TDIFest 2013 coming to Sunday River Ski Resort (Newry, Maine)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Hmmm, thinking about the drive from WPB Florida. Wife is in, so long as it doesn't affect other plans. But, dammmmnnn, that's a long drive at 60mph. If we make the trip you'll all get to see why.

When are the threads starting about people caravaning and meeting up for the drive? ;)

Jason
That's awesome - glad you and your wife are considering making the trip up.

I think you should be the first person to start a caravan thread... FL to ME! :cool:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Is anyone coming from the I-81 area of Virginia?
Jason and I are coming up from the DC beltway. Not exactly I-81, but not far. We'll probably be leaving on Wednesday before the Fest to get things set up.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Slightly OT. I won't be coming to Maine but I just finished reading a book on Benedict Arnold's expedition through there to Quebec in 1775. Is it possible to follow the route fairly easily?

cr4zy3lgato

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
Maine to Qc you mean? I've done it in the opposite direction and it was a fun trip, but with small roads... expect some serious road degradation when you cross the border :eek:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
No, the actual route: up the Kennebec River, then they portaged over to the Dead River and ascended it toward Lake Megantic and from there descended down the Chaudiere to the St. Lawrence. Is that the route you followed in reverse?

cr4zy3lgato

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
Ha ha... No i was talking a more "TDI friendly" route... And going forward... ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

J'ville

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI w/Sunroof
Just joined the site and the northern NE would be a welcome relief from the long hot summer here (Jax Fl). Any good bicycle trails up there?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Depends on what you are looking for. Most road riders just stay on the road, and I would have to check for mountain bike trails in the area. Traffic isn't that busy most of the time so road riding isn't an issue like it is down in Fla.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
There are numerous bike trails (rail trails (flat) and mountain biking). And lots of on-road bike routes (all really hilly). I will probably bring my bicycle and find a place to ride. If you google map the area, you can pick bike routes on the drop down menu and it will show all the bike trails in green. How much of a work out were you hoping for?

WPB TDI FRED

TDI
03 JETTA - Stick
Just joined the site and the northern NE would be a welcome relief from the long hot summer here (Jax Fl). Any good bicycle trails up there?

J'ville:

Bonjour! Welcome to the site!! You will find the site interesting, and the people here informative, understanding, and open-minded of different views. :rolleyes:

As to bike trails, another poster previously observed that the area appears to be infested with wildlife; particularly moose. It appears that it is not unlikely to find a moose (or two) running loose in the area. I would hate to be on a bike going uphill without water, and with some moose on my tail steaming towards me.

In Alaska, the people there all walk around with rifles to defend against wildwife. If you have never been to Alaska, you might consider watching that show on tv about the Game Warden Service in Maine (on Animal Planet?), or Wild West Alaska. Both shows are representative of what you might encouter out there in the wilderness.

You might have better luck (with safety and exercise) if you ride your bike in downtown Jax with a few homies instead of peddling on some broken-down path of weeds in Maine, pretending to be a bike trail, and without knowing what lurks around the next bush.

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. As to getting some relief from hot summer days, I would suggest beautiful Jacksonville beach (as opposed to some dirty river water in Maine).

Or if you go a tad to the north from Jax, you have Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach, and Fernandina Beach, or a bit south you have St. Augustine and Daytona Beach.

Even better, if you are really suffering from heat stroke from those hot summer days, you might even drive to Miami Beach for nude beaches (a mere 327 miles vs. 1,800 ! )(but don't stroke), or the best place of all, Kokomo and Margaritaville in beautiful Key West, Florida (a mere 500 miles from Jax).

Bring sun protection, a fishing pole or scuba gear, some cold drinks, and the hot and well-tanned babes will be everywhere. :D

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
As to bike trails, another poster previously observed that the area appears to be infested with wildlife; particularly moose. It appears that it is not unlikely to find a moose (or two) running loose in the area. I would hate to be on a bike going uphill without water, and with some moose on my tail steaming towards me.

In Alaska, the people there all walk around with rifles to defend against wildwife. If you have never been to Alaska, you might consider watching that show on tv about the Game Warden Service in Maine (on Animal Planet?), or Wild West Alaska. Both shows are representative of what you might encouter out there in the wilderness.

You might have better luck (with safety and exercise) if you ride your bike in downtown Jax with a few homies instead of peddling on some broken-down path of weeds in Maine, pretending to be a bike trail, and without knowing what lurks around the next bush.
No offense, but you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. I mountain and road bike, hike, and ski the area of the Fest (not to mention years off Off-Roading in both of the Jeep Clubs located in Bethel), and have never had a problem with any wildlife in my lifetime. Road biking is especially great in the area and the Trek Across Maine starts from that location. The Appalachian Trail is just a few miles north and provides some great hiking, with the Mahoosuc Notch being the toughest section of the whole 2,200 mile AT.

Finding a Moose is a probability, but mostly during the twilight hours on dirt roads. If you like biking, bring your bike.

J'ville

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI w/Sunroof
Thx for the info on bike riding up there.
The only uphill challenge you have here are some of the larger bridges. And I like challenges so the Maine hills will be that.
I ride 25-40 miles 3-4 times a week.
I would consider the heat of the summer the worst time of year here, as thunderstorms can sneak up on you anytime after noon. But you can bike all year long here.
I have a 3G heavy beach cruiser that I often take to Jax Beach to cool off in the Summer. Some spectacular scenery peddling down that stretch.:eek:

I have noted that the bike rack with two bikes lowers my fuel mileage by about 4 mpg. It seems to break up the aero air flow.

Thx for the welcome!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Roof rack or trunk / bumper mount?
Roof rack definitely hurts, that's why I don't have one any more.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
2 kayaks on the roof and 2 bikes mounted to the trunk REALLY drop the fuel economy, but its still better than taking a truck, or renting those things once you get there....I may bring the kayaks too. Of course, I'm a lot closer than you are.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
One bedroom king suite booked for the clan.

Y'all be aware that the resort IMMEDIATELY charges your card for 50% of the room rate. :( Plan ahead if using debit card for reservation.

Oh, yeah. The reservation folks talk funny.......;)

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Oh, yeah. The reservation folks talk funny.......;)
Speaking Maine'r is actually quite easy, there are only a few rules:

The key is to relax your jaw. Say "Mainer." Notice the tension in your jaw and how it opens only slightly. Now say "Mainah," letting your lower jaw drop on the "ah" paht (er, I mean "part"). Practice saying it in an exaggerated manner to get the feel. Now you're ready for the rules of Mainespeak.

1. Words that end in "er" are pronounced "ah." Mainer = Mainah. Car = Cah. Mother and Father = Muthah and Fathah. Water = Watah. You get the drift.
  2. Conversely, words that end in "a" are sometimes, but not always, pronounced "er." California becomes Californier. Idea becomes idear. Yoga becomes Yoger.
  3. Drop the "g" in "ing." Stopping and starting = stoppin' and startin', or more correctly, stoppin' and stahtin'.
  4. Broaden a and e sounds. Calf becomes cahf. Bath becomes bahth. Can't becomes cahn't.
  5. Drag out some one-syllable words into two syllables. There becomes they-uh. Here becomes hee-ah.
Here is a handy guide comprised of most of the words you'll need.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Darn, we won't be showing people why I drive 60 MPH

And I like the bikes idea. Will need to see about fitting them in the new car

Jason

BTW, any Florida, Georgia, Carolinas club members that want to meet up on the way up?? We will likely drive I95 most of the way.

BIO-PWR

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '15 GSW S with 6MT
Biodiesel Interest?

Anyone interested in having B100 biodiesel available on site? If we can gauge interest, I'm sure that Maine Standard Biofuels, White Mountain Biodiesel or Outpost Biodiesel could deliver. Even if you splash blend in your tank to B20 (or more) it will keep us from sooting up the Mount Washington Auto Road!

#keepinitgreen

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
You know Abacus, the cog railway has three new diesel/hydraulic engines in the fleet now that they run on bio (not sure on %) powered by John Deere 6125H engines. They still run the steam engines for the steam buffs which thankfully appears to be going the way of the buggy whip and as you'd expect, the diesels are faster getting to the top.