3M protective film

Scrounger

TDI
'13 Jetta TDI DSG Premium NAV
Has anyboby had the 3M protective film installed on the front of your Passat to hold down on the stone damage on the highway. Looking for advice on what it cost to have a shop install or can you do this as a DIY project and save serious cash.

pkiron

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Has anyboby had the 3M protective film installed on the front of your Passat to hold down on the stone damage on the highway. Looking for advice on what it cost to have a shop install or can you do this as a DIY project and save serious cash.
Just did mine and it was for the hood, bumper and mirrors. 700.00

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I am going to piggy back onto your thread and ask about this stuff called Diamond Fusion. it's a windshield strengthener/rainX (similar). comes with a warranty against ever chipping and cracking.

anyone have expierence with this or heard of it? seems like a decent investment if I don't ahve to worry about replacing my windsheild, but I have done some research and it sounds like there is no huge following of how great this stuff is and most of the data/information is old news....

I Initially said yes to it but am having second thoughts.

In response to your question. i find the film to look tacky and distracting in appearance. As "invisible" as it is I can still see it and it bothers me. I will take my chances with rock chips etc that's normal for a car to have. If it got horrible I will get it repainted.

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Had the clear bra installed before taking delivery. Covered about 18" of hood, front portion of fenders, and backs of mirrors. Got the wholesale price of $169. Well worth it--especially when you live in the Rocky Mountains!

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I just had a stone nail my windshield on the highway. I will now need a new windshield on my week old 2013 Passat.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
I just had a stone nail my windshield on the highway. I will now need a new windshield on my week old 2013 Passat.

Let me know what it costs to replace if you don't mind.

I'm still trying to get the dealer to send me info on this windsheild product I bought. I want to see the warranty and fine print.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Been there with a brand new vechile and broken windshield. It sucks. Hope you have free replacement with your insurance.

Scrounger

TDI
I am going to piggy back onto your thread and ask about this stuff called Diamond Fusion. it's a windshield strengthener/rainX (similar). comes with a warranty against ever chipping and cracking.

anyone have expierence with this or heard of it? seems like a decent investment if I don't ahve to worry about replacing my windsheild, but I have done some research and it sounds like there is no huge following of how great this stuff is and most of the data/information is old news....

I Initially said yes to it but am having second thoughts.

In response to your question. i find the film to look tacky and distracting in appearance. As "invisible" as it is I can still see it and it bothers me. I will take my chances with rock chips etc that's normal for a car to have. If it got horrible I will get it repainted.

That is sorta my thought on the paint film. On your windshield treatment, what does that run. My insurance will replace a windshield at no cost so it really doesnt apply to me.

Scrounger

TDI
Had the clear bra installed before taking delivery. Covered about 18" of hood, front portion of fenders, and backs of mirrors. Got the wholesale price of $169. Well worth it--especially when you live in the Rocky Mountains!

That is one serious deal since they are going for over $700 around here.

ChadS99SVT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG
That is sorta my thought on the paint film. On your windshield treatment, what does that run. My insurance will replace a windshield at no cost so it really doesnt apply to me.
charging me $500. I am pretty sure I'm going to tell them to scrap it. hopefully it's not to much of a pain:mad:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....

You probably saw this on their website:

"Diamon Fusion® does not provide any additional strength per se but rather resistance to impacts due to the lower coefficient of friction accomplished by its nanochemistry. Tests have shown that the weight of a debris particle required to crack a piece of glass that has been treated with Diamon Fusion® would need to be 10 times heavier than the weight required to crack an untreated piece of glass."

Now that is some claim. Because the friction coefficient of the glass is lower, a stone headed straight for the windshield at 70 MPH will slide laterally so fast that it won't impart it's full mass to the glass at the point of initial contact? That I would like to see.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Let me know what it costs to replace if you don't mind.

I'm still trying to get the dealer to send me info on this windsheild product I bought. I want to see the warranty and fine print.
Only- $250. Whew!

pruzink

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2004, silver
I had the clear bra installed on my 2004 Jetta when it was < a year old. It is one of those things that if I had it to do over I wouldn't do it. The film membrane doesn't look as good as the paint. When you wax the car you tend to get a white edge along the membrane which is hard to clean out. After about 7 years the membrane just doesn't look that good & it is very, very difficult to remove after it has been on that long. Just my opinion FWIW.

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
I recommend you purchase SAFELITE Auto Glass... I'm a 2x satisfied customer.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wondering... Is 250 OEM part or aftermarket? :confused:
Going to discuss that with the agent in the morning. Since the car is new. It should have new OEM parts. Needing to speak to someone who will sign off on it.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I installed 3M paint protection film on my 2003 F150 when I bought it new. I sold the truck after 8.5 years to my brother and still get to see it. From 10', you cannot tell it is there. No yellowing, but dust does tend to build up there. The detailing products I sue do not leave residue, but I'm sure some do. Here is a picture I took when I installed it, only on the quarter panel before I did the hood.

I am considering ordering kits from Invisible Mask for my Passat. I'm not sure why I have not done it yet.

Last edited:

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
I had the clear bra installed on my 2004 Jetta when it was < a year old. It is one of those things that if I had it to do over I wouldn't do it. The film membrane doesn't look as good as the paint. When you wax the car you tend to get a white edge along the membrane which is hard to clean out. After about 7 years the membrane just doesn't look that good & it is very, very difficult to remove after it has been on that long. Just my opinion FWIW.
Wraps have come a long ways from 2004. They don't yellow as much and the wrap itself is of better quality.

Even if it were to look a little off (eye of the beholder), just think of the savings when you go to sell… You just protected your paint from thousands of miles of sand and rock wear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How about laminx for just the head lights?

ttoplesstts

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
We had the Xpel clear film installed on our Passat. I researched the web quite a bit between the 3M, XPEL, and others and most forums seemed to prefer the XPel product over 3M. I found a local installer here that works independently with the Porsche, Jaguar, and Ferrari dealerships to install the product as their vehicles arrive at the showroom. They did a great job and it has already protected our paint from some debris just in the first 13k miles.

We had the bikini-cut hood, front bumper, and quarter-panels covered for $600. I wish I had covered the top of the back bumper for inserting and removing items from the trunk. I'll probably go back and have that covered at some point. No rush as it doesn't get a ton of traffic or debris.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Update on windshield. Found out my insurance policy does NOT have OEM as a replacement option. From this point forward, that option is now checked... So I am getting the dealer to do it with OEM glass, and still get to send the bill to Insurance, and still pay @ $300 with the deductable when all is said and done. This dealer (Langhorne) does good work, so no worries.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm glad you are going with OE glass from Langhorne. I'd be sick if you put an aftermarket windshield in a brand new car!

sc00byd00311

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta (Zubie)
So is aftermarket glass lower quality or does it look out of place or do you just need to see that little vw emblem at the bottom?

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There is also the quality of the installation. If they don't do it right or scratch the paint on the windshield frame, you will end up with leaks and rust around the windshield down the road.

Spend more now, save more later.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
^^

Our insurance tried to get me to replace the whole windshield because of a small stone chip... I had them fill it instead. I do NOT want the glass cut out of our car with 7,000 miles on it!

-J

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I doubt that there is after market glass available for the Passat yet. I know for my wife's Mercedes E350 there was none for at least the first two years.