 3 long range compares with the Model S 100 kWh in terms of charging speed. It's impressively quick and likely to speed up even more once Supercharger version 3 is released.

Congrats! I see you guys took delivery of your model 3. Seems like an amazing vehicle from all of the reviews I've read.
I had very high expectations for the car and it has exceeded them in every category. All I can say is "wow!"

Every 2 hours or so we would stop for 20 minutes. Enough time to walk the dog, go to the restroom, or grab a bite to eat. So I think that was 4 stops on the way from DC to Detroit MI?

The Model 3 long range can charge at 120KW up to ~60% :eek:
We could have done it with two 45-50 minute stops instead of four 20-minute stops. It's faster to stop more often and only charge to 60% since the charge rate tapers off above that. There's quite a bit of flexibility, so you can plan your stops the way you want rather than following a rigid schedule, or else.

Regarding low charge warnings, the navigation system is constantly updating your estimated charge percentage at destination arrival. If you're cutting it close, it will tell you to slow down to 70 or 65 or whatever speed to make it to your destination. If you don't slow down or you end up using more energy due to bad weather, it will reroute you to the closest Supercharger. If you ignore the warnings and continue beyond the recommended Supercharger, it will warn you that you aren't going to make it and suggest that you find a public charging station. If you still keep driving, the car will warn you to pull over safely before you run out completely.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The radio commercial now has a tag saying it was paid for by VWofA.