HPFP Failure. 2014 Passat. No warranty.

Nigel F-H

TDI
2014 Passat tdi
I see a forum to report catastrophic pump failure in models up to 2012.
My 2014 Passat CKRA failed at 60,850 miles, just out of warranty. VWOA finally offered 50% warranty coverage which reduced cost to just under $3000.00
My car was built in August 2013, Why no warranty extension? Same failure mode as 2012 models.
No fuel contamination, only just out from 60,000 mile service at dealer!!!
Is there a forum log for recent model failures?
If this happens to you, PLEASE go to NHTSA safercar.gov website and file a report under Vehicle Owners tab, "Complaints and Defects"... easy and quick to do. If enough complaints are received VWOA will hopefully have to extend warranty on later models.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
My 2014 Passat CKRA failed at 60,850 miles, just out of warranty. VWOA finally offered 50% warranty coverage which reduced cost to just under $3000.00
My car was built in August 2013, Why no warranty extension? Same failure mode as 2012 models.
If this happens to you, PLEASE go to NHTSA safercar.gov website and file a report under Vehicle Owners tab, "Complaints and Defects"... easy and quick to do. If enough complaints are received VWOA will hopefully have to extend warranty on later models.
I could have sworn there was a warranty extension on this.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I could have sworn there was a warranty extension on this.
There is a HPFP warranty extension— but I believe it's on Jettas / Golfs of certain model years, not on any NMS Passats.

[NB: Discursiveness follows]

It can be kinda hard to keep track of all these things, and the warranty extensions are strictly handed out by VIN. On our NMS Passat, I have received extended warranty letters on the turbocharger, AdBlue heater, and heater core, in that order. The only one I have invoked is the heater core, when it started to go cold on the passenger side (which seems to be the common situation). However, some people have been refused warranty coverage on the same repair, same model year ('13 Passats like ours), based strictly on their VIN not being covered.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There will be if enough of them conk out. I believe the current extension only covers 09-13 model year vehicles.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Nigel,

I suspect that Volkswagen wants to replace your entire fuel system, including the pump, injectors, fuel lines, and fuel tank. Many of us are of the opinion that much of this work is excessive and unnecessary. The fuel tank, fuel rail, and lines, for example, can be flushed and returned to service without replacement.

Since this likely won't be covered under warranty, you may want to look at only replacing the pump and having the rest of the system thoroughly flushed. Some debris can end up getting caught in the injectors, so those will need a close inspection, as well.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The warranty extension applied to Jettas and Golfs up to 2012, not the Passat in any model year. The main reason for this is that the Passat benefited from the start, from a few design changes intended to improve HPFP reliability, most importantly running the fuel pump at lower pressure, but also a number of changes to the pump internals.

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
my water pumped failed 200 miles out of warranty - same deal. I was lucky enough that it wasn't as big of a deal as the HPFP, I but I agree, there's no reason that they shouldn't have offered extended coverage of the car ala the 2012's