BAD water leak

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
About a month ago, we developed a water leak which didn't seem too bad at the time. Jan 1, I go to take car to work and before leaving home, I top off antifreeze rez. Come home several hours later and it's down approx 1/2". Decide to leave car in garage and use truck for awhile. Kinda forgot about the car/leak,but last Fri I check it and the rez is EMPTY! Top off again and checked it again yesterday and rez is EMPTY again and motor hasn't been ran since Jan1. It is wet underneath the motor. Spoke w/ a independent shop and he said don't bother to get it fixed cuz you won't get your $$ back. VW won't pay to have fixed and neither will dealer. Dealer has provided us a loaner car until VW gets their act together. Have NO clue where the leak is. Don't know rate of loss. 88k miles. '13 Passat TDI

So my questions: What do you all suggest? Park car outside? Keep topping off/put pan under engine? Engine runs--at least it did when I parked it on the 2nd. Too cold to just add water even tho it's in garage.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
So my questions: What do you all suggest? Park car outside? Keep topping off/put pan under engine? Engine runs--at least it did when I parked it on the 2nd. Too cold to just add water even tho it's in garage.
You have apparently made up your mind not to find the cause of this leak. With that as the assumption, definitely do not keep on adding plain water. If the car isn't being driven, there is no reason to do so.
If this were me, and given the no-fix assumption. I'd leave it right where it sits until buyback (making sure it will start & run), then have it towed to the buyback location, start it and drive it / park it / turn it over*, and it then becomes somebody else's problem.

*Engine can't heat up enough from doing that to cause any damage.

CNYTDi

TDI
2013 Passat TDi SEL
Ricco,

You are correct in not getting it checked out to find source of leak as I will not re-coupe money spent to do so. Not adding water due to temps outside now, just anti-freeze. That being said, should I continue to add anti-freeze even tho it's just going to leak out from "X" location or no? I can get a car dolly to tow car into lot on day of buyback as you made a good point on heating engine up.--Thanks.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I wouldn't continue adding fluid. At this point, it's mostly antifreeze in the system, so you aren't at risk of any water freezing even if it leaks out.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
It is prolly the water pump. If one were to keep the car, I'do the TB at the same time, even though it is well short of recommended 130K.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Just my two cents, but...

How expensive is it for you to look where the fluid might be leaking from?

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Just a PSA: Amazon/Ebay has these inspection waterproof USB cameras that can go practically anywhere (but dont get carried away), have built-in lights and cost may be $20

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Stop leak from Wally world, $2.59

Drive more, worry less!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
No point in essentially pouring antifreeze on the ground. Especially if there are pets around.