Fitted Quaife to 02M, now sounds like straight cut/reverse in all gears

Sheppy

TDI
Polo GT TDi, 2260, Stock injectors, 225bhp
Hello all,

New Quaife LSD fitted on 02m, gearbox sounds like straight cut through all the gears. Like a ****ing race car. Cool but not cool.

Noise on throttle, noise off throttle, noise goes away when 0 load on the gearbox (just tiny bit of throttle)

100% wheel speed related.

Concerns before hearing the noise:
- Possibly slightly too thick shim, didn't *fully* torque gearbox case down when measuring backlash
- Ring gear from an almost identical but different box (from ibiza box, old style, still 02m, without the input shaft cover on outside of box, with actual ball bearings for the selector rods instead of journal type, other minor differences - into newer style 02m with the opposite of what I just listed)

Any ideas?

I've so far figured out (based on above):

- Must be diff/output shaft related (based on wheel speed)
- It's related to both output shafts, or diff, as noise in all gears
- Probably to do with the mesh between ring gear and output shafts (maybe using a donor ring gear wasn't a good idea?)

Cheers

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
ring gear has to match the Input shaft, that wont mesh right if its 1 tooth less

Sheppy

TDI
ring gear has to match the Input shaft, that wont mesh right if its 1 tooth less
Do you mean the output shafts?

I think this is the issue.

There's one more possibility, I installed a washer behind the input shaft snap ring (like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY )

It was a very tight fit, I had to squash the snap ring back into place (it wouldn't "snap" into place).

I'll remove that washer and check again. If not, gonna swap the ring gear

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Did you change clutches as well? I have the exact noise you describe but have been assured it's clutch chatter from the SMF clutch setup (I replaced both at the same time). I did the work myself so naturally I figured it was me that fubared something. It's not terribly loud anymore after 4k miles, but still there. I do have an 02Q but it's extremely similar to the 02M. DC stage 3 clutch with fluidampr as well. Only regret is that I should have opted for a heavier flywheel to maybe reduce that noise, I went with 17lb SMF.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sheppy

TDI
Sorry I never updated it, been busy fixing this stuff.

Crown wheel was wrong size.

Clutch chatter sounds completely different and only when on idle/low RPM

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
glad its sorted

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
DC stage 3 clutch with fluidampr as well Only regret is that I should have opted for a heavier flywheel to maybe reduce that noise, I went with 17lb SMF.
adjat,

Which vehicle did you do this to? I'm working up my "02 Golf, next step
is a bigger turbo and a DC clutch. I had an SBC2 End on my sadly deceased mkVI and found that a fluidampr helped reduce the chatter of the steel synchros.

On the ALH I've got a 21# SMF, just a valeo that came with my swap kit. Works alright with what I've got in terms of tune at the moment, and the brass synchros on the 02J aren't complaining.

With the next power boost, 17/22 perhaps, I'll need a better clutch and I've been toying with the idea of a 17# flywheel with a 6# fluidampr on the other end of the crank to keep responsiveness. This was appreciable after my MkVI clutch upgrade, smoothed out the vibrations, but definitely slowed the response. Car made heaps of power, so it was a minor issue.

Different tranny and engine and I won't be taking the ALH as far power/torque wise. Looking for 140whp/250#, should be obtainable
without going to crazy, or expensive.

You're the first mention I've found of someone doing what I'm contemplating. Any details, impressions, experience with the mod
would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
R*2

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I did the upgrade to my '15 Golf. But, I have the old non-silent SBC stage 3 in my ALH that is a great clutch but makes plenty of chatter. Not enough that I'd spend the money on another fluidampr for it though as the 02J can handle it.
I personally prefer the pedal feel of the DC clutch in my golf better than the SBC in my jetta, so I would go that route in the future.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did you change clutches as well? I have the exact noise you describe but have been assured it's clutch chatter from the SMF clutch setup (I replaced both at the same time).

Who ever told you that has no clue about what they are talking about. It's an old car salesmen trick really. if you don't know the answer to a question, just make something up.

The noise you hear with it in neutral and idling is clatter in the transmission gears and will go away if you rev to about 1500 RPMs. In any situation a SMF clutch is completely silent.

If you at any time during the install the transmission it was support only by the input shaft you may have damaged the input shaft or the input bearing.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Who ever told you that has no clue about what they are talking about. It's an old car salesmen trick really. if you don't know the answer to a question, just make something up.

The noise you hear with it in neutral and idling is clatter in the transmission gears and will go away if you rev to about 1500 RPMs. In any situation a SMF clutch is completely silent.

If you at any time during the install the transmission it was support only by the input shaft you may have damaged the input shaft or the input bearing.
You are wrong. The noise might be the gears rattling which a DMF is there to prevent and/or dampen but even a perfectly good transmission will still have a slight rattle even with the best SMF kits.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
You are wrong. The noise might be the gears rattling which a DMF is there to prevent and/or dampen but even a perfectly good transmission will still have a slight rattle even with the best SMF kits.
Wrong about what exactly? I thought I explained what sounds you get from the transmission with a SMF. The tranny gears do not rattle when there is a load on the transmission and the rattle will disappear as well when you are in neutral or in gear and rev to about 1500 RPMs.

The OP's complaint is that he has a rattling noise load on but none when the gears floating (no Load). A serviceable SMF clutch makes no noise which whoever he talked to said was the problem (SMF) which is complete nonsense.

No, I'm not wrong. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and politely say you are confused.:eek:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Poor word choice on my part. Yes, the gears are what rattle and make noise because of the SMF! I can't imagine how much louder it might be without the fluidampr there.
I definitely did not have the tranny supported by the input shaft upon install. Helper from above with me below and it was in place in ten seconds after angling up the rear to clear the subframe.

Obviously OPs issue was something else though.