fuel filter drain?

tony d

followed the procedure outlined in the FAQ and when I opened the drain valve only heard air being sucked in,not a drop of liquid came out.Whats up with this?System was cool,not hot.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
So you had all the lines disconnected from the fuel filter and nothing came out? The fuel filter inhaled? Does not make much sense. With the tee removed the top of the filter is open to atmosphere and when you open the valve on the bottom fuel/water has to come out.

Oh, if you have followed the FAQ, you are close enough to doing a fuel filter change, so remove the filter and repeat the water draining. If nothing comes out, the filter is either empty or you are in a different universe.

tony d

Chris,I did not remove the hoses,I thought FAQ says it's not neccessary when only draining,not replacing.Wil now go remove the hoses,unlike on my powerstroke,where I just flip a lever and drain away.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I just reread the FAQ and it is not very specific but if you looked in your Bentley(if you have one) you would see that the first step is "Remove control valve retaining clip", followed by "pull control valve up with the fuel lines connected".

You have to remember this is a closed loop system and opening one point there is no way for fuel to leave the system.

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tank and I have never found any water in my fuel.