ALH GTB2268 Build Thread

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
After being on the forums for a few years now and watching what other people have come up with for their builds, I figured that I would jump in and post a thread about my 1999.5 ALH Golf. A little background knowledge on the car. I bought it back in 2012 with about 315000 KM on it. Being my first car I bought the TDI based upon fuel mileage, I wasn’t expecting it to be fast whatsoever. Even being a TDI it was plagued with poor mileage (800KM/Tank) It wasn’t in the best of shape but this was my first car so I didn’t expect much. Having very limited knowledge on mechanics this vehicle was my gateway to a very addictive and expensive hobby… being a car enthusist. For what seemed like forever I was battling a chronic limp mode issue that at the time I had no idea the cause. It seemed like every week something else had to be replaced. Until, one day in the spring of 2014 it all stopped.

I was finally about to afford some performance parts for my diesel, and with much research I decided for my power goals all I needed was a set of nozzles and a tune… boy was I ever wrong. In the summer of 2014 I got my hands on a GT2256V turbo and some R520s, an 11mm pump along with other supporting mods. I ran the car with this at 26PSI for about 2 seasons, which brings us to now. Never dyno’d but expected power output would have been about 180WHP/300FT-LB TQ.

In the fall of 2016, with just over 400 000KM, I decided to take the plunge and remove the engine from the car and start something fresh.

Build List:

35PSI tune
ALH Block bored to 2.0L
BHW 81MM Pistons
GTB2268 W/ Billet wheel (Xman)
Gibonta 0.360 Nozzles (Darkside) Balanced by Giles
AEM Water/Meth
4 BAR MAP (Mark Malone)
FMIC w/ 2.5 inch Piping
Molnar H Beam Rods (Frank06)
Moly Coated Rod Bearings (frank06)
DLC Coated Rings (Frank06)
ARP Rod & Head Studs
BHW Exhaust Manifold
BHW Oil Squirters
OMI 2.75 Inch
11MM Injection Pump
PD Lift Pump
PD150 Intake

Parts in waiting:

Head Port and Polish (Frank06)
SB Stage 3 Endurance Clutch
BRM Oil Pump Chain & Tensioner
Timing Belt & Waterpump Kit (Idparts)

The engine is currently on the stand with a fresh bore and awaiting the final rebuild. I will update as I continue with the build.

October 2015

Setup for the 2016 season

Little roller shot in 2015

3 hours start to finish and its out!

Beginning of the teardown

Now time for some goodies

Last edited:

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Good luck for your build.

I think that Gibonta 0.320 Nozzles works better than those 0.360.

purediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta big build ALH, NMS B7 15' Passat EA288
Heck yes! Almost my build right here. Just a 2260 and r520's for me. Definitely like to see the dyno chart! How soon till it's running?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Cool build. :cool:

Where did you get the rings?I couldn't find any, :(

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
Good luck for your build.
I think that Gibonta 0.320 Nozzles works better than those 0.360.

I have future plans to put a 12mm head on this injection pump so thats why I went for the bigger ones! Im sure if I was going to keep the 11mm the .320s would be better.

Heck yes! Almost my build right here. Just a 2260 and r520's for me. Definitely like to see the dyno chart! How soon till it's running?
The plan is for it to be up and running by the end of april!

Cool build. :cool:
Where did you get the rings?I couldn't find any, :(

You can get these rings from TDIclub user: Frank06

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
what inducer size of that compressor wheel ?
oem 44.5mm inducer and 60mm exducer good for 280 hp on ve engine 300 pd.

still with stock turbine wheel have good look at imp vs emp , if emp is 1 bar over boost youre loosing airflow, I do max 0,5 bar over boost.

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Stock turbine? Really?

Do you have some power goal?

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Rings and bearings

Is there a benefit to getting those rings and coated bearings?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Sweet jesus, you valley boys build some serious cars! Custom cam on order too? I'd shoot Dave a message if you're ever down in the city, they've been building some monsters lately and there's a few good dynos down there.

Best of luck with the build!

Last edited:

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
what inducer size of that compressor wheel ?
oem 44.5mm inducer and 60mm exducer good for 280 hp on ve engine 300 pd.
still with stock turbine wheel have good look at imp vs emp , if emp is 1 bar over boost youre loosing airflow, I do max 0,5 bar over boost.
Unfortunatly I am unsure of the inducer size, I would have to ask Xman about that one. I plan on hooking up an EMP guage once everything is together to make sure theyre within limits.
Stock turbine? Really?
Do you have some power goal?
Yes the turbine is still stock. I was looking into the GTB2566 off darkside but it was just too much cash to drop at the time.
Is there a benefit to getting those rings and coated bearings?
They are dubbed as lasting much longer, and have less fricton as non coated. For the small price difference I just decided to try them out. In the long run they will probably be worth while, especially the abuse this thing is going to end up getting this season.
Sweet jesus, you valley boys build some serious cars! Custom cam on order too? I'd shoot Dave a message if you're ever down in the city, they've been building some monsters lately and there's a few good dynos down there.

Best of luck with the build!
Thanks Owain! I know there have been a few TDI/TD builds originating from here, Im hoping mine is going to be as successful as those were proven to be.

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
Main Bearings partly installed, soon to be ready for the crank.

Crank set in place with new OEM bearings, and some Liquid Moly engine assembly grease.

81.00MM BHW Piston mated to my Molnar H beam from Frank06, with Goetez Diamond Coated BHW rings.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
you can measure the comp inducer size easly , a large inducer with stock turbine wheel aspect surge

the emp at oem 2260vk at 2,5 bar are 1+ over boost so youre turbine wheel is the limited factor here.

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
How shall DLC coated rings wear in properly if they have a coating which prevents wear?

I dont think thats a to smart idea....

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
These are rings stoked by Frank06 and are made by Goetze in Germany. I am hoping that a repitable company such as them have had rigorious testing completed before they started selling these! I will have a follow up once the car is finished later on in the spring.

How shall DLC coated rings wear in properly if they have a coating which prevents wear?

I dont think thats a to smart idea....

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
After a few weeks of working on the project on and off, Ive finally got everything that I need to get this finished, and finally bolted up. Just waiting for a BRM oil pump tensioner to finish up the bottom end. I am hoping to have this all bolted up withing the next week and begin prep for the paint.

-Rods mated to the BHW 81.00mm Pistons
-Pistons all installed and bolted up
-BRM Oil pump Sprocket
-BRM Oil pump chain
-BRM Oil pump tensioner
-Rear main seal installed

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
Well, it is now the beginning of June and I am starting to eat away the summer months. The long block is all finished and the engine should be going in soon.*

-Darkside 0.360 nozzles installed and balanced by Giles

-ARP Headstuds

-Darkside MLS 2.0 BHW Head Gasket for 1.9 VE block

-IDparts timing belt & Water pump kit

-BHW Exhuast Manifold to GTB2268VK

-PD150 Intake Manifold

-Frank06 P&P head with dual valve springs.

-Everything painted up

Will be uploading some photos of the finished block later on today.

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Darkside .360 they are from Gibonta .360 with dlc needle
What pump use

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
Darkside .360 they are from Gibonta .360 with dlc needle
What pump use
Yes as previously mentioned on the first introduction post to the thread I have them listed as from Gibonta. The pump for now is just an 11MM off an automatic. Will be upgrading to a 12MM in the future.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
If you need a 12mm head im have a few of them
They are all oem bosch no china

Katahdin

TDI
2003 Wagon ALH
Have there been any updates son this build? I just read through this thread and i'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what this makes for power!

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
Little Update since it has been close to 5 months.

Longblock almost complete

Putting cam back into my Frank06 Port & Polished head with Dual Valve springs to help this thing spin reliably to 6K

The middle of June I put the engine in over the span of couple days. It fired up like dream I was shocked... I was expecting to have to sit and prime the IP for days on end.

After the initial start up, I spent the rest of my time rigging up the FMIC, possibly the most time consuming part of the entire process.

After everything was set and leak tested I began the break-in procedure, using Joe Gibbs BR oil suggested by Frank. Considering a majority of my parts for this build came from Frank, I figured it would be worth my time to do a correct break in as suggested. 500 Kms on that oil and then went in the 505 Spec Volkswagen oil ill be using the rest of its life.

Early on this thing was plagued by very laggy response, I would be lucky to get the car to spool to 10 PSI by 2200RPM. This was unacceptable considering this Gen 3 GTB turbo should spool much better regardless of the size. After many set screw and actuators adjustments I knew that it was NOT the turbo that was giving me this problem. After much contact with my tuner I decided I was going to try and do something about this myself. As this was a 99.5 ECU I could not flash it over the OBD... so getting tunes back an forth to my tinder was a total hassle. I decided to buy a GQ-4x4 chip programmer and give it a try. I managed to access the N75 map and change the duty cycle for the lower RPMs to get this thing a little more lively and had succeeded.

By this time it was almost the end of the nice weather season and didn't manage to get a dyno run in yet because I wanted to ensure the tune was flawless. As of right now its mapped for 35PSI. and fuel cut is set for close to 6K. This turbo Flows a ton of air and with the addition to huge nozzles, 11mm IP, and the P&P it pulls like an absolute rocket to 6000 (once the LSD hooks up and it finally gets traction)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My plans over the winter include getting MUCH bigger brakes... this thing (with an LSD) is crazy fast... and I do not trust the stock brakes anymore. Looking at an R32 front rotor setup with 17Z callipers and Porsche 996 Calibers on the back with 280mm rotors. Will also be
getting a Frank06 Stage II cam for next season as well.

Last edited:

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Very impressive build, this is what I want to do.

Where did you get the exhaust manifold for the turbo?

With my set up I feel like the N75 needs a little help with lower RPM's, it feels like it takes too long for the power to come in when full boost is applied.

Nice job!

trecool14

TDI
ALH TDI 99.5 Golf
The exhaust manifold is off a BHW 2.0 TDI engine (Passat) found it used for somewhere in the area of 70$. I ended up playing with N75 map a little bit below 2500RPM and it really made the car come around. I would suggest a EMP gauge if you are planning to do the same as we cant request too much boost down low on these big turbo setups. Thanks!

Very impressive build, this is what I want to do.
Where did you get the exhaust manifold for the turbo?
With my set up I feel like the N75 needs a little help with lower RPM's, it feels like it takes too long for the power to come in when full boost is applied.
Nice job!