OBD Code P1403 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation

ryleeji

TDI
97 passat sedan
hi. i just bought a 97 passat tdi sedan in washington with 163,000 from a dealer and had a good first 90 miles of driving. after driving a bit this morning, the check engine light came on. i'm new to newer vw's and tdi's, so i was concerned. Shucks Auto Parts store diagnosed with an ODB2 and got a code P1403.

i drove back to portland and just looked on http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/17811/P1403/005123 and got this information:
17811/P1403/005123 - EGR System: Regulation Deviation

Possible Causes

• Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) faulty
Possible Solutions

• Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
    • Perform Output Test
again - i'm new to tdi's and want to find some more information about this issue, level of severity, and good next steps.

i'm in portland oregon and would appreciate any leads on good tdi mechanics to check out the car, since i wasn't able to get much history.

cheers,
Ry

wolfburg

TDI
1997 PASSAT SEDAN
Hi everyone, brand new to the site and TDI (1997 passat TDI sedan 5 speed ) bought it at 61500 and have 65800 miles now. THANKS TO All for the great threads,so much info,a bit overwhelming ,one step at a time.

Hi Ry, I have the same problem as you do.No time to really look into it,maybe this weekend,hope some one will come up with some suggestions

Mario

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
See the word "Search" above?
Click on it.
Type 17811 in the box then click "Go"
Read numerous threads on the subject.

wolfburg

TDI
1997 PASSAT SEDAN
thanks MO,
yeasterday I found vaccum hose at the air filter cover disconnected and put it back on.the cel stil comes on, should it stay off if that was the problem or is it ok to erase it and see if it comes back on?

mario

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
No. Check your intake for clogging. The EGR valve may be defective or the hose to it defective.

ryleeji

TDI
97 passat sedan
Thanks MO. I just read through some of those posts and have some things to check on.

The dealer said they cleaned the intake manifold and the timing belt was replaced. Wonder if that triggered the EGR for some reason. I'll check the vacuum hoses and EGR valve next.

TDIntercool

TDI
2 TDI's 1-wvo, 1-bio
I just finished converting my A3 tdi to WVO and I replaced my airbox with a K&N filter which has no port for the hose from the n18 valve to the air filter housing. I was left with a dangling vacuum line and I started getting 1403 codes. I tried various methods to get the check engine light to stay off but it still needs to be dealt with. So if you get this code I would suggest to look at the vacuum line to the N18 valve and make sure it is attached and not leaking. Cheap and easy check.

6399beetles

TDI
1999 vw beetle 1.9L
I just finished converting my A3 tdi to WVO and I replaced my airbox with a K&N filter which has no port for the hose from the n18 valve to the air filter housing. I was left with a dangling vacuum line and I started getting 1403 codes. I tried various methods to get the check engine light to stay off but it still needs to be dealt with. So if you get this code I would suggest to look at the vacuum line to the N18 valve and make sure it is attached and not leaking. Cheap and easy check.
I check that hose and it connected, and i still get that code. So i'm going check the egr do so test.

77machomopar

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed
i was getting that same code ofr a long time. i ended up taking the line off the egr and zip tying it shut. The light stayed off for thousands of miles now.

6399beetles

TDI
1999 vw beetle 1.9L
i was getting that same code ofr a long time. i ended up taking the line off the egr and zip tying it shut. The light stayed off for thousands of miles now.
The air line too the egr? so you would have no egr then all your exhaust gases build up and go ? EGR stands for ? Exhaust gar recirculation, so what happens to pressure. Well I guess if it worked for Cool. I want my Egr to work, never know I might try it. Thank eric