New Upgraded Battery Cables

Road Reptile

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (GLS), Reflex Silver
I'm trying to determine which set I'll need to order. I recently replaced the battery mounted fuse box due to some melting in the S180 cooling fan fuse slot and on the fuse box housing where the alternator cable touches it. After a test drive to make sure everything worked, I noticed some melting of the new fuse box near where the alternator cable touches it. Also, the alternator cable is very hot to the touch.

So, depending on which set I order, will I simply need to install the new alternator cable over the old from the fuse box to the alternator, or will I need to replace the entire alternator cable harness altogether?

Thanks in advance!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Just ordered a set for my 2004 today.

The website mentions that he is using a more flexible type of stranded cable now, to alleviate the stiffness. I'll let you all know how it goes when they come in.
It's been 2 months since you posted you had received the cables, so are they installed yet? Are they more flexible/less stiff?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I'm trying to determine which set I'll need to order. I recently replaced the battery mounted fuse box due to some melting in the S180 cooling fan fuse slot and on the fuse box housing where the alternator cable touches it. After a test drive to make sure everything worked, I noticed some melting of the new fuse box near where the alternator cable touches it. Also, the alternator cable is very hot to the touch.

So, depending on which set I order, will I simply need to install the new alternator cable over the old from the fuse box to the alternator, or will I need to replace the entire alternator cable harness altogether?

Thanks in advance!
You could leave the stock alternator cable in place if you would like, but whatever.

Do keep in mind your alternator becomes unfused with this setup, just something to be aware of that when wrenching.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You could leave the stock alternator cable in place if you would like, but whatever.

Do keep in mind your alternator becomes unfused with this setup, just something to be aware of that when wrenching.
Doesn't that only apply to the Basic and Standard sets?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Doesn't that only apply to the Basic and Standard sets?
I was t aware that there were multiple options until your post.
My bad, when I got mine there were no options yet.

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Just ordered the full set. Lots of corrosion on the negative terminal, and having starting issues (fast battery drain). I know the cable needs to be replaced anyway, hopefully that is it.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
Cables were installed today.

Nope, still stiff as ever -- The negative terminal was a #%@# and I had to use a mallet to tap it onto the terminal at the sharp angle because of the cable stiffness.

If it was worse before, I would NOT want to experience that.

Cables made a HUGE difference however! I'd almost consider this a must-have if one were planning on keeping their MK4 around a long time, or has big power-drain accessories.

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
My kit came with a large fuse that is bolted to the side of the battery box, and protects the alternator cable.

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
Installed my cables last weekend. I didn't think they were too stiff. I also got the large fuse added to mine. The only complaint I have is that the cables are a good 3 maybe 4 inches too long. Both positive and negative were too long and made it more of a pain in the ars to install

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well mine are in! I went with the ones that had the 150 fuse that goes between the alternator and the positive terminal. It all looks very high quality. I am really happy with the beefed up wire that goes from the + to the fuse block

It was a bit cumbersome getting them installed due to the thickness of the cables. I had to do a little bending of the ground cable as it looped around to the battery but it fit fine. The wire from the alternator to the battery was about 3 inches too long but I just created a loop and zip tied it.

It would awesome if he used a positive battery terminal that had a post on the top to allow for additional power wires for accessories.

It seems to crank over a little faster but I will see how it does when winter hits. That was the main reason I did this was for faster cranking in the winter.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I changed injectors today and that required 15 seconds of straight cranking before it caught. Wow! It turns over much faster.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
Old thread but relevant to my current situation. Three options being offered:
  1. Base for $120
  2. Standard (OEM style Alt wiring to fusebox) for $130
  3. H/O - include 150am MaxiFuse for $145

Shipping is $16.00, so still seems fair but not nearly the bargain that I was hoping for from the way the OP started out this thread. I'm on the fence deciding what I should buy...

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I have not bought any, but the larger cables, with sealed ends (heat shrink from the lug out over the insulation), should be worth the money. That unsealed joint is where most VW cables start to fail. Corrosion gets in and then the conductivity drops.

I know I will buy them (or some built identically) when the time comes.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed a set a few months back and I've been very happy with the results. Gary did a good job building the cables. Be prepared to wait a couple of weeks as he builds each set to order based upon your specification.

2001 Golf TDI with the inline fuse option. Engine seems to turn over more rapidly with the new cables. Overall have to fit the cables and it takes time, but is worth the time and effort.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just went to the site and the purchase buttons for the MK4 sets are gone. You can still get the alternator and starter cables individually, though.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
Send him a message and tell him what you want. Gary@innovativewiring.com. I saw the same yesterday when I went to his site to try and include a link to the set. I bought the MK4 H/O set that includes a 150am MaxiFuse for $145 + $16 shipping. It was worth every penny of the $161 total I spent.

Disclaimer: I don't know Gary or have any stake in his success, but he built me a quality set so I am advocating that you talk to the guy and see what he can build for you.

I'm pretty certain that people expect he can just take an order and ship next day like the eBay merchants that buy from Chine do. Not the case here, but worth the money and the ~ 3 weeks from order until they shipped.

Just my $0.02. YMMV...

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the shipping a flat rate or based on distance? If the latter, where is he located?

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
He's located in California, and he used a priority mail flat rate box.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Well, I'm gonna replace these cables. I saw this thread a while back but never bought new cables. Now I think it's time I just pulled the trigger on this and did it.

Does anyone know what the cable length is on a North American (Brazil built) 2001 Golf MKIV TDI?
Gary asks for the length required on his web site. The choices are 19" and 24".

Also...I just noticed on his main page that he no longer ships internationally. :( I live in Canada so that sucks. I've left him a message to see if he'd still ship here.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Also...I just noticed on his main page that he no longer ships internationally. :( I live in Canada so that sucks. I've left him a message to see if he'd still ship here.
Canadian tire has pre-made battery to starter cables hanging on the wall near the batteries in most stores if that is the cable you are looking for? Regardless you should really measure the one on your car to be sure.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I prefer my cables to have lugs on both ends, and use a military style battery clamp, so the lead portion is easily replaced. When used with high quality crimped, soldered, and sealed cable ends such as Innovative Wiring makes, they will pretty much last 40 years or more.

They do have one more bolted joint, but it is easily cleaned and I always use some sort of special purpose battery protective spray or thick silicone grease to keep the corrosion down.

I noticed my wife's new Toyota Sienna has that style (though lighter in weight) connections for the battery.

Innovative Wiring has indicated they would make a set of cables for me with the military style terminal clamp, but I have not placed the order.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I prefer my cables to have lugs on both ends, and use a military style battery clamp, so the lead portion is easily replaced. When used with high quality crimped, soldered, and sealed cable ends such as Innovative Wiring makes, they will pretty much last 40 years or more.

They do have one more bolted joint, but it is easily cleaned and I always use some sort of special purpose battery protective spray or thick silicone grease to keep the corrosion down.

I noticed my wife's new Toyota Sienna has that style (though lighter in weight) connections for the battery.

Innovative Wiring has indicated they would make a set of cables for me with the military style terminal clamp, but I have not placed the order.

Are you looking at getting the military grade zinc clamps?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I don't know what they are made of. They do seem to be harder than normal lead. But even if they do deform over time, they are easily and cheaply replaced.

Do you have a link for the zinc ones? I just buy mine off of Amazon, typically.

mongoose711

TDI
03 Wolfsburg ALH swapped
Well, I'm gonna replace these cables. I saw this thread a while back but never bought new cables. Now I think it's time I just pulled the trigger on this and did it.

Does anyone know what the cable length is on a North American (Brazil built) 2001 Golf MKIV TDI?
Gary asks for the length required on his web site. The choices are 19" and 24".

In for an answer on the 19 vs 24 and if he'll ship to Canada as well.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
He hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I found that I have extended family living in the States that I can have him ship it to, and then they can ship it to me.
Although if he tells me that I can order direct from him, I'll be doing that instead.

So now I just need to get around to removing the battery and tray so I can measure the existing cable.

I didn't get to it last night as my drivers seat decided to start sliding around on the way home. The locking mechanism that holds the seat in place stopped working. (super annoying)
But I found that this is not an uncommon problem, and that it's due to the grease on the locking pin getting old and causing the pin to stick in the open position.
I sprayed some PB Blaster on it, let it sit, and banged it around until it popped loose. Seems to be working fine now.

I'm going to be reupholstering the front seats in the next two weeks, which requires their removal from the car. So I'll give them both a good clean and lube then.

But ya, I can't wait to get those cables replaced. A real PITA as it is now. :)

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
So I ordered the cables. Gary doesn't ship out of the US, so I'm having them sent to my wife's parents in Yuma. They head back to Canada in the spring and will bring the cables with them.

$215 after shipping and conversion from USD to CND. I'll have to pay tax on that too once they declare it when crossing the border. Expensive, but worth it.
If you live in Canada and want to get a set of these you should buy soon. The US dollar is just going up and up.

My starter cable length seemed to be just under 19" so I ordered that length. (19" and 24" are the two choices on the web site.)
It's easy to measure it. You don't need to remove more than the battery cover. The starter cable runs from the positive terminal down to the starter. It's all easily accessible. I used a flexible sewing tape that my wife had to measure it. Easy Peezy.

It'll be great to get that replaced, and hopefully see the last of these odd electrical issues. I'm still kicking myself for not just doing this a few years back. Oh well.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Most RV shops can make you custom battery cables, if you're looking to avoid shipping.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk