Beetle OEM single tone horn replacement?

Bearman

TDI
2014 VW Beetle Convertible 2.0L TDi
My 2014 Beetle Convertible TDI has an OEM single hi-tone horn that is weak sounding to me. Has anyone had any luck with replacing the horn with dual tone VW horns, or adding a second low tone for a healthier sound? Or perhaps third party horns that might hook up to the OEM harness? Any help would be appreciated...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The upper model Beetle has the dual tone horn. I tried just adding the other horn to my wife's Beetle it sounds very...odd. I think the single horn is a different tone than either horn on a dual tone setup.

Any case you could order both high and low tone horns, mount then next to each other, make a little jumper from the existing harness to power the second horn. But as much as they cost I would probably just install Hella red heads (horns).

Jason

nickfancher1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI - 39k - DSG
I'm not sure how the plugs work, but if you could use a horn off of an older Beetle that would work great. My '04 has a really nice and loud horn. My aunt has a '13 Beetle and the horn is really quiet, people don't even react to it.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I'm not sure how the plugs work, but if you could use a horn off of an older Beetle that would work great. My '04 has a really nice and loud horn. My aunt has a '13 Beetle and the horn is really quiet, people don't even react to it.
The 2004 uses the same dual tone horns that they put on the upper model 2013 Beetle. They save a few cents by using the single horn on the lesser models.

Jason