New Owner - What do you wish you would have known?

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Mine does pull, ever so slightly to the right, however if I'm on the "left" side of the crown it drives straight. I'll see about getting this checked out.
You might want to rotate the tires first and see if it's still an issue. Mine pulled slightly to the right when new, but after rotating the tires F->R at 10K, that fixed it. It tracked perfect for 10K, and then just last week at 20K I rotated them back and it pulls slightly again. Tire pressure is good, and the wear is very even, but I think there can be subtle differences in the compound or something that causes more or less grip in any given tire.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
Congrats, nice ride. I recommend a scan gauge II to monitor egt, dfp, boost, and water temp. Mine sits discretely on the dash to the far left. You'll eventually want vcds if your existing scanner is not compatible. You can also down load the factory manually for $35 from Erwin.

Sounds like you can handle all your own maintenance, read up and go for it.

Powersmokin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
You might want to rotate the tires first and see if it's still an issue. Mine pulled slightly to the right when new, but after rotating the tires F->R at 10K, that fixed it. It tracked perfect for 10K, and then just last week at 20K I rotated them back and it pulls slightly again. Tire pressure is good, and the wear is very even, but I think there can be subtle differences in the compound or something that causes more or less grip in any given tire.
I will do that when I get around to doing my 40k.

Congrats, nice ride. I recommend a scan gauge II to monitor egt, dfp, boost, and water temp. Mine sits discretely on the dash to the far left. You'll eventually want vcds if your existing scanner is not compatible. You can also down load the factory manually for $35 from Erwin.

Sounds like you can handle all your own maintenance, read up and go for it.
The factory manual is owners manual, right? Not the factory repair manual I assume.
That Scan gauge, does it do the same thing as the polar fis?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The factory manual is owners manual, right? Not the factory repair manual I assume.
No, he is referring to a service manual. For a one time charge (I think around $35) you can download all sections of the manual. If I recall, there's around 10 sections.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
Yes, that might be a solution, but IMHO an alignment check should be done anyway (it is an used car after all). If alignment is ok, and the car still pulls, then the rotation might help (if the tires are causing the pull, there will be pull after the alignment anyway). 60 to 70$ today might give you more miles from your tires, delaying a heavy new tires investment. Also: are the tires original? Check thread depth, so you can track tire wear.

Powersmokin

TDI
No, he is referring to a service manual. For a one time charge (I think around $35) you can download all sections of the manual. If I recall, there's around 10 sections.
Wow, that's an incredible price! Most factory service manuals are hundred of dollars.

Also: are the tires original? Check thread depth, so you can track tire wear.
Not sure. They're those Continental Conti-craps (OE iirc) but they do have a fairly good amount of tread left. I'm thinking two more years (with a set of winters).

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
I wish I had known that the value of my new TDI is now in the toilet.

tc1uscg

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD TO VW
RNS 510 system a POS

I wish I had known the RNS510 was going to be crap. I would have saved my 1800 bucks and went to the local radio shop and got a better head unit w/decent nav and un-crippled DVD player for half the price. I can't upgrade/update mine with anything that fixes it's issues so to me worthless. Gotten so use to the sound, unless your cranking it, it doesn't even sound good anymore. Heck, today, son drove to Chicago. We have taken that route many times before in the VW. But today, the GPS decided to take him THROUGH the city instead around (90 vs 294) even though it's always taken 294 in the past. So, like any 18 year old, he listened to the NAV system and ended up in bumper to bumper traffic DOWNTOWN , and a 2 hour delay. We don't need to discuss it's performance or lack there of, it's just a crap radio/nav system. :cool:

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the Conti's on these cars are pretty good, its the hankook or whatever the name is that some 2012's came with that everyone hates

Powersmokin

TDI
the Conti's on these cars are pretty good, its the hankook or whatever the name is that some 2012's came with that everyone hates
Maybe its the car itself, but they seem VERY noisy.
I swear that the 325/65/18 Goodyear DuraTrac all terrains on my pickup are quieter.
What do people run for quiet tires?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
More recent VWs in general have more road noise than earlier cars. And I found the OE Contis on my Golf pretty noisy. Michelins are quieter.

smoav8r

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Man (sold), 2013 Passat TDI 6M
I wish I had known that there would be comparison in quality between the Passat and the A4 Jetta I sold.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
my Passat has lots of road noise with 18's on it and 100% zero road noise with my 16" general altimax artic snow tires. honestly zip zero none with the snow tires- rough old pavement is silent as fresh pavement with those soft 16" tires --Go figure :confused:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
my Passat has lots of road noise with 18's on it and 100% zero road noise with my 16" general altimax artic snow tires. honestly zip zero none with the snow tires- rough old pavement is silent as fresh pavement with those soft 16" tires --Go figure :confused:
I'll agree with the 18's not just noisy but a harsh ride. Today is the day I'm replacing them with 16" Pirelli P7's. My service advisor at the dealer even commented when they installed my General Altimax winter tires on 16" steelies that the car had a more comfortable and quieter ride after she drove my car. ( her comment was " and these are winter tires I don't get it" I said I thought 18" rims looked cool but the ride quality just sucks.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
No surprise that MOST 16" wheels/tires would have better RIDE qualities than 18"wheels/tires...until you turn a corner.

My (2014) OEM Contis are at 50K miles, plenty of tread left, and while not the quietest, certainly much better than OEM Hankook (my 2012).Yes, Michelins might be quieter, but also at a 30-40% cost difference. Seriously, I have no complaints with the Contis.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
very true 16's are gummy compared to the knife like handling of the 18's

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
Would 17's be a good medium? I'm picking up a new to me 13 Passat TDI and need new wheels and tires. My priority is nice highway driving.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
No surprise that MOST 16" wheels/tires would have better RIDE qualities than 18"wheels/tires...until you turn a corner.
Please note that larger rims will decrease acceleration, decrease fuel mileage, harshen your ride, greatly increase tire cost, be more susceptible to road damage... and won't improve your handling anywhere near as much as you think it will. It's up to you, but be aware you're harming the functionality of your car for "looks." You know the Vortex Bling factor. I got rid of the factory 18's and replaced them with 16's, upgraded my shocks, struts and springs, added an upgraded rear sway bar. and when I turn a corner it's much better than with the factory 18's and a stock suspension. It also has a more comfortable ride on the highway and beat up country roads.

Last edited:

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My previous car was a BRZ. This Passsat with the original wheels and tires rides superb with no noise at all compared to that. :)