New here 01M 02 Jetta TDI

ukiltmybrutha

TDI
None yet
Hi,

I just purchased this Jetta from someone I know very well for $500. I have wanted it for a few years now and as I was getting closer to pulling the plug on a 2nd generation Prius over the last few months he suddenly asked me if I wanted to buy it.

I have read the horror stories over about the 01M.

I usually drive stick as well.

The vehicle has some rust but not enough rot where I need to worry about anything any time soon. He provided me maintenance records for work he performed and gave me extra parts. I don't think he changed the trans fluid though or the t-belt and does not know when the last time it was changed but seems to have purchased it somewhere between 100k and present. I know that needs to be done pronto.

The vehicle has 168k. I am commuting about 200 miles a day 3 days a week and around 40 another 3 days of the week.

Although I think a Prius would have probably been a more reliable commuter with good gas mileage, I couldn't beat the price IMO.

The 01M transmission is playing on my mind though. I wouldn't mind swapping to manual but I have been working on cars for so long but have such little time to spare that I wouldn't be able to do such a swap.

I am in Virginia and I know that in some areas you can get a great deal on auto to manual trans swaps but I don't think I am such an area.

The fuel economy penalty for having an automatic appears to be very steep as well.

Automatic seems to be running fine so far and I am super impressed with the fuel economy so far.

I keep reading that the 01M is terrible but after driving this car I really like it and not so sure I want to get a Prius. I like the Diesel sound and the price is pretty good at the moment.

Thoughts on what to do here? Keep it? Junk it?

Can't believe I am finally here with a TDI VW!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Meister Kraft

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Keep it, enjoy the morning coffee. Maybe consider a center console upgrade so the cup holder is in a better spot. invest in a “scan gauge” so you can clear codes to get home or get out of a limp mode due to a pending code. Cheap investment with the amount of traveling you are doing.

ukiltmybrutha

TDI
None yet
Keep it, enjoy the morning coffee. Maybe consider a center console upgrade so the cup holder is in a better spot. invest in a “scan gauge” so you can clear codes to get home or get out of a limp mode due to a pending code. Cheap investment with the amount of traveling you are doing.
Yeah, no kidding! My ELM327 and the Torque or Carista app has saved my behind when my R53 6 speed mini cooper decides to act up and go into limp home mode....for reasons other than the transmission, but that's another issue.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Welcome!
Check out club member CoolAirVW page http://kansascitytdi.com/o1m-faq/
He's our resident auto High Wizard, and appears to know mini coopers as well lol
Best of luck with your auto! All I know of them is heat = bad. So heavy stop-and-go
can overheat them = bad. Mostly highway might be why that thing is still kicking (?)
Sounds like you got a killer deal to me. Just learn all you can about it.
See here for recommended mechanics in your area:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Start looking for a manual swap. The ability to shop and wait for a deal is a valuable thing.
cheers,
Douglas

ukiltmybrutha

TDI
None yet
Thanks so much guys. I had no idea there were closeby shops as I am used to getting the short end of the stick. What is a good deal on a trans swap and which trans gives better mpg?

Again,

So happy to be here.

I guess I will start a drain/fill regiment for trans fluid soon.

Thanks.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
168k and you suspect the trans has never been serviced? I would start off by draining just a little but of fluid. If its dark and smells burnt just stop and leave it alone. If the fluid is that bad and you drain and refill your transmission is going to start slipping like crazy, forcing you to replace it or junk the car. Dont ask me how i know this lol

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Louis710, I know your experience was the opposite but I think the trans fluid and
filter should be changed, maybe 2 or even 3 times if it's the original stuff.

But that can wait until the TB, WP, etc, gets done as well as the filters and other fluids.

OP, an old TDI is not a car that saves you money in the short run.
It can save you money over the long term, though.

The reason you got it for $500 is that there is at least $1500 in deferred
maintenance you now need to do to make it a daily driven, reliable car.

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
I totally believe the trans fluid should be changed im not saying it shouldn't. All i said if that if it smells burnt AF then leave it alone. If it smells burnt it most likely means the clutch packs in the transmission are worn to $#!T.
The first mk4 i ever purchased 03 gti 1.8t with an automatic one of the first things i did when i got it was change the transmission fluid. Ill never forget that awful burnt smell that came from the fluid when i drained it. Refilled it with fresh fluid and the thing started slipping like crazy. I did a 5 speed swap and ended up totaling the car a few months later.

So, OP, if your fluid smells burnt just leave it alone and drive it till wont drive anymore, unless you wana do the 5speed swap sooner than you really need to.

Also, heres a video that can better explain what im trying to tell you. You can skip to 4:54 where he starts to get into what im trying to explain

https://youtu.be/o690DovjDAc

ukiltmybrutha

TDI
None yet
Thanks so much for all of this.

My sense of smell isn't so great. By the time I discover it smells burnt I would have probably lost alot of fluid. Do I just toss it back in the trans?

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Of course not. Simply carefully bottle it up and send it to Louie to keep him happy.

Look, cut through the old wife's tales and buy a filter kit and drop the pan and renew the fluid.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I use it to keep your mother, wife, and daughter happy my dude just wanna make sure they get the best care only you would approve of
Sad.

Can't take a little disagreement and ribbing without making crude remarks about Prairie's female relatives.

Last edited:

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
Sad that you can't come on here and try to help someone out with some friendly advice without some old timmer trying to make some smart remark?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Nah. I don't see a problem with a little ribbing.

And lotsa people disagree with the idea that changing old ATF is harmful.

But if you can't respond without taking cheap shots at his female relatives say nothing. If you think his comments violated the rules report him.