reverse mirror issue

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
I purchased a CPO TDI SEL Passat and I did not get a manual in the glove box.

I had mistakenly set the mirrors for memory seat setting and now the mirror will not go down in reverse.

What are the steps needed to program the lowered position of the passenger mirror? I only know how to set the "normal" position.

Helpful info - I have the seats with the three positions and the set button. Searches of the forum only brings up setting the seats and mirrors with the key fob. Also someone mentioned that it's page 149 of the manual (which I don't have).

Can anyone scan, take a photo or write down the sequence to set the down position of the passenger mirror?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Are you sure you don't have the manual? It's in a separate compartment, above the glove box. It is quite hard to spot.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
make sure the mirror control is in the ''r'' position, it won't go down unless left in the ''r'' position.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
As mentioned before I have no manual. Nor valet keys etc.

They used to work before I reset them. I know about the R setting.

Again, as the first post said I need the procedure for the down setting. Not the regular position.

Does no one have a copy of the manual? Ugh.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
It took me all of 1 second to tell this isn't what I asked for. I already know it needs to be in R to work.

I need the procedure to set the down position. I want to set the position. I want to program it. I WANT TO PROGRAM IT NOT WATCH A SALESPERSON SHOW ME IT NEEDS TO BE SET TO R TO OPERATE.

Example - to set the "up" position you adjust the mirror to the correct position then push SET then the seat position number button. You get a chime when programed.

Please no more it needs to be in R hints. It's page 149 of the 2013 manual (according to one post on this site). If you read my first post I said it was working until I set a new position in memory.

Again, ugh

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you not see the portion where you have to select it the conveyance menu under mirrors...
Sigh.

AGAIN. I know how the mirrors work. It's already selected in the options. It worked for a year before I reprogrammed it by mistake. As I already posted. TWICE.

Please stop posting to this thread you're not helping unless you want to crack open the manual and give me the programming sequence to set the down mirror position.

Which is what I've been asking for. I didn't ask for what position the mirror switch needs to be in or making sure the option is selected.

That was the first thing I checked before posting here.

DEAD-BROKE

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat TDI 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo-diesel
1. Choose the remote control key that will be used with the settings to be made.
2. Unlock the vehicle with the remote control key.
3. Apply the electronic parking brake.
4. Switch on the ignition (don't start engine).
5. Shift the transmission into neutral.
6. Activate the function "Mirror down" in the "Settings - Convenience" menu on the dash display.
7. Select reverse gear.
8. Adjust the passenger side mirror for a clear view of the curb, for example.
9. The adjusted mirror position is automatically stored and assigned to the vehicle key used to unlock the vehicle. The preselected position will be recalled when the key assigned to that mirror adjustment is used again.

To recall this passenger side mirror position:
1. Turn the adjusting knob for the side mirrors to the R position.
2. Shift the transmission into reverse gear with the ignition switched on.
3. The mirror moves back to the regular position when the vehicle moves forward faster than about 10 mph
your welcome,

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
1. Choose the remote control key that will be used with the settings to be made. Make sure any other keys are away from the vehicle.
2. Unlock the vehicle with the remote control key.
3. Apply the electronic parking brake. (not electronic...)
4. Switch on the ignition (don't start engine).
5. Shift the transmission into neutral.
6. Activate the function "Mirror down" in the "Settings - Convenience" menu on the dash display.
7. Select reverse gear.
8. Adjust the passenger side mirror for a clear view of the curb, for example.
9. The adjusted mirror position is automatically stored and assigned to the vehicle key used to unlock the vehicle. The preselected position will be recalled when the key assigned to that mirror adjustment is used again.

To recall this passenger side mirror position:
1. Turn the adjusting knob for the side mirrors to the R position.
2. Shift the transmission into reverse gear with the ignition switched on.
3. The mirror moves back to the regular position when the vehicle moves forward faster than about 10 mph
your welcome,
...minor corrections...

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
In my search for an answer I ran across these exact instructions on a site for another VW model (an SUV starting with the letter T). One with an electronic brake and memory functions built into the keys.

The NMS Passat has the memory setting built into the power seats (3 positions) that are programmed via the "set" button on the side of the seat. Which makes sense since we have three memory positions and only 2 keys...Using the instructions above - how would you program the third position (3 on the seat buttons)?

Unless these instructions are incomplete, such as push "set" to program to set position (followed by a chime). Using the instructions above - how does the car know when I'm done programming it? The instructions end with me moving the mirror to the right position and then...nothing?:confused: And still in reverse with the engine off...

It didn't work. Just tried it. I even had to go in and uncheck the menu first before starting the instructions.

Last edited:

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
With help from another vw forum and some playing around I figured it out. The instructions given here are partially correct.

There is a step missing. I can see why other postings end up with people going to the dealer to fix this.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
...so why didn't YOU post the correct procedure?
Well, first I need to post obvious stuff, like checking to make sure the mirror is set to R.

Then maybe tomorrow I'll post a video showing you how to put the mirror in the R position (after telling you that you could have googled it for 7 seconds). :p

Then maybe I'll....

All kidding aside - the previous instructions are not complete. In fact, they have some extra steps that can be skipped.

1. Turn the ignition to On, not running. My parking brake was already set.
2. Put gear into Reverse.
3. Adjust passenger side mirror to position.
4. Hit the SET button on the seat. Not sure if needed to do but I pushed this like a madman hoping I'd hear some kind of chime, LOL.
5. Click mirror position switch to the center position (not R or L). Mirror will return to the regular position. Click back to R - mirror should go down to the reverse position. I was in reverse the whole time. When in the center position the mirror would go back to normal (as it should) and in R it would lower. I moved it back and forth to check this.

That's it. No unlocking with the key fob, no setting the menu (it was already set for me), no putting into neutral, no setting the automatic parking brake (those instructions were from the CC owners forum).

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How did you do all this from outside the car? Huh???

OH...you forgot to tell us to open the door (which door??? which hand???), get into the driver's seat...:D

Glad you got it figured out. Be prepared, though. I had to have the memory seat module replaced, and the replacement has its own quirks, doesn't always remember which setting, etc.

Arggh...VAG electronics. They don't smell like Lucas, but must share some of the heritage!

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
How did you do all this from outside the car? Huh???

OH...you forgot to tell us to open the door (which door??? which hand???), get into the driver's seat...:D

Glad you got it figured out. Be prepared, though. I had to have the memory seat module replaced, and the replacement has its own quirks, doesn't always remember which setting, etc.

Arggh...VAG electronics. They don't smell like Lucas, but must share some of the heritage!
Lol good point!

A lot of the instructions state that you have to do this on a per key basis but I think that only applies to other VW's. Our car has the memory in the seats not stored in the keys.

I found out at some other sites that VW just prints the same instructions to save money even if it doesn't apply to your car (like the electronic parking brake part).

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Lol good point!

A lot of the instructions state that you have to do this on a per key basis but I think that only applies to other VW's. Our car has the memory in the seats not stored in the keys.

I found out at some other sites that VW just prints the same instructions to save money even if it doesn't apply to your car (like the electronic parking brake part).

No it has both. My mirrors and the way the doors unlock are different after my sister unlocks and drives the car. The seat button is nice because I can push it to at least get it reset before I get in.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)

Yes, it's stored in the seat. But it still recognizes the individual keys and has separate memories for each. If my daughter borrows my key and drives my car, the seat does not return to my stored position. Good thing I can still press the seat memory button and recall my settings. :p

muscle_cars_only

TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI , 13 Passat TDI SE , 13 Passat TDI SEL
Put car in reverse
put mirror knob in R
Adjust mirror where you want it
Put knob in center and watch mirror go to " driving position "
Put car in park
Knob in R
Move selector to reverse
Watch mirror go to previously adjusted reverse position

ainikolaev

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
muscle_cars_only, thank you for the step-by-step it worked perfectly for me.
Anything similar for the left mirror? I tried doing the same by putting the knob into L and it didn't seem to do the trick.