Minor Improvement - AHU MKII GTI gets BV43, Ralle FMIC etc...

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
Minor Improvement - AHU MKII GTI gets BV43, Rallye FMIC etc...

Here is the original engine swap thread for reference:

So I tossed an AHU in my 91 GTI this weekend...

The stock turbo was on it's way out (major shaft play) and I was about to pull the trigger on a K03-Hybrid when a very enthusiastic VW follower hooked me up with this:

It's a genuine VW Rallye Golf intercooler, which is far too cool to put a K03-Hybrid in front of, so the BV43 and AFN exhaust manifold seemed just right.

The stock intake manifold wasn't going to do - so I found this PD unit to install - then cleaned it:

The rallye intercooler requires a narrower radiator - so I sourced a Corrado VR6 unit and some Passat 16V fans to run instead of the MK2 fan. I have since gone with a different radiator - but here is the test fit:

Here is the test fit of a golf radiator end tank - I like the passenger side inlet and outlet more than the unreliable VR driver side radiator flange.

And here is the test-fit of the Rallye intercooler. We used my friend's MKII for the mock-up and development of all the parts since my MKII is my daily driver and I can't afford any downtime:

It soon became time to figure out the boost-routing - this seemed very complicated at first - but we found a solution:

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...

made a TIP for the Corrado VR6 airbox using an 07 jetta inlet pipe and some 304 stainless:

And here is test-fitting the TIP we built. 3" down to 1.75" to fit the turbo inlet:

Here it is welded up:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
We also built a 304SS 2.5" downpipe:

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are some pics of Seth welding the boost plumbing:

Pressure testing:

And here is all of it:

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Did a bit of finish work:

Powdercoated cage, new belt & plastic bits, cleaned up a bit:

Bead blasted:

A bit of JBweld as filler:

Some paint:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Last weekend we were finally ready to install the intercooler, modded rad-support, and a fender with no dents... Ben came over and helped with the install. Thanks! :D

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
And during the week that followed - we got the rest of the parts ready:

Airbox inlet tubes - left to right:
Stock MKII Golf/Jetta - G60 corrado - VR6 Corrado

I'm sure it's easy to tell which I used: :D

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
And finally Friday arrived, and the parts were ready.

When I arrived home from work - my friends Ben and Jason helped me tear down the GTI and install all the good stuff:

Stripped down:

MK4 N75:

PD mani:

Exhaust:

Last edited:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Boost plumbing installed:

And some goodies from TDTuning:

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
And here it is installed. We finished installing the parts at 1:00 AM and fired it up. It runs quite nicely now. We ran a few logs to send to mike and called it a night. Yesterday Jason helped me fab a bracket for the ProVent CCV filter it's going to get (currently just piped to atmosphere). The Titan 764 nozzles should arrive tomorrow too. I hope to install and report back as soon as I'm off work. Still a bit to do - but not nearly as much as what's been done. :)

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Looks great! Im getting a similar(but not nearly as cool) set up for my Mk3, the AFN manifold and Gt1749VA are in the mail :) Are you going to put a EGT prob in? I was thinking of mounting mine on the EGR block off plate, waiting to get the manifold in hand to see if ill need a longer probe.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks great! Im getting a similar(but not nearly as cool) set up for my Mk3, the AFN manifold and Gt1749VA are in the mail :) Are you going to put a EGT prob in? I was thinking of mounting mine on the EGR block off plate, waiting to get the manifold in hand to see if ill need a longer probe.

Sounds like fun I have a Westach EGT probe in the BV43's existing 1/4 NPT hole and a VDO vision gauge installed.

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Ahhh, yes. I see it. Very nice

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Looks nice David!

Wish I had one of those valve covers. Maybe my engine wouldn't be so grimy all the time.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks nice David!

Wish I had one of those valve covers. Maybe my engine wouldn't be so grimy all the time.
A bit of welding and some paint. :) I added the J-B weld for a smooth finish. I can't stand the stock CCV setup.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Looks great!

Do you have an 11mm IP to go with it too? You'll be looking at 180whp or so with proper fueling. I have my BV43 pushing 25psi at less than 2000rpm, with no spike. I really like this turbo.

Jon

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks great!

Do you have an 11mm IP to go with it too? You'll be looking at 180whp or so with proper fueling. I have my BV43 pushing 25psi at less than 2000rpm, with no spike. I really like this turbo.

Jon
It's got the stock 10mm pump still - may need to readdress fuel at some point down the road, I hear the Titan's don't flow huge numbers... I will know more once I install then, and they are scheduled to arrive today. :D

On another note - it was 37° outside when I drove to work and the AIT was reading 37° as well. Accelerating onto the main road near my house it got up to 39° and then dropped all the way to 30° and stayed in the 30°-33° range all the way to work except for one spirited blast that got it up to 40°. I sure do like this intercooler! :D

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
A bit of welding and some paint. :) I added the J-B weld for a smooth finish. I can't stand the stock CCV setup.
NICE work really! Looks so good those pipes.
About CCV mod, is there any negative effect for removing the stock CCV setup? excessive cranckcase pressure?

Very good work and pictures, thanks.

Good luck!:)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
NICE work really! Looks so good those pipes.
About CCV mod, is there any negative effect for removing the stock CCV setup? excessive cranckcase pressure?
Very good work and pictures, thanks.
Good luck!:)

I don't think there will be any real pressure change - the CCV filter I will be installing is bigger than necessary - so it shouldn't cause any real issues. I is also going to be piped into the intake as usual - just with less oil vapor to ruin my boost hoses. I'm also looking forward to not needing that crappy plactic CCV oil return pipe anymore - no more oil spots on the driveway! :)

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking good! I am sure the intercooler helps but having an adequately sized turbo makes the biggest difference!
Very true - and it's only making 20 psi right now - a very light task for the BV43

is it me or does the 2.5bar mapsensor needs urgent changing? :D
It does - I'm having some PCB's made to mount a 3 bar MAP in the ECU. I don't like anything currently available, and don't want to run wires for a MK4 MAP. Once it's done it will be time to make real use of the turbo and Rallye FMIC! :)

:D

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the nozzles that "shipped" Friday didn't show today, so no more news there... Hoping they arrive tomorrow.

Olit

Veteran Member
TDI
VW SHARAN TDI (ASZ-engine)
Hi!

VERY cool build! Highly impressive! :)

But are you not getting the injectors balanced after the nozzle-upgrade?

Olit

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi!

VERY cool build! Highly impressive! :)

But are you not getting the injectors balanced after the nozzle-upgrade?

Olit
I am, that's why I don't have them yet. :) I would rather wait and have them right than just slap nozzles on and have problems later.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think there will be any real pressure change - the CCV filter I will be installing is bigger than necessary - so it shouldn't cause any real issues. I is also going to be piped into the intake as usual - just with less oil vapor to ruin my boost hoses. I'm also looking forward to not needing that crappy plactic CCV oil return pipe anymore - no more oil spots on the driveway! :)

Installed the valvecover and CCV filter tonight. It's starting to look more complete.

Still no injectors... Maybe tomorrow - if I'm lucky.