fan is running after turning the car off...

alragrossman

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
I just purchased a 2010 Jetta TDI and my average commute is 300mi this is the first time in 3500 mi that i've parked in my garage and noticed the fan is running... i guess it's cooling off the engine? please excuse my ignorance, i'm a newbie. i've made the same 160mi trip home several times since i bought the car last month but this is the first time the fan has kicked on after turning off the car. I let the fan run for 5min before starting it up again and shutting it off. The fan came back on for a while more and eventually kicked off. Anything to worry about??

thanks!

2010 Jetta TDI 3,200mi

StewartinND

TDI
'17 328d Sportswagon
Unless it was absolutely roasting outside odds there was a dpf regen in progress. The fans kick in to keep the engine bay from overheating. Watch for the idle being near 1k rpm before you shut down as thats the sure sign a regen is going on.

alragrossman

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
should it be doing a dpf regeneration this often? (every 3k miles) where should my car be idling under normal circumstances while in park?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Oh, it does it a lot more often then every 3k miles... just most of the time you're driving so you aren't likely to notice.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Normal. My car did this the first day I owned it. You may notice a burnt plastic sort of smell, too, from the soot getting burned off.

As you drive your car more, you will probably start to notice when it is doing the DPF regeneration as you drive. When you're idling at a stop light, you may feel a little extra vibration from the engine, almost as though it were mis-firing. And the RPM's will be at about 1000 instead of the usual idle of 900.

alragrossman

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
wow, you guys are quick!!! thanks again. I'm wondering where TDI has been my whole life! I'm never going back

GeorgeF

TDI
2011 VW Golf 4Dr 6Spd
Thanks for asking (and answering) this question - I am also a newbie TDI owner and was curious about the same thing.

cocoa

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon 6 sp manual
My 2011 TDI Sportwagon [5 weeks "old" with 873 miles on the odometer] did something similar last night.

Does a dpf regen make the same sound as the engine does when running?

I'm used to loud engine fans that come on when I park a gas powered vehicle but those engine fans never made the same sound as the engine did when running.

Last night I had turned the key to the off position and removed it, yet the engine continued to make the same sound it had made before I turned the key off. I could still feel the vibration in the pedal. It sounded like the engine was still running.

When I got out of the car and listened to the hood, it still made the same tic-tic-tic sound that it makes when the engine is on and idling. Exhaust was blowing from the tailpipe. This continued for 5-10 minutes and then stopped. I suppose the tailpipe emission would make sense if it was cleaning the particulate filter.

Is this typical with a TDI?

I've seen old diesels continue to run on after the key was turned off and we'd have to shift it into a high gear and pop the clutch to shut it off. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with new car.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Last night I had turned the key to the off position and removed it, yet the engine continued to make the same sound it had made before I turned the key off. I could still feel the vibration in the pedal. It sounded like the engine was still running.

When I got out of the car and listened to the hood, it still made the same tic-tic-tic sound that it makes when the engine is on and idling. Exhaust was blowing from the tailpipe. This continued for 5-10 minutes and then stopped. I suppose the tailpipe emission would make sense if it was cleaning the particulate filter.

If the cooling fans were running at full speed, it's probably a regen. However if your engine was running there is something wrong. When you shut off the ignition and pull the key - the engine should stop. During a DPF regeneration the DPF gets very hot (about 1200 degrees F) and the fans racing is normal. It prevents the under hood temps from melting the plastic bits. If your engine was really still running - that's what warranties are for.

Have Fun!

Don

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
My 2011 TDI Sportwagon [5 weeks "old" with 873 miles on the odometer] did something similar last night.

Does a dpf regen make the same sound as the engine does when running?

I'm used to loud engine fans that come on when I park a gas powered vehicle but those engine fans never made the same sound as the engine did when running.

I've seen old diesels continue to run on after the key was turned off and we'd have to shift it into a high gear and pop the clutch to shut it off. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with new car.
What 6spd do you have? If it was manual, I suppose you could of carefully (so you didnt hit anything since you were parked) put it in gear and let up some on the clutch....that would be pretty definitive as to if the engine was still running or not. I dont imagine that would work the same with DSG since most autos you cant take out of park without the key being on nevermind the brake pedal. Then again even at that, I think most people could flick the key without starting the engine, or at least hear the starter and know they just started the engine if they did go to far.

Moltenburn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 B7 Passat 2.0 TDI
this is standard. As mentioned keep an eye on the idle when stopped, if at 1K it is usually in regen mode and not causing any harm to the vehicle.

2001f4s

TDI
JSW
Hey this happened to me today complete with burning plastic smell. I was afraid the car was overheating, although when I went back out an hour later all was good. The car has 60 miles on it and is a day old, so a little concerned. Glad I found you guys

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
There have been many of these threads since the CR 2.0L TDI (2009). It would be helpful if VW would have a green "DPF REGEN" indication light on the instrument panel illuminate when a regen was in progress. It would clear up some confusion.

I'm surprised the VW sales people are not educating the buyer about this.

DAV0320

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm surprised the buyers are not educating the VW sales people about this.
FTFY.

I agree about the dummy light, it would be nice to know when this is going on. Every once in a while I notice a faint burning smell in the cabin. Call me crazy but I like the way it smells. lol

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
FTFY.
I agree about the dummy light, it would be nice to know when this is going on. Every once in a while I notice a faint burning smell in the cabin. Call me crazy but I like the way it smells. lol
OK, I'll bite...

You're crazy :D

(Welcome to Club Crazy. Your membership package should arrive shortly.)

nedro018

TDI
2009 tdi dsg sportwagon
1) using VCDS can one pull up a "history" of regen's?
2) using VCDS can one FORCE a regen
3) what the codings for above 2?

im asking because my commute is only 10 mi 1-way each day. car get's up to operating temperature OK but i dont think im driving over 40 mph long enough for a regen to occur on its own.

if i can pull up a "history" from the computer, i can tell if there's a problem.

thanks!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm surprised the VW sales people are not educating the buyer about this.
Your kidding, right?

If I need info on a car, I've found the sales folks are generally the worst people to ask. Usually, if they don't know the answer to something, they will make up an answer.

Maybe a Regen status light of some kind. It could be a blue light that says REGEN STATUS that changes to green when a Regen is in progress.

I think that most folks saw a Regen light come on, they would think there is something wrong with the car.

Last edited:

cocoa

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon 6 sp manual
Thank you JSWTDI09, C17chief and Moltenburn for your helpful replies.

I have been googling on "dpf regen" to learn more about the process.

True to form, my vehicles never act up when DH is home so that I can have him look at the issue.

pleopard, I would *normally* agree that it should be easy to tell when the engine is running. I didn't feel comfortable popping the hood to check while standing alone in a dimly lit garage late at night. I have had diesel motors in the past that wouldn't shut off even when in 1st or 2nd gear with the clutch released.
One of the ranch trucks had to be put in the highest gear and the clutch released while standing on the brake. Otherwise it just kept running.

The prior diesels of my acquaintance have been 1960's & 1980's era Volvo and Peugeot sedans, Volvopenta inboard marine engines and farm equipement. None of these had particulate matter filters. They were also very loud engines that could be heard from some distance. There was no mistaking whether one of these were running.

My TDI Sportwagon is very quiet. It is quieter than gas powered Honda that was traded in when I purchased the TDI.

There will likely be more threads on this topic until the phrase "DPF Regen" becomes a household term/common knowledge amongst the general public.

I read the TDI FAQs and the newbie pages on this site and did many searches on TDIClub looking for engine afterrun, engine not shutting off, loud engine fan etc trying to find some information that might relate to what I experienced. How would someone unfamiliar with "DPF Regan" know to search on this term?

So far this has been the first helpful thread I've found.
Thanks all for the help. :)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Diesel Particulate Filter
the car has a very expensive and complicated emissions control system rumor has the exhaust costs 8000 to replace!

TDiSkater

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG Salsa Red

im asking because my commute is only 10 mi 1-way each day. car get's up to operating temperature OK but i dont think im driving over 40 mph long enough for a regen to occur on its own.

if i can pull up a "history" from the computer, i can tell if there's a problem.

thanks!
You can force regen by driving 45 mph for 15 min (IIRC). Check manual for procedure. It's the step you use if dpf light comes on indicating a high soot load.

Gurus would tell you to get her on the open road once a week for at least 30 min. Your car will love it. Truth be told, so will you.

Last edited:

jpsum

Vendor
TDI

thanks!

How long have you had the car? I wouldn't worry too much about it unless your regen light is on. If it does come on, I would keep the car running and let it finish the regen cycle. If you've never seen the light come on, that means your 10 mile trip is long enough for it to regen.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Yeah, the first time my fan stayed on I thought it was a STOCK Turbo timer, but unfortunately after a couple long drives I noticed it was definitely not a Turbo timer since it often was not on and my engine is definitely off during. Since I brought that up... how useful is a Turbo timer for our cars? Just as useful as on a Gasser?