$60K for a Civic

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
A Civic Type R that is. $25k market adjustment. :p

Yes, you can be the first on your block to own a fwd only STI copycat for the price of a Corvette Stingray. Ain't she a beut?

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can't wait to get my IS38 installed on my GTI so I can destroy the first one of these I see.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes. That thing is hideous. Looks like they threw every exaggerated design element they could think of at it.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yikes. That thing is hideous. Looks like they threw every exaggerated design element they could think of at it.
Performance-wise and without the markup alone that cost more than my GTI (I paid $22.6k for an S w/ performance and lighting packages last summer), the Type R is not a terrible ride.

But yes, it is trying WAY too hard in the design category, and replacing those 20" tires every 10k miles would suck. And really, at nearly $35k msrp, they should have gone awd. This is a rich kid or Honda fanboi only car until the adjusted market phase goes away. Even then, I think I'd still spend the extra $5k for a Golf R.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Gawd that thing is fugly. Much fuglier than the "Bold" New Camry which is pretty fugly in it's own right. I think someome in Toyota's design department has been moonlighting.

Worth $60K? Not a chance.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This seems to be the current Japanese trend. (See: new Prius, and it's not the only one.)

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I suppose some people are into looking over-the-top. To me, it is not a "clean" design.

I think the new Civic hatch looks ok in black or dark colours that disguise some of its design elements a bit - e.g. the huge fake grill panels in the rear bumper cover, and the odd kink in the beltline.

The Civic sedan looks simply too long.

As for that price tag ... No. Just ... no.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This seems to be the current Japanese trend. (See: new Prius, and it's not the only one.)
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I suppose some people are into looking over-the-top. To me, it is not a "clean" design.
I think the new Civic hatch looks ok in black or dark colours that disguise some of its design elements a bit - e.g. the huge fake grill panels in the rear bumper cover, and the odd kink in the beltline.
The Civic sedan looks simply too long.
As for that price tag ... No. Just ... no.
I've never liked Prius styling, but those butterfly tail lights on the latest model just make me angry! :mad::p

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm having a hard time convincing the wife that $40K is reasonable to spend on a new diesel Canyon. I wouldn't even want to start the conversation on this ugly little thing.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Internet advertising 101:

Do something stupid that will make people talk about and share whatever you're trying to sell. Also known as "how to make a story go viral."

Without the $60,000 price, this would probably be a non-story and nobody would take notice. Putting an absurd price on this thing makes a story.

It's like when a hamburger joint offers a $1000 hamburger with gold flakes or some nonsense on it, and it makes the news. You'd have never heard of them without it. Free advertising, and an extra bonus if some fool actually buys the $1000 hamburger!

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
FCA has released their allocation plan for the 800+ hp Dodge Demon, which appears much different from what Honda has done with the Civic R. They are only going to allocate the first production run to dealers who agree to sell at or below MSRP. Dealers who will not agree to that have to wait until production complete for the others and then take the higher serial number cars produced in the non-priority production phase. Good on them:

http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18375&mid

Last edited: