Rain sensing wipers in 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium?

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Last weekend I bought my new Passat from Chris Farnham at VW Langhorne, what an awesome buying experience, highly recommended!

Moving up from a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan and few 100 miles later I am VERY happy with my new Passat!

I assume this car has automatic rain sensing wipers as it has the little black box on the windshield just behind the rearview mirror, but I can't figure out how to activate that feature, the manual is quite vague about wiper function.

Am I wrong in my assumption?

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
VagCom will be your friend. See if anyone in your area has one. Dealers? I doubt that they would have a clue.

Owner's Manual? What a joke! Just a legal disclaimer with very little owner information.

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium
Last weekend I bought my new Passat from Chris Farnham at VW Langhorne, what an awesome buying experience, highly recommended!

Moving up from a 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan and few 100 miles later I am VERY happy with my new Passat!

I assume this car has automatic rain sensing wipers as it has the little black box on the windshield just behind the rearview mirror, but I can't figure out how to activate that feature, the manual is quite vague about wiper function.

Am I wrong in my assumption?
Officially UAE, Saudi and NAR Spec NMS passats do not support it... only South Korean spec SEL's made in Chattanooga do...
the dealer said that to me and i thought to myself WHY again do I ever even let them touch my car, went back home and turned it on via my VCDS cable:p
explain to me again how a car with the EXACT same parts has stuff turned off in one country and on in the next?!

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016

mattfrayage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat NMS TDI SEL Premium

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You can check out the VCDS locator link in my signature, or if you're ever in the DC area, stop on by! :)

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome, I'll check the VCDS Locator, thank you! A trip to DC may happen sometime later, early next year, I'll let you know. :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just remember it doesn't always work reliably. Mine is on and is finicky sometimes. Left on a trip one time in the rain and it wouldn't activate. Had to pull over and shutdown/restart several times to get it to activate properly. Had to listen to the wife complain for a while. Worked fine the rest of the trip. For some reason the windows up function always seems to work, but not the wipers.

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
Just remember it doesn't always work reliably. Mine is on and is finicky sometimes. Left on a trip one time in the rain and it wouldn't activate. Had to pull over and shutdown/restart several times to get it to activate properly. Had to listen to the wife complain for a while. Worked fine the rest of the trip. For some reason the windows up function always seems to work, but not the wipers.
This is the reason I'm sure. There would be too many complaints.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Yeah I decided to turn off the rain sensing function because of this. Most of the time, they just didnt work they way they should have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

javediqbal

TDI
2013 Passat
I just got my 2013 TDI SEL premium, wanted to see if I can have help to get the rain sensing wiper activated. From this forum, it seems that VCDS is required. I am in the Chicago area, could I get help here. Of course please be safe out there.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Almost as soon as I got the car I activated the rain sensor function and it has worked flawlessly for me ever since.