So here I sit, next to the highway

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL, 2015 Sportwagen SEL
And it's 14* out. Coming home from work and almost home, when out of nowhere get a flashing glow plug light and an immediate loss of power. Stalled as I got to the side of the road and doesn't start back up. Really fearful of it being the HPFP because that's a bill I can't afford right now. Hoping turbo as it's under the 120k extended warranty.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Turbocharger failure usually does not result in the engine quitting like that. Lots of noise, smoke, loss of power, etc. but the engine typically will still run.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I figure as much too. At the dealer now. Was informed HPFP covered to 120k also. May not end up badly. I can distinctly smell fuel around the car.....not sure if because I tried to start or not. But could definitely smell it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yikes. I'm glad roadside assistance got you to the dealership quickly. Hopefully everything is covered under warranty.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, just got a phone call. Turns out the main feed line had a quick disconnect come apart under the car in front of the fuel tank. That would certainly explain it. Currently chewing on whether or not to replace that line to the tune of about $230.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
"Currently chewing on whether or not to replace that line to the tune of about $230"

Pushing the car everywhere you want to go is going to get old fast, especially when it's 15 degrees out.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, it's plugged back up and the car is running fine. The quick disconnect fitting just disconnected itself. I was quickly able to find two instances of the EXACT same thing happening here in the NMS section using a pretty generic search. Seems they just pop apart on random cars, get plugged back in, and life is suddenly good again.

Spoke with the advisor and we're going to let the car sit out overnight, and they're going to test drive tomorrow morning. As long as it doesn't come apart, I'm going to go with it as is.

Dealership has been great so far too. Very easy to work with short notice.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I'm still trying to process why the main fuel line from the tank would have a "quick disconnect" fitting. I would think a "must be deliberately removed" fitting would be more appropriate, since this one seems to have transformed into a "may spontaneously disconnect" fitting.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^my thoughts, as well. There must be some way to secure that fitting. Absurd design, but it's a mass-produced vehicle, so we shouldn't be surprised.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are "quick connect", and all types of cars have them all over the place for all kinds of things... and they are all too often NOT a "quick disconnect".

Chances are it either was not connected securely at assembly, OR the design of the particular connection is not very durable. I would assume the NMS uses the same types of fuel line connections as other VAG products, but there is always the possibility that they sourced them locally from a different supplier and they are not as good as those used in other models.

If it becomes a widespread pattern failure, I would expect a TSB to pop up about it.

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
They are "quick connect", and all types of cars have them all over the place for all kinds of things... and they are all too often NOT a "quick disconnect".
Chances are it either was not connected securely at assembly, OR the design of the particular connection is not very durable. I would assume the NMS uses the same types of fuel line connections as other VAG products, but there is always the possibility that they sourced them locally from a different supplier and they are not as good as those used in other models.
If it becomes a widespread pattern failure, I would expect a TSB to pop up about it.
I don't know about widespread, but I found these examples after a quick generic search:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=467824

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397401&highlight=fuel+line

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love the way people here tend to jump to the most expensive possible failures when something goes wrong with their car. And we all are critical of dealers for doing same. :D

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the way people here tend to jump to the most expensive possible failures when something goes wrong with their car. And we all are critical of dealers for doing same. :D
I was kind of hoping it was. Both are covered.

Truth be told, now I would REALLY like to find a 2Micron Pure and Contain Flow kit to put on the car now given that the HPFP has been run dry.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
See how many reports of HPFP failures you can find on NMS Passats. Not many.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
having the pump run dry would there be any possibility of damage there?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I have a setup with pure flow and contain flow on my 2009 JSW that is going back to VW Feb 8th.
I am kinda scared to fool with anything before the buy back.
Hate to get a few bucks for the kits and lose $10,000 for the car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm not sure the NMS Passat has the HPFP failure rate that would warrant the very clever 2micron system. I'd also be hesitant to have ANY engine mods on any CRTDI, possibly jeopardizing VWoA buyback/compensation.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I have a setup with pure flow and contain flow on my 2009 JSW that is going back to VW Feb 8th.
You could always remove them before the trip to the dealership. It would be a shame for the folks looking for these kits to miss out on such a fine opportunity.
I am keeping my JSW's, so my kits will not be for sale...

Fastbird

Veteran Member
TDI
If you're interested in selling when the time comes I'd be interested in buying them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would not be installing modified fuel system components unless you plan on keeping your car AS IS. That means not having Volkswagen fix the emissions system issues. Modifying the fuel system might result in warranty denial in the future. Also keep in mind that the HPFP is now covered to 120,000 miles (IIRC) and will be extended out even longer than that if a fix is approved for the gen 2 cars.