Moving to North Dakota. TDI Extreme Cold?

golforfiesta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I will be moving to ND in Janauary for work. My 2011 Golf TDI will be the vehicle I will be taking. I'm concerned about cold weather start issues. Temps can sink to -45 F on occassion. Will this car start? Any options I can have installed before I move to make sure it starts? I can't afford a new vehicle right now so the TDI will have to do. I'm also concerned that the nearest VW dealers are 400 to 500 miles away in case I need warranty work. Am I making a big mistake taking this car out here? any honest opinions appreciated. The car has 11,000 miles on it and I've had zero trouble with it so far.
Thanks

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
You can't afford a new car?? I think you have a new car. Just joking-understand.

Yes the car will start that cold. Make sure you are driving till it gets operating temps on the engine so it can flush the fuel out of the fuel filter and boil off some of the oil condensate (ever see white milky oil-I have). Might want to do Stanadyne fuel additive just incase. Find a good way to block the radiator, make sure you have a metal belly pan. Good snow tires are your friend out there-trust me. They don't plow roads often and when they do they don't use any salt and only a little sand. Chipped windsheilds and sand blasted front ends are the norm.

If you have access to a plug in a frost heater is good. If you can figure out how to install there is a couple options that use some battery juice to burn the diesel fuel that heats the cab/engine. Truckers use those.

On trips(even a few miles) pack what you would need to live in your car safely for a few days. Seen in happen more then once in SD were I lived for a few years and in WY. Might even want to look at spikes-spider tire chains. Installing a hitch on the car would help give a better attachment point to get pulled out if needed. May want to pre-install the front hook (screws in) as burried in a drift trying to thread it in would suck.

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
I take mine home to North Western Iowa each year and it sits outside in crazy winds with lovely temps down to -15 or worse and I've no issues.

Do invest in some power service or other brand of additive, if for nothing else than peace of mind.

If you can get a frost heaters I would, as its much nicer to have the engine start smoothly and be somewhat pre-warmed when it gets that cold.

I wouldn't worry about being so far from a dealer, it may even keep you OUT of trouble :)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Oh ya. Forgot to comment on the dealer part. Find a guru if possible or learn to turn your own wrench. Unless you are Ford, Chevy or Dodge other dealers are few are far between. When I was in WY it was 130 miles to my nearest VW place for recalls. Then I had a spout where it was 160 till the one north of me came back on line (Saab dealer that supported VW till the actaull VW dealer moved in but there was a several month interm.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
If you are talking about moving to NW North Dakota (Williston, Minot, etc) area, it's a lot different than NW Iowa. South Dakota, Wyoming, etc. are cold but this is a new level when we are talking prolonged coldness. It's not even an option - you need to get a block heater installed and figure out how to get it plugged in or there will just be days that your car isn't going to start. Many people with diesels that work in the oil fields will just leave them running all day during the winter up there.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
You can't afford a new car?? I think you have a new car. Just joking-understand.

Yes the car will start that cold. Make sure you are driving till it gets operating temps on the engine so it can flush the fuel out of the fuel filter and boil off some of the oil condensate (ever see white milky oil-I have). Might want to do Stanadyne fuel additive just incase. Find a good way to block the radiator, make sure you have a metal belly pan. Good snow tires are your friend out there-trust me. They don't plow roads often and when they do they don't use any salt and only a little sand. Chipped windsheilds and sand blasted front ends are the norm.

If you have access to a plug in a frost heater is good. If you can figure out how to install there is a couple options that use some battery juice to burn the diesel fuel that heats the cab/engine. Truckers use those.

On trips(even a few miles) pack what you would need to live in your car safely for a few days. Seen in happen more then once in SD were I lived for a few years and in WY. Might even want to look at spikes-spider tire chains. Installing a hitch on the car would help give a better attachment point to get pulled out if needed. May want to pre-install the front hook (screws in) as burried in a drift trying to thread it in would suck.
x2
The car will do fine with good winter tires and a block heater, those that run on diesel are great!

Always carry warm clothes/blankets in the car, getting stranded when it's that cold is no fun, BTDT.

drrck

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS MKIV
Point of my prior post was I had no problems w/o a FrostHeater @ -25F. So with a heater you'll be golden in much, much colder weather.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
FYI for everyone, they do sell these cars further North then North Dakota and they aren't dead in the water once it gets cold. VW has a very well designed system so they will start (high compression and smart glow plug system) and they return the fuel to the fuel filter unless it gets warm enought to prevent fuel gelling. Now that doesn't mean it will fire right away but it should start at temps you will see. I have started mine without a heater on with both the 81 rabbits and the 04 Golf at -35 in WY. The Golf started easier-except during that inbetween glow plug recall. It wasn't the greatest then. I did have to plug in and I had a jump pack to keep starting till it would start and had to use the compression to warm the engine enough to start those few times without a plug in.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem with North Dakota isn't being 'North'. It also depends where you are talking about but I'm speaking from experience. If you are in the Williston / Minot area there are days your car won't start without a block heater - simple as that. It routinely gets to be 30-40 below or more windchill there. Again, it's also the prolonged coldness that is a factor, too.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
just plug it in at night....glow plug twice...use additive and drive da car !!!!

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I'm in MN and have never had much of a problem however you may want to look into the frost heater. Check out frostheater.com which is located here in MN. You could stop by and have them install one on your way to ND.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
This is North Dakota. Not the Yukon... We get similar -40C weeks here. Never had a diesel but I do know some folks who do have them and they seem to start alright.

Might want to block the front grill for increased heat and a block heater with a timer is the best option. Have the timer set to start your block heater about 30min-1hour before you drive. Keeps the wear and tear down too. :)

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
You're fine.

A coolant heater is a good idea and will prolong the life of your engine as well as making it more comfortable when you first get in.

A winterfront is also a good idea if you do alot of highway driving.

Winter tires are a GREAT idea. You might've driven in "some" snow before but there's nothing quite like a 4 month ice pack covering the roads with a couple cm's of fluffy stuff on top.

Plenty of TDI's in colder regions... mine hasn't let me down yet.

BTW: If you get a timer, set it for 3 hours before you want to leave. Any sooner and you risk warming it up enough to fool the coolant temperature sensor but not warm enough to get a good start. You'll be left with a half warm motor and no glow plugs.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Panzerplate by Dieselgeek.
Frostheater coolant heater. (120 volt plugin needed)
Dieselkleen winter formula.

Warm clothes,energy bars, water, flashlight, shovel, etc.
Basically what everyone else has posted....

Bill

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
I don't feel like starting your car without a heater is going to be an issue. However, it is a lot more advisable to go ahead and get a heater if you wish to be comfortable in your car. IIRC the new VW diesels are supposed to be even better at starting in the cold that all of the models previous.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Apparently my experience of being there and not having the TDI start on a couple of the coldest days shouldn't count as experience in this situation. Feel free to take advice you want to take as there seem to be many experts that tell you that your car will always start but if you have a block heater I don't see how it could hurt you. By the way, there will be days when you shouldn't even attempt to drive anywhere at all in a TDI (or any vehicle) but maybe I don't know have good judgment there either.

In summary, a TDI will serve you just as well as any other vehicle in North Dakota.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Being from ND - you should be aware of the difference between "-40 ambient" and "Wind Chill -40".

Wind chill will have zero impact (except for the ambient temperature) on any vehicle, but it has a great deal to do with how the cold and wind feel on flesh.

Some of our Canadian members (and Alaska ones too) experiance the same conditions or worse.

Mostly, same good old winter advice -
Oil - 5w-x or 0w-x
good battery
coolant properly antifreezed.
Good glowplugs
proper winterized fuel

a frost heater would probably be a good idea, especially if the vehicle is not kept in a heated garage. And yes - there are conditions that no one should be going anywhere in any vehicle.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Apparently my experience of being there and not having the TDI start on a couple of the coldest days shouldn't count as experience in this situation. Feel free to take advice you want to take as there seem to be many experts that tell you that your car will always start but if you have a block heater I don't see how it could hurt you. By the way, there will be days when you shouldn't even attempt to drive anywhere at all in a TDI (or any vehicle) but maybe I don't know have good judgment there either.

In summary, a TDI will serve you just as well as any other vehicle in North Dakota.
The last statement is the best said really. The TDI will function as good as other vehicles. If the others can't start then chances are yours shouldn't either. I have see frozen batteries as well where they split apart. This is one area you don't mess around. Starters can get weak with time as well and might not be up to the task when really cold. Mine makes noise when it starts to get cold. So far I have not had a vehicle not start on me no matter the temp out living in South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wyoming and working in Montana. But I always had good batteries and good maintenance to everything I owned. Even my 04 would start with the bad glow plug recall if I turned it over till the battery was almost dead as the compression heated the cylinders enough to start it up with the faulty glow plugs without being plugged in but I had a jump pack as backup. I did freeze a few filters on the rabbits. They would always start and it was with some summer fuel in the tanks yet (mixed). I added a new style filter to the car (drove more) so it would return the fuel to the filter from the engine and never have gelled that one. Still did on the truck though.

golforfiesta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks for all the replies. I've used Opti-lube XPD additive since day one in my Golf. Need to winterize it if I'm heading out that way. The guy who hired me said you must get some type of heater of you'll be parking it for days where it gets -35 or colder. This is extreme cold and the effects on any vehicel are greatly amplified once you get below -25F.

This job is located in Dickinson ND. They get temps to -45 F (without wind chill). I wouldn't have bought this car if I'd known I was moving out this way but it's new and my truck is way too old to trust out there. Nearest VW dealerships are Fargo ND (292 miles) and Billings MT (317 miles). Maybe I should just sell the thing?

flyingmikey

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle TDI
I'm from Canada, my diesel beetle is 12 years old with 410000K on it ... all you need to do is put diesel additive with each fill-up and if you have a block heater, use it on days colder than -15C, you won't have any problems, especially that your car is new. (You don't need to glow twice, block the grill, or anything else like that, the cars are designed for cold weather usage, the most important thing is diesel additive so the fuel doesn't gel)

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the replies. I've used Opti-lube XPD additive since day one in my Golf. Need to winterize it if I'm heading out that way. The guy who hired me said you must get some type of heater of you'll be parking it for days where it gets -35 or colder. This is extreme cold and the effects on any vehicel are greatly amplified once you get below -25F.

This job is located in Dickinson ND. They get temps to -45 F (without wind chill). I wouldn't have bought this car if I'd known I was moving out this way but it's new and my truck is way too old to trust out there. Nearest VW dealerships are Fargo ND (292 miles) and Billings MT (317 miles). Maybe I should just sell the thing?

Dickinson is about 2 hours south of the area I was talking about and not as cold but still cold. I guess you just have to decide if you are going to listen to the people that have direct experience with living there or those that are telling you that all will be well.

As I already mentioned, there is no need to sell your car. Personally, I would have a 4wd in that environment but the days you need to use it are somewhat limited. There are just days you won't be going anywhere. The thing is that there is nothing you can buy for a car that is going to perform any better. When it gets as cold as it does there it's just likely that several things won't start. About 99% of the time the TDI will start without a block heater and a good battery. It will start all the time with a good battery and a block heater. A block heater is something I see as a near necessity as it so much easier on the car, starts it like it's the middle of summer, and gives you almost instant heat. Seriously, you will be fine with the TDI there....GET A FROST HEATER.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
here is the thread you want to read.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=231504

if my 98 jetta TDI can start at -45c without plugging it in, yours will start.

Right....because that means his will, too, then.

If only I had your car on the few days mine wouldn't start in 40 below then I could change my facts...and opinion.

By the way, if you read on, one guy talks about FINALLY getting it to start at 30 below and some 'semi-successful' attempts at 25 below before he installed a frost heater.

Last edited:

golforfiesta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks FLETCHMAN . I called the guy who hired me again and he said to get some sort of heater installed...period. He's lived there all his life and he said once it gets past -25 F , all bets are off! ALL the locals have them. I'll be getting some sort of engine heater.

Once you get lower than -25 F, the chances of the engine NOT starting go DOWN exponentialy regardless of glow plug technology, etc. Every -5 degrees F decrease in temp, from -25 F on down means it's more likely that your vehicle will not start. Everything has a freezing point regardless of the manufacturers claim. This is what the 55 year old guy who hired me told me so I'll take his word for it. Almost all the LOCALS have some sort of engine heater installed. so will I.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Thanks FLETCHMAN . I called the guy who hired me again and he said to get some sort of heater installed...period. He's lived there all his life and he said once it gets past -25 F , all bets are off! ALL the locals have them. I'll be getting some sort of engine heater.

Once you get lower than -25 F, the chances of the engine NOT starting go DOWN exponentialy regardless of glow plug technology, etc. Every -5 degrees F decrease in temp, from -25 F on down means it's more likely that your vehicle will not start. Everything has a freezing point regardless of the manufacturers claim. This is what the 55 year old guy who hired me told me so I'll take his word for it. Almost all the LOCALS have some sort of engine heater installed. so will I.
The frost heater has a T stat no need for a timer just plug it in. Good luck on your new job.

Last edited:

frankie8686

TDI
slowTdI
I live in minot ND and it gets about -45 in the winter but thats with wind ambient temp. is about -20ish. frost heater is the way to go 140$$ well worth it and it will get here in about 2 days easy to install. fargo is the nearest dealership here and its very hard to get parts, i am having problems getting coolant but im going to make a drive for it 4hr drive, and ur fuel milage will drop from 40mpgs to about 28ish nothing u can do about that but my 2005 tdi does pretty good but its only nov lol keep the car.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm a little disappointed that somebody that hasn't lived there isn't still telling you that your car will start no matter what. :)

Ack

TDI
2005 Jetta ( early model)
Yea not to woory I live even farther north the ND and as long as you have a good heating system( heat the engine overnight etc) things will be good