Question on Power Steering Fluid

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
I've used "PENTOSIN CHF 11S FLUID - 1L" fluid for years in my '03 Jetta TDI, but I just finished my last can. Is it okay to mix in Prestone Power Steering Fluid (specific for European cars) to top it off? It's what AdvanceAuto carries, so I wouldn't have to order the Pentosin online again....

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Order more Pentosin.

The only condition I would use prestone in is if you've just rebuilt the whole system and there's no chance of mixing.

FWIW the Pentosin is one of the best quality fluids available. The CarQuest in Springfield has it on the shelf, I'd think you could get it locally out in Manassas as well.

-J

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Why are you going thru it? Something leaking?
Not recommending it, but I've had a mix of OEM and some cheap universal type parts store fluid in the 2001 since (at the time didn't know any better) putting the salvage car on the road in about 2004. Never had an issue or a leak in over ten years.

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
No leak or loss, I just routinely suck out old fluid and replace with new fluid whenever I do an oil change, based on advice from TDI guru. :cool:

I'll check locally some more to see if I can find the Pentosin.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
wow, I put on over 600,000km with the same ps fluid. I think you could skip to every other oil change....:D

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
It never gave me any issues so I never bothered (my turbo failed and took out my engine at 600,460). On my second Jetta, my rack started leaking so I threw some Lucas PS fluid in to seal the leak. I still used Pentosin CHF 11S though. By the way, the Lucas fluid worked wonders for my leak.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I know the 11S replacement is 202 and I see that everywhere. You can still find 11S on Amazon and I bought a 5L jug for $60, which I see has increased to $75. Still, that's $15/liter.