Manual swap 2005

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Ok so I have just done a manual swap on my 2005 Passat tdi. Had taken the trans computer and cluster out of a donor car I had. Computer had a Malone stage2. So my question is why is my auto drive lights still on the cluster PRND321. And also faction control and abs light. Do I need someone to reflash it again? Also speedo is all over the map. Working on and off and reading slower when working. Thanks for ppl input. Cheers.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
If you cant find the write up on here malone has a good walk through i found using google, i was able to do it in less than an hour my first time ever using the ross tech cable.

As for the bouncy speedo, if your speedo was working before check your connection at the vss plug. If you unplug and re plug it and it still isnt working swap the vss from your old auto tranny into your new 5 speed. I had to take the front and middle 6mm allens out of the cover over the cv axle and loosen the 3rd to get the vss out. A bit of a pain in the car but the drivers side is easier to access than the pass at least.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
If you cant find the write up on here malone has a good walk through i found using google, i was able to do it in less than an hour my first time ever using the ross tech cable.
As for the bouncy speedo, if your speedo was working before check your connection at the vss plug. If you unplug and re plug it and it still isnt working swap the vss from your old auto tranny into your new 5 speed. I had to take the front and middle 6mm allens out of the cover over the cv axle and loosen the 3rd to get the vss out. A bit of a pain in the car but the drivers side is easier to access than the pass at least.

Thank you I’m going to call Malone today. And as for the speedo. It was actually doing this just previous to when I did the swap. Sold all of the speedo got from the automatic goes in the manual transmission?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes the vss is the same part on both transmissions. Just make sure its clean around where it mounts into transmission so you dont get debris falling down into the transmission. If it started acting up before make sure you don't have any damaged wires/plug. I've not seen many bad clusters over the years in vehicles but have had many bad vss sensors including the one in the 5 speed i just installed.

Walk through from Malone on your ross(im assuming you have a ross cable as it's mandatory to do this, i dont think obdeleven will do all this, obdeleven couldn't even tell me what it could or couldn't do

How to Recode a Passat BHW TDI ECU from Automatic to Manual | Malone ...
https://malonetuning.com › passat-bhw-...

Last edited:

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Hmmmm well I know what I’m doing when I get home tonight. Now wouldn’t all of this been on my computer already though. Seeing I have did the manual swap before and used the computer and cluster out of my car.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have an auto car your (can bus?) And abs all must be set for a manual tranny not matter what ecu you do or dont use.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
I'm not sure if the coding in the ECU will shut off the PRND321 on the dash....I have not done any coding on mine, just removed the TCU under the passenger front carpet and those light are out for me.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I unfortnatly didn't try mine so i couldn't tell you what happens without following all the steps. I had my ecu tuned before i even got the 5 speed installed. I hooked up my vag-com and went through the procedure i linked before i even tried to start the car.

On a side note i am happy with my dvz scooting around town. Seems fine at 80 mph but i don't get to stretch her legs that much all too often. Did you get your tranny issues sorted?

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Trans is still grinding 3rd gear. Not so bad if you drop the rpms to around 1000 While up shifting. And it binds in to first gear some times. That was a lot of fun one night trying to make it home. Know of any binding issues with the FHN trans?

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
i don't know of any binding issues with any of these transmissions, being that you can swap internals between the fhn and dvz id imagine one is no stronger than the other.

Are you 100% sure your clutch is fully disengaging and your shifter linkage is not off a bit? You've had some bad luck with these transmissions. Ill try to shift at 1000 rpms tomorrow and see if that causes any grinding. I have a 45 lbs flyweel so my rpms are slower to come down than say a 20 lbs flyweel.

Last edited:

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
No it will grind if I have the rpms higher then 1000. If I drop them to 1000 it wont grind. Anything higher though it will grand. Iv had pretty good luck with the trans for the first 3 years. Not it’s been nothing but problems. I wasn’t bribing it at the time it started having issues with 3rd. Wife was I’m thinking It’s the Synchronizer. As for it binding I’m not to sure. It will jam in to first and won’t come out car on or off. Drive for a good 20kms in first wiggling around the shifter till it decided to pop out. And start shifting though the gears fine. But will still do it from not and then. Really sucks in traffic when you can’t get it to pop out of first.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If others report grinding above 1k and you're driving with the rev hanging auto tune that may make an already worn syncro wear the rest of the way out pretty quickly.

Just a guess. Im by no means a transmission guru

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I payed attention to my tach this morning. When i shift around 2200 to 2400 rpms i am out of gear and going into the next @ 1500 to 1800 rpms. So it's well above the 1000 mark but with no throttle. Fwiw im running the whitbread recommended redline (green) i notice it smoother after a mile or two but it also takes that long for my kevlar fx300 clutch from clutchmaster to warm up.

I notice zero grinding (donor car had 130k) but there is that slight noticeable resistance like the butter just isn't warm yet. After a few miles it's like sliding through butter even when when spirited driving/shifting.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you're running the redline shockproof, it's at a viscosity much higher than recommended by VW. Great for protecting gears, but not so friendly to syncro action. I run the same fluid in my 6spd, and it would only shift into all gears properly once fully warmed.

A thinner (but still meeting GL4/GL5) fluid may solve your grind

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
I’ll have to change out the oil. Not to sure what I have in it right now. On a side note. Now the engine is back firing when I get on the accelerator. Ugh. Hoping old fuel is the cause

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
No issue here in any gear but sago palms also grow in our temperature zone.

Moggycj

TDI
05 passat
Ahhhh well that no good. Engines just over the 300k mark. Good thing I have a spare engine. Just needs timing belt done.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
I've had the same issues as Moggycj with my transmissions. 1st and 2nd transmission since I did my swap, 3rd gear started grinding, then the syncro ring broke and started jamming into other gears. The 2nd one actually jammed the broken syncro ring into the gearset and broke the gearcase. Ive finally found an organic disc to work in my aftermarket flywheel/pressure plate to replace the ceramic 6 puck. Also going to replace the rubber shift rod joint with a solid one as mine is pretty loose. I'm hoping these things will alleviate the issues with wearing out these syncros in such short order....

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I've had the same issues as Moggycj with my transmissions. 1st and 2nd transmission since I did my swap, 3rd gear started grinding, then the syncro ring broke and started jamming into other gears. The 2nd one actually jammed the broken syncro ring into the gearset and broke the gearcase. Ive finally found an organic disc to work in my aftermarket flywheel/pressure plate to replace the ceramic 6 puck. Also going to replace the rubber shift rod joint with a solid one as mine is pretty loose. I'm hoping these things will alleviate the issues with wearing out these syncros in such short order....
I would not replace the joint with a solid one. You will put more strain on the shifter forks with a solid joint and it will also transmit a lot more vibration into the shifter mechanism. If you can, get a new OE rubber joint.

50mpgtdi

TDI
04 VW Passat TDI
Yea, I did end up deciding against that for now. I reinspected mine and thought about the physics behind it and decided the rubber one would be less hard on syncros.