Heated mirrors - passenger only?

Powersmokin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
First time using the heated mirrors last week. Only the passenger mirror seemed to work. It may sound stupid, but are both mirrors supposed to heat? Seems like they should..

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
First time using the heated mirrors last week. Only the passenger mirror seemed to work. It may sound stupid, but are both mirrors supposed to heat? Seems like they should..
Wow first time in 2 years? And you live in Colorado? Take it to the dealer you must have some warranty. Now as I type I'm thinking.........did you buy the car used or new? And yes when you put the switch to defrost the mirrors they both are heated.

Powersmokin

TDI
Wow first time in 2 years? And you live in Colorado? Take it to the dealer you must have some warranty. Now as I type I'm thinking.........did you buy the car used or new? And yes when you put the switch to defrost the mirrors they both are heated.
Just bought it a week ago. Its got powertrain only left. I assumed that both were supposed to work. I can live with only one. Lived with zero so far.

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
The electrical connections can slip off, or if the previous owner changed them out and forgot, plus it's a grid heater, so it's rare they straight up fail.

If you have or someone local can scan the car with VagCom, I'd suspect you'd see a code for a driver mirror short.

Either way, it should be an easy fix. You can read a diy here (or vortex) for changing the mirror glass. That should get you through most of the heavy lifting.

If I think of it when I get home, I'll try to post something back.

Kyle

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Powersmokin

TDI
My scanner yielded nothing. Perhaps it can't communicate with the Chassis Control Unit (what is it called on these cars?)
Will it set an active fault? Ie. seeing it on the display?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I am not. I haven't gotten around to getting it yet.
What's the difference between vag com.and vcds?
They are the same thing. Ross-Tech changed the name from VAG-COM to VCDS, but is the same product. And as sootchucker said, it has the ability to not only scan deep into the electronic heart of any VW, Audi or Porsche vehicle, but can modify many of those details to enhance your driving pleasure. :D