P2201

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG w/ Sunroof
Had this code pop up several weeks ago, then disappear after being cleared 2 or 3 times, but now it's back.

So what's the deal?

A little background: The car was in a front-end collision, and when we got it back a few buttons on the steering wheel weren't working. So we took it back for them to fix, and the solution involved taking it to a VW dealer and getting "the electrical system reset," or something similar to that. Likely involving the ECU, I would imagine. Engine light came on within a day or so of the "reflash," or whatever they did.

Many many thanks for any input on this. We'll have the car at a dealer on Friday to activate our gifts from VW, so I figure if I'm not sure what the problem is by that point I'll have to ask them for a diagnosis. And while I'm not completely on the "stealership" bandwagon, it's not a stretch to think they may end up finding a ~$500 problem. So I'd like to have some clues and thoughts on the issue so I can keep them in line, if need be. Thanks again!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Just put that code in the search box on this site and you will get lots of information.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, according to my search it seems related to the NOx sensor, which is apparently a pretty expensive sensor to replace (though I can't find one anywhere online, so I can't even verify that). And it also doesn't seem to be covered under the federal emissions warranty, though I will definitely bring it up if they say it has to be replaced.

Anyone know what's causing these NOx sensor problems? Bad sensors, or something else going bad that's fouling them up?

For those that removed and cleaned it, what was the process like and has the code popped up again?

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, engine light hasn't come back since clearing it last, but it most likely will. I guess eventually I'll get tired of clearing it and be forced to do something, but it's not affecting mileage or performance so it's hard to get too worked up over a sensor.

For anyone who went and had the reflash prescribed in the TSB, did that solve your problem?

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
@justinw303 If the code returns, you diagnose it to the NOx sensor, and under 80,000 miles. Don't clear the code. You might want to check with your dealer. It may be covered under the emissions warranty.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
After reading about the federal emissions warranty, along with stories from others on here, I'm pretty certain it's not covered.

And of course the light has returned.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Well, according to my search it seems related to the NOx sensor, which is apparently a pretty expensive sensor to replace (though I can't find one anywhere online, so I can't even verify that).
They are available online, but they don't call them a NOx sensor. I believe this is the part;
03L-907-807-AD CONTROLUNI
If I remember correctly the VW list price is about $530, 1stvwparts.com had it listed for about $380. Read the "NOx sensor going bad" thread, all the details are in there.

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
@justinw303 the only reason why I suggest it is because I had mine replaced at 48k miles under the emissions warranty. Another person wrote to VW and they paid for the repair. Look at the thread on NOx sensor. It's a $530 part (retail price) that is supposed to help regulate NOx emissions and once you replace it, you will still be emitting over 40 x of EPA limits. As far as we know, VW may be doing it in light of Dieselgate. There is a third person in the forums appealing to VW today.

Justinw303

Veteran Member
TDI
Took the car to get checked over by a dealership, they concluded that the NOx sensor and another oxygen sensor needed to be replaced. They attempted to get it covered under an emissions warranty and were denied. Quoted over $1k to replace both. No thanks. Guess I'll just have a few non-working sensors until either VW owns up to these bad sensors, or I decide I'm tired of clearing codes and try to change the parts out myself

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
@justinw303 the only reason why I suggest it is because I had mine replaced at 48k miles under the emissions warranty. Another person wrote to VW and they paid for the repair. Look at the thread on NOx sensor. It's a $530 part (retail price) that is supposed to help regulate NOx emissions and once you replace it, you will still be emitting over 40 x of EPA limits. As far as we know, VW may be doing it in light of Dieselgate. There is a third person in the forums appealing to VW today.
Over 40x? Ah, no . . . *UP TO* 40x is the claim, and remember that 1.0000000000001X also fits that claim . . . and we don't need any more folks blowing this more out of proportion than it already is . . .

- Tim