Is this worth it for a wrecked 02 ?????

1977busman

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 1977 vw bus and a 1982 vw diesel caddy
I am looking at a wrecked 02 manual jetta, with 135,000 miles. The damage is all in the front end. My concern is that it looks like the guy took some parts off but im not sure what. But he only wants $3200, and it is only a few hundred miles away. Here is a link, it has a link with like 60 pics. Tell me what you think. Oh yeah I would have to pay about $400 to get it here.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
I have some minor front end damage to my Jetta and it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $8000 to fix it. 3200+400 for a wrecked Jetta TDI with 132,000 miles seems a little pricey. That might be a good parts car, but I would stay away from it otherwise. Especially since you dont know what he has taken off. There are some good deals out there on used TDIs, but I don't think that is one of them.

BTW, you didnt post a link.

1977busman

Veteran Member
TDI
whoops here it is.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=235928

I wasnt totally sure, What would be a price that would make this a good buy? Right now I dont have th money to even buy a good used jetta, $5500 just isnt an option right now. This would sorta be my first car, For when I turn 16. Technically it would be my 6th but oh well. I just dont want a lot of money tied up in a high mileage car. Plus my dad has been fixing wrecks for as long as I can Remember. But I wasnt sure if this was a good fixer upper. My problem is that wrecked tdi jettas arnt near ohio very often.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
an guess my old car was a steal insurance had 7000 body damage was sold at an auction for like 800 i think!

1977busman

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I could buy one for that.

That would be the best thing ever if I found one under a $1000.

Bump

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
1977busman said:
I am looking at a wrecked 02 manual jetta, with 135,000 miles. The damage is all in the front end. My concern is that it looks like the guy took some parts off but im not sure what. But he only wants $3200, and it is only a few hundred miles away. Here is a link, it has a link with like 60 pics. Tell me what you think. Oh yeah I would have to pay about $400 to get it here.
I'm currently driving a 2001 TDI (5spd, 160k miles) purchased from an insurance salvage yard. Here is my post showing the state of damage and costs to repair:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=207595

I paid around $4000 and spent $3000 in parts/materials (all dealer parts, all my own labor, friend did paint labor for free). Despite the appearance of my car in the yard, it did not need to be pulled straight, just the end of the frame rail replaced.

That car will need most of the front end parts I bought, plus fenders, both frame rails, inner fender panel, radiator, AC condenser and whatever miscellaneous stuff got bent/broken on the left side. The car will also surely have to spend time on a frame machine being straightened which will likely necessitate pulling the engine/trans. Unfortunately, the pictures don't show the angles needed to assess just how bent the front end really is.

Bottom line - that's an expensive repair job even if you do all the mechanical and paint labor yourself and use junkyard sheet metal. $3200 is double what a similarly damaged TDI goes for in the insurance salvage yards.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
can't agree more with racertodd... you want a salvage titled car? Go ask an insurance agent where the salvage goes online in your area... you can bid. And you won't pay $3200. Let this one go...