Who Here Clays Their Car Before Waxing?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Although the paint appears to be in really good shape on my car, I am considering using a clay bar on the paint before applying the Classi "All-In-One" that I apply twice yearly. I have never used a clay bar before. I've done the "plastic bag over my hand test" on the paint and I can feel a bunch of little bumps in the paint.

Is claying a good thing to do? Does it really make a difference in the finish? Any good brands of clay bar/lubricant I should use?

Thanks.

--Nate

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I do it and even on my pitted, swirled 6, year old finish it helps substantially. Did it a couple weeks back and the swirls on my roof are no longer visible. It won't do the job of a good polish, but it is safe and effective IMHO. I used a meguires kit that comes with a detailer lube that i keep in the hatch to clean off the occasional bird leavings.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
I will admit that I do. It makes a world of difference... expecially if you're a bit picky (like I tend to be) about how your car looks. I use Zaino clay bars and a solution of Zaino car wash & water for lube. My wife and my children (girls) make fun of me for doing this. The first time my wife came out to the garage while I was claying and asked what I was doing I got an "I can't believe I married such an idiot" look from her!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Claying is the easiest way of getting the surface really clean and it doesn't take much time unless the surface is trashed from neglect.

FWIW, you need an intermediate polishing step following the claying process. Clay is abrasive and there are several grades ranging from mild to aggressive.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Can someone point me to a good step-by-step guide for what I should do to my 2-year-old paint that has never been serviced at all, aside from about 4 or 6 hand-washings?

cbass94

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 2011 JSW
cmitchell said:
I will admit that I do. It makes a world of difference... expecially if you're a bit picky (like I tend to be) about how your car looks. I use Zaino clay bars and a solution of Zaino car wash & water for lube. My wife and my children (girls) make fun of me for doing this. The first time my wife came out to the garage while I was claying and asked what I was doing I got an "I can't believe I married such an idiot" look from her!
I know that situation all too well, haha!

Definitely recommend a good clay bar job twice a year (less if you always keep a good coat of wax on there). It sure does do wonders though.

frank p

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
i also do it twice a year, i have a silver jetta and every mettalic flake dances in the sun light when im done!

cowtipping

TDI
2000 Beetle
I work for a detailing shop and your best bet might be to pay the 80 dollars because after you get it detailed once and get all the fine scratches out and everything back to the way it should be all you have to do is handwash it to keep it nice but also an occational hand wax will also help! ~Cameron

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
cmitchell said:
Ditto. Every word... even "the look"...

I clay the whole car once in the spring, and once in the fall. It's quick and easy; one of my favourite detailing jobs - low effort, high return.

<cough>detailing forum...<cough><cough>

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
see! he's hooked and has $100 of clay there...

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The 3M stuff was free, courtesy of VWoA. The Meg's was expensive...I'll admit to that. Don't know what Griot's is getting nowadays. They've been selling clay forever.

I think the least expensive option is "Clay Magic". Some say you get a kit from WallingSmart or Autozone...I've never seen it in my local stores.

Body shop supply stores also sell clay since it's so good at removing overspray...has been for years ;)

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Yeah, it makes a huge difference. All the little bumps should come out. Most people will use an "instant detailer" spray with it, but I usually just use a little car wash soap seeing as it helps the clay glide over the surface much better. It's a great way to clear the paint of little imperfections and doesn't take all that much work.

When I was showing the Jetta, I used to do this about 2x a year.

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Richie sez:

NOW YOU CAN CLEAN PAINT WITHOUT POLISHING AND IN A FRACTION OF THE TIME WITH OUR PAINT CLEANING CLAY

Regardless of how clean you think your paint is, there are still contaminants stuck on the paint that you need to remove before waxing or polishing your paint. Paint Cleaning Clay leaves behind an ultra-smooth surface that will make your wax adhere better and last longer, too. It also makes the wax much easier remove, reducing your "elbow grease" substantially. Clay is safe for all paint and also works great on glass to get it squeaky clean. To use, just remove the clay from the wrapper, spray the paint's surface with Speed Shine® (acts as a lubricating fluid), and rub the clay back and forth until there is no drag. This means your paint is clean! Unlike other cleaners and polishes, no buffing or hard circular motions are necessary. Takes literally one fourth the time as it would using paint cleaner! Follow up with Best of Show Wax® and your paint will look stunning! The large 8 ounce bar cleans about 7 vehicles, depending on the amount of contamination your surface is covered with. I urge you to try this clay. The results are amazing!

$20, PLEASE! :)

Tech Tip

Not all clays are alike!

First of all, we give you more... a lot more! Enough to use it many times over; not just once or twice. Even though the colors may be similar, the clay is not! Most of our competitors’ clay is too hard and dense, causing it to stick to your paint, leaving behind hard-to-remove residue and streaks. Some even scratch the surface of your paint! Our Paint Cleaning Clay is safe for all types of paint and leaves no reside or scratches behind. Size DOES matter!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
I've clayed my car before and need to again... My g/f is full-on nuts when it comes to washing & waxing her cars and uses clay more often. We (she) use Zaino products almost exclusively...

I'm kinda looking forward to doing this now that I have a lift... getting the lower panel areas really clean has always been a real pain on the Jetta... It'll be a lot nicer to work on those areas at chest level when sitting on the shop stool.. :p

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I'd love to do this to my car. Doe anyone know of any good places to get this kind of stuff without getting ripped off? Any good online reatailers of car detailing products?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
J double R said:
'dorf, are you making money off of these links? cuz i may just end up buying half the stuff there.. ;)
No, I wish i was :eek:

There are no shortages of places to leave your $$$. I don't have any solid suggestions for local businesses that retail clay apart from the body shop supply stores.

Again, Clay Magic seems to be the most well-known.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
What's your preferred clay lately, DD?

I'm about done my Zaino, and it's my understanding, due to patent laws, that they were forced to change the formula since I last purchased... and apparently it's not quite as good.

I've got some erazer (aka Riccardo's up here), but I find it way too soft. Maybe it doesn't like my regular lube (a drip of Zaino wash, Z7, mixed in a spray bottle). My Zaino Z18 was perfect.

btw... here is my "kit" these days...

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
S, I haven't bought any for some time. The last brick I purchased was the Meg's mild pictured above. I've used only about 1/3 of that bar.

There have been a lot of newer clays released...I'm just not familiar with them. The trend is towards finer (less abrasive) products that can be used more often and are said not to remove the LSP and minimize the need for an intermediate polishing phase.

I use clay no more than 2X per year. Some seem to use it far more often.

T

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
fight urge to click on link....don't let dorf get you addicted again...stop remembering autopia username....:D