Looking at a Golf TSI, but---

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Is it possible to buy a new Golf that is not connected, such that this car cannot be tracked? I want a radio as my only "connected to the outside world electronics" If not, can a GPS etc. be disabled? I am scared of having someone monitor my car speed, location or mileage.
Anyone else care about this?

InfoSec Guy

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
GPS is a one-way feed: Satellite to receiver.

Have you considered the fact that your license plate is being scanned at every tollgate you roll through? Or those white bullet-shaped cameras on top of the traffic light posts are scanning every car that rolls through the intersection? What about the Red Light cameras that are snapping your pic as you come to a stop, but the idiot ahead of you didn't?

Smartphone enabled? Don't worry; Google's already got ya.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Big brother already knows every move you make. :D

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Don't like to be tracked

A dealer told me to get one without CarNet to eliminate any tracking of the car. I don't have a cell phone and most of my driving is on rural roads so I would not be exposed to much license plate monitoring or traffic light viewing.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Don't forget about the toll tags that are used for traffic metrics on regular roads.

undertow999

TDI
2013 Passat SE w/sunoof
A dealer told me to get one without CarNet to eliminate any tracking of the car. I don't have a cell phone and most of my driving is on rural roads so I would not be exposed to much license plate monitoring or traffic light viewing.

Almost every police department also has License Plate Readers (LPR) systems on their patrol cars. Reads a plate, logs the gps location, date, time, and loads to a database that all law enforcement can track and have access to.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Plus we're probably not experts on the new Golf. You might have better luck with your specific question in the Golf forum (assuming there is one).

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Just unplug the CarNet module. My module is sitting on a shelf in the garage. I wanted the space it was occupying for something else. :)