"Oil Change Needed"

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Weird new issue with my 2015... When I turn the key on, I get the message "Oil Change Needed" and a yellow oil container light. Information here and on the internet seems spotty, and all recommend to reset the service intervals. I did, both the oil interval and inspection interval. Confirmed by keying through the menu to find the oil interval at 10,000 and inspection at 18,700. I've gone as far as to use VCDS to reset the intervals... it's on most days, but some days it doesn't show up.

At this point, I'm thinking oil level sensor?

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Your oil level is too high. The car assumes that you are running biodiesel and it has filled the crankcase. I could never get mine to reset either using vagcom after the idiot dealer overfilled it with oil. I changed the oil properly, the dealer reset the light and it hasn't been back on since. They did metion they see quite a few failures of the level sensor and ordered one for my car, but I haven't been back to let them screw up anything else and the light hasn't been back either.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Does the dealer still do the care free ("it's free so we don't care") oil changes?

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Thanks engineerorange -- Indeed, it was overfilled. I usually put 1/2 qt extra in my cars... been doing for 15 years. This car has never seen a drop of bio diesel. VCDS did say "Poor Oil Quality" on the service reset, but I've seen it say that by default on other gasoline VAG products.... so I disregarded it. I sucked 1/2 qt out of the dipstick and the light turned off and stayed off.

On another note, I traded the car in... It's the first time in the same 15 years that I haven't had a Euro in the driveway.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
I also just barely overfilled with oil and now my red oil warning light comes on intermittently. I didn't wait long enough after I changed it I guess to settle in the pan and give me an accurate reading, I'd say I'm a half quart over. It's a real pain in the ass. I get all kinds of paranoid about it. I guess I'll have to siphon some of the oil out of it.

Hopefully I haven't damaged anything, it already leaks like a sieve so no harm there LOL

Anyway it might also be loose wires because every once in a while it also indicates low water when the water at the exact right level. Clock light flickers, radio goes on and off. The car is possessed. but the oil light, well that ones most likely my fault

CowboyCVW

TDI
2015 Jetta SE TDI
To reset the light you have to have the car running, open the door and then the hood. reverse those steps and the light will go off. However if the situation is not corrected within 50 miles the light and message will reappear.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
If I may ask, was the car giving you any issues/problems that you traded in?