UNOFFICIAL Adblue Heater Element Failure Thread

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The check engine light came on in mine a few days ago. The my hex-net didn't show anything so I cleared the code. The light was back on this morning and it shows P202B. The car has 53k miles on it. The buyback can't happen soon enough. My wife went to look at a used A6 yesterday at the local Audi dealership and told the salesman that she's waiting for the buyback, but wants an A6 or Q7. He wouldn't let her look at either one or test drive them because he said that she was wasting his time and that the car wouldn't be there when she was ready to buy. I know where we won't be purchasing a car.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
What's the difference in 561-198-970-A and 7L6-198-970-A? One is for the Touareg and the other for a Passat, but they look identical and the price of the Touareg heater is $258 shipped on eBay.

2pt. slo

TDI
12' TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Just wanted to share my experience.

2014 TDI Touraeg - 43,xxx miles - No Extended Warranty

ErrorCode P205C00 - Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit Low - Passive/Sporadic

Diagnosed with my Schwaben VAG scanner
Cleared and came back a few times

Contacted VWOA Customer care directly and not the dealership. Was very polite and explained the issue, that I'm a loyal customer owning 8 vw's now over the years currently with 2 TDI's. Asked if it was covered under the Federal Emissions warranty or drivetrain warranty. They confirmed that the heating element was not but they would see how they could help me. Opened a case and scheduled for me to drop the car off same day for dealer diagnosis (Yesterday). VWOA called this morning saying the dealership confirmed it was the ad blue heater and that they were replacing it under good will. Dealership called this afternoon saying repairs are complete at no cost to me and ready to pick up.

Hope you all experience the same as I when working with VWOA, I'm sure in light of everything that is happening it will better enable us to get VWOA to fix this issue for us.

Thanks,

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Just wanted to share my experience.

2014 TDI Touraeg - 43,xxx miles - No Extended Warranty

ErrorCode P205C00 - Reductant Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit Low - Passive/Sporadic

Diagnosed with my Schwaben VAG scanner
Cleared and came back a few times

Contacted VWOA Customer care directly and not the dealership. Was very polite and explained the issue, that I'm a loyal customer owning 8 vw's now over the years currently with 2 TDI's. Asked if it was covered under the Federal Emissions warranty or drivetrain warranty. They confirmed that the heating element was not but they would see how they could help me. Opened a case and scheduled for me to drop the car off same day for dealer diagnosis (Yesterday). VWOA called this morning saying the dealership confirmed it was the ad blue heater and that they were replacing it under good will. Dealership called this afternoon saying repairs are complete at no cost to me and ready to pick up.

Hope you all experience the same as I when working with VWOA, I'm sure in light of everything that is happening it will better enable us to get VWOA to fix this issue for us.

Thanks,
I called VW and they refused to offer any assistance with the repair. They told me that I cold use my Goodwill Package cards to help with the repair cost. Most of those were spent on tires and an alignment because the car pulls to the right all of the time. I've had it aligned 5+ times and it always pulls.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Year: 2012
Mileage: 35000
Just got my p205B error last week. Cleared it, and came right back.
I'm not planning on fixing this myself. With all going on with TDI's. I am going to wait. For the official fix.
Being in CA, I'm looking forward to it being mandatory, for them to fix ANYTHING associated with smog equipment. it wont pass smog with a CEL, and I am under 36k miles.
The adblue heater is parts they do have for the repair!
My car probably is an example, of using sub standard parts, for cost justification.
Sub standard parts almost always fail early. Not even 36k miles!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Year: 2012
Mileage: 35000
Just got my p205B error last week. Cleared it, and came right back.
I'm not planning on fixing this myself. With all going on with TDI's. I am going to wait. For the official fix.
Being in CA, I'm looking forward to it being mandatory, for them to fix ANYTHING associated with smog equipment. it wont pass smog with a CEL, and I am under 36k miles.
The adblue heater is parts they do have for the repair!
My car probably is an example, of using sub standard parts, for cost justification.
Sub standard parts almost always fail early. Not even 36k miles!
Is it covered under the emissions warranty in CA? I thought that some states required it.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't called the dealer yet. I'm just not looking forward to a possible run around on coverage. I figured, when the settlement gets finalized, there SHOULDN'T be any question of coverage. Hopefully.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
My heater failed at 3.75 years, 38 k miles. My usual dealer said it wasnt covered under the emissions warranty, a second said it would be. Went with the second, and it went fine.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
That's good to know.
I'll call in a few weeks when I'm back in town. A quick answer over the phone would be nice.

tincherb

TDI
2006 TDI Jetta - 2013 Passat SEL
2013 with 36076 miles. Just one month over the time based warranty. VWofA stated that because the car was used they would not warranty. I didn't realize the warranty coverage was based on owner. Finally was able to get them to own up that it wasn't. Customer service is a joke! Being that I was only 76 miles out of coverage I assumed I'd get some help but I guess VW is hurting these days and will be scraping pennies to stay afloat. Dealerships all say contact VWofA. Rule of life #1 - Life ain't fair!. Time to call Malone.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
tincherb: Splitting hairs, but, time or mileage based over warranty? I've found the time based limit seems more concrete than mileage based...

Do you have an ongoing relationship with your dealership? It does make a difference.

Either way, sorry about your ordeal. VWoA should be taking care of all these AdBlue failures.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
I had two failures in less than a month. Both my 2012 and 2013 Passat TDI. VW fixed the first one (2013) but I had to pay the $1347 on the 2012. Pretty piss poor design when both fail in less than a month. I have written VW lets see what they do. The 2012 has 52,000 miles where the 2013 has 28,000. Both were bought and serviced at the same VW dealership.

ELVATO

TDI
13 Passat SE
My CEL just came on two days ago with P205C. I'm currently at 63k miles on a 2013.

Have to take it to dealer to see if the extended warranty will cover it.

shelbydog25

TDI
2012 DSG Passat SE
had mine repaired on my 2012 with 120,000.. guess I should be happy it went that long. ($1,200) fix, no help from VW, although local dealer felt bad giving us a freeby 130,000 maintenance.

work I got from service manager, expect a recall coming on these heaters,
question is, will they reimburse us for our out of pocket expense?:cool:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
work I got from service manager, expect a recall coming on these heaters,
question is, will they reimburse us for our out of pocket expense?:cool:
I had a service manager tell me the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Since I'm in a state with no inspections for diesels, I'm waiting for either the recall or the "fix", since after the fix it will be back under warranty :)

houseofkafka

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Update from Boise:

I took my 2012 Passat in today for the 120,000 mile maintenance and when the dealer (VW of Boise) called the service guy told me, "You have a bad AddBlue heater--I can replace that under warranty because your car is under 120,000 miles."

I took it in with 109,000 on the clock. I am certainly pleased that I didn't pay out of pocket for this last Fall when the very same dealer quoted me $1800 to fix it and said it was out of warranty then (90,000 miles at that time!)

giovane

TDI
13 Passat TDI SEL
Will I be able to get VW to buyback my car with the CEL light on?
I don't want to waste time and money fixing the heater problem, considering also VW will most likely have to replace the whole DEF system anyway, if they want to resell the car.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
So far there's been no information about this. I too am hoping that they just take the car as is, as my Jetta has a CEL, along with some minor body damage and intermittent A/C.

Passatman

TDI
'12 Passat SE, 6M
Update from Boise:
I took my 2012 Passat in today for the 120,000 mile maintenance and when the dealer (VW of Boise) called the service guy told me, "You have a bad AddBlue heater--I can replace that under warranty because your car is under 120,000 miles."
I took it in with 109,000 on the clock. I am certainly pleased that I didn't pay out of pocket for this last Fall when the very same dealer quoted me $1800 to fix it and said it was out of warranty then (90,000 miles at that time!)

So how does that work? Same dealer tells you they will fix under warranty? What changed with VW between your 90k and 109k? I spoke with VW customer service this last spring with 65k on car and they said, sorry not covered.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Well VW told me to pound sand on reimbursing me for any part of the repair on my car. I tried to get them to cover just the part. But no deal. I also sent them a copy of this link. Again no deal. If each of us that have posted in this thread would contact NHTSA and file a formal complaint it should help all of us recoup our out of pocket expenses. Here is the link and it only took 5 minutes! https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Please take the 5 minutes and make it harder for VW!

TDI_Addict57

TDI
VW Passat TDI 2013, 2005
Adblue heater repair kit

What's the difference in 561-198-970-A and 7L6-198-970-A? One is for the Touareg and the other for a Passat, but they look identical and the price of the Touareg heater is $258 shipped on eBay.
Actually ordered the 7L6-198-970a for my Passat. Turns out the wiring is much shorter (knew that already) but also the cylinder with the heater inside is about 40 mm shorter than 561-198-970A in my car.

Still trying to source 561-198-970A in Canada.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Actually ordered the 7L6-198-970a for my Passat. Turns out the wiring is much shorter (knew that already) but also the cylinder with the heater inside is about 40 mm shorter than 561-198-970A in my car.
Still trying to source 561-198-970A in Canada.
The 7L6 model fit mine perfectly. The wiring was long enough too. You just need to route it around the opening for the heater.

BDHPlayer

TDI
3013 Passat
Another victim

Took my 2013 Passat into the dealer for 80000 mile maintenance. They performed an oil change, filter replacements and transmission service.

When I pick up the car the check engine light is on. Sure enough it is for the ad blue system.

Live in Arizona and wonder if the heater ever came on.

Here are my questions:

1) Would any of the maintenance that was done cause damage to the ad blue system.

2) Getting ready to drive from Arizona to Chicago in a week. Any reason would the car shut down and not be able to start or would there be any effect on performance.

Don't like the buyback price but after the trip, the car will be needing new tires. Add the cost of repairing the exhaust system and it might be worth taking VW up on their offer.

With the emmissions problem and this in particular, can we expect that VW will cover repairs in the future.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The adblue heater will be covered by the extended warranty if you get the car fixed. You can drive for a long time with a heater sensor CEL... ours has been on for over a year, since 80,000 miles (at 104,000 now).

-J

BDHPlayer

TDI
3013 Passat
The check engine light went out on it's own. Will see if it stays that way.

Took my 2013 Passat into the dealer for 80000 mile maintenance. They performed an oil change, filter replacements and transmission service.

When I pick up the car the check engine light is on. Sure enough it is for the ad blue system.

Live in Arizona and wonder if the heater ever came on.

Here are my questions:

1) Would any of the maintenance that was done cause damage to the ad blue system.

2) Getting ready to drive from Arizona to Chicago in a week. Any reason would the car shut down and not be able to start or would there be any effect on performance.

Don't like the buyback price but after the trip, the car will be needing new tires. Add the cost of repairing the exhaust system and it might be worth taking VW up on their offer.

With the emmissions problem and this in particular, can we expect that VW will cover repairs in the future.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
So my 2015 with 48K is throwing codes for both the heater and tank level sensor. Service rep in Topeka said both ARE NOT covered under the 8/80K warranty. He also said the only part of the AD Blue system covered under the 8/80K is the injector.

What an absolute crock of ****. I have a car just over a year old that I'm supposed to fork $1,200 over to fix?