gtb1749vk on 1.9tdi

AFNquattro

TDI
'98 AFN Audi A4 quattro
I'm looking for someone who has an impression of the gtb1749vk on a vp 1.9tdi. The said turbo is off a 4.2tdi where there is a pair of them, it is water cooled and on the air inlet it has the anti-surge. It was converted to a vacuum operated actuator and at the moment is on an afn with 0.216 nozzles, pd130 intake with race pipe and is kept at 1,45bar boost. Runs better feeling wise than the previous turbo (gt1749va). Spools good and has a good "shove" but has anyone explored the limits of this turbo on the vp tdi. I have a 3bar map on the way to try and kick the boost up but will probably run out of injectors pretty soon after that.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
You will have no trouble running 2 bar boost (PR=3) with that turbo. Run just under 3000 mbar so that you don't saturate the 3 bar MAP sensor, and only enough boost to clear the smoke under your current fueling or it will be wasted and cost you fuel efficiency by having the vanes more closed than it needs to be.

What is the part number of your manifold? I haven't been able to find one that has the inlet pointed in the same direction as yours.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
From personal experiance, 2bar boost only for midrange. It can do 210-220hp when pushed but with that boost on higher rpm cw did 230k rpm...

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Bv43 will not sustain 2Bar of boost in midrange without sufering, 1.7-1.8 Bar would be safe... I would ditch it altogether and get a 1756vk as a minimum or a gtb2060vklr...less surge and lower egt as well !

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
It'll do 1.85bar happily though (mine has for 40k miles) and just bolts on, Fine for 210bhp :) Its a very good turbo.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, however after driving a few cars with bv43 and gtb1756vk turbos then the difference is there ! I have fitted a bv43a to a pd100 audi a3 a few years ago and that car was nice up to 100Mph however a s3 2.0 tdi PPD170 Bhp with DPF delete, gtb1756vk and a Unicorn racing tune was in another league altogether !

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Dubious claim that a 60mm compressor would have less surge than a 49mm GT17V or BV43.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I drove a couple of gtb2060vklr 2.0 tdi and the pick up and transient is as good as the small frame gt turbos without increased egt and also better top end ! On the small gtb1749vk boost creep is an issue, whilst they seem perfect on paper they have their limitations... I am not trying to start a pissing contest, it’s just my own conclusions- feel free to disagree !

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
No pissing match intended, just none of what you stated describes surge. Facts and accuracy matter to me, that's all. :)

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Pretty common to hear a boost spike on tip-in referred to as "surge" or else a "torque spike" because the car "surges forward". A bigger turbo responds slower so it is "smoother" with "no surge just smooth power" or whatever.

Compressor surge as a technical term is something else entirely

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Bottoming out my sprung hub clutch disk sounded like surge to my untrained ear, originally. When when I experienced it on my boost gauge with 0 to 10 PSI cyclic spikes, I learned that it isn't something you always hear.