HELP!!! Wife lost only key fob

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I am the owner of a 2013 Passat TDI SEL-- so on yesterday, my wife was on her way to Dave and Busters for her nephew's birthday party. She went to the car to start it and came back to get our son. When she got to Arundel Mills Mall and parked (approx. 30 miles away), she discovered that she didn't have the key. We searched high and low to no avail, I caught an Uber back up there today and called roadside assistance. When the tow truck guy arrived he told me that they were unable to tow the car because the steering wheel was locked (wheels turned left), and couldn't get the car in neutral. He told me to call the dealership tomorrow and just bring them proof of ownership and have them to cut a key wothout the car being present. I'm not sure it's that easy. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I bought it used, one key fob. I have a second uncut one that I bought last month, but didn't get around to going to the dealership to get it programmed.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
yeah, with proof of ownership, they'll cut you a key to unlock the steering wheel, but those keys usually require programming, so you'll probably still need to be towed to the dealer.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Our 13 golf had two fobs and one service key which I keep in a file with my car docs. Any chance you still have that one?

Never mind as your answer popped up, what about first owner, do you have contact info?

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Wife just recently bought a one year old pathfinder at the same dealership that had sold it when new.. the dealership tried to convince us that one key and fob is the normal for selling cars. Said we can buy and pay for programing for another but they would not include it. we got up and walked out, was halfway to our car before he ran out to us, and said they would make another. So I told them to get us to sit back down they would have to give us a third also.

Its good to get another key programed after buying a car because they can remove all other keys from memory. in case someone (previous owner or some dishonest car washer working at dealer) does have the spare keys somewhere.

when you get new keys made make sure you ask them to remove all old keys from programing.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
Sounds like it may be easier to get a new wife than a new key fob! :D;):):cool:

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
LOL at new wife, not a bad idea---especially since she's trying to convince be the accept the buyback and get another car smh. Anyway, I finally got it towed for $160 (USAA reimbursed me immediately), grand total for the key fob + programming was $384.00, of course I'm still waiting for the key to come from VW. I *****ed to the GM (he just lowered the price to $299) after checking with seven other dealerships in my area and getting quotes as low as $245. I honestly wanted to know why there was a shop supplies charge on a programming job.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
did you get two while there? the key fobs are a per each charge, but the programming should be the same whether for 1, 2, or even 3 keys.

shop supply charge. well the fob is probably in a plastic bag, sealed in a plastic vacuform with sissors needed to open, that is in a box, which is shipped in a larger box with foam peanuts and pillow pads. and the key is a separate piece in all the same sort of wraping, and also the battery. by the time you finish there is a full garbage can.

Mr20024

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
did you get two while there? the key fobs are a per each charge, but the programming should be the same whether for 1, 2, or even 3 keys.

shop supply charge. well the fob is probably in a plastic bag, sealed in a plastic vacuform with sissors needed to open, that is in a box, which is shipped in a larger box with foam peanuts and pillow pads. and the key is a separate piece in all the same sort of wraping, and also the battery. by the time you finish there is a full garbage can.

I'm lae but thanks for shedding a new perspective on it. I bought one key and got a "Tile" put on it, hopefully that lasts until we do the buyback next month.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Remember when Dave & Busters was fun and for adults? They ruined it by letting kids in there. Now it's just a glorified Chuck E Cheese. :mad:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Remember when Dave & Busters was fun and for adults? They ruined it by letting kids in there. Now it's just a glorified Chuck E Cheese. :mad:
Can't resist:

When we were raising our daughters, the wife insisted we hold the kid's birthday parties at Chuck E Cheese's place. I used to say that Chuck E Cheese was God's way of punishing parents for having children.:mad: