Um, where'd it go?... Oh, there it is.

VT TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
Problem, 1st gear Power well... we all know its that 2 second filler before the star comes out.

2nd Gear pulls like a freaking champ, (Every gear should pull like second)

3rd gear. Tach drops to 3k rpm, um... gonna get going buddy? tick tock tick tock VROOM! ok.. there it is.

4th and 5th pull fine with no lag.

What the heck is causing this? I just cleaned my my intake completely, was limp modeing periodically (this is now gone). From what i understand from driving the car for a year and watching videos 3rd is somewhat of a cruiseing gear and does wind up a tad slower. But im thinking lag equivilant to the time it takes for grandma to hit the gas once the light turns green is not supposed to be there. (MAF is good, didnt throw codes when intake manifold was being cleaned) However when I did unplug it, to drive down the road to diagnose limpmodeing it did not throw a CEL. hmmmm... any thoughts?

VT TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
I stated that wrong in my haste, should have been MAF appears to be good. But when it didnt throw a CEL after it was driven with while unplugged made me think twice. Thats a pretty horrid boost drop ya got there... But this only seems to happen from 2nd to 3rd gear. and its VERY noticeable, esp when putting it to about 4k RPM. going into 3rd the power just goes poof. You can even see the tach dip below what its normally at in the other gears. (From what i see 4k RPM Shift drops the tach down to about 3k RPM in the next highest gear) If i put it to 4k in 2nd and shift to 3rd it stays at 3 for a sec dips a little lower then comes up... strange, guess im just gonna man up and get a new MAF

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
There's a link in my signature for A4 limp mode troubleshooting.

Start there and post back your findings or confusing results.

Tony