03 Jetta Wagon - Locked out of rear hatch

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
help, please. I lift the button on the drivers door or push the middle button on the key fob, then I pull the handle above the license plate and I hear the "zzinng" sound as usual but the hatch latch will not release. I can't find a way to pull the carpet-like panel off the inside of the hatch (I'm not sure it can coe off). But I think I need to be inside. I have a lot of travel with bulky items in the next couple of weeks.
Can someone suggest some way to get the hatch released?

Thanks, MrG
(PS A couple of weeks ago, the rear hatch window shattered in the heat, there was a lot of little glass around. Might be related, but I can't clean it up unless I can open the hatch and get into it.)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would start by trying to release the hatch while pushing in on the hatch to make sure that it is not jammed / something caught between the hatch and frame.

If that doesn't work, you will need to remove the inner panel - there are two screws, one in each "pull pocket" aimed diagonally downward when the hatch is closed.

After those two screws, there are a dozen or so clips around the perimeter of that inner trim panel, and you will need to pull it off - it can be weaseled out while the hatch is closed.

once the panel is off, you can pull the release rod manually - perhaps it has come off.

You can also (if it's not sized) try the key in the keyhole - it has a rod that goes directly to the latch if I recall.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
To get a start on pulling the panel off if needed I found starting in the centre at the top easiest, just got a couple of fingers in then worked my way out.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To get a start on pulling the panel off if needed I found starting in the centre at the top easiest, just got a couple of fingers in then worked my way out.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for your help. I'll give it a try first thing in the AM before it gets too hot.
(I tried pushing on the frame, no good. I'm pretty sure that the key slot in the hatch is siezed - has been since I've had the car - 9 1/2 years; I may try a tiny bit of light penetrating oil.)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think you'd get it free but even if you did I doubt it'd make any odds in this situation, it sounds like for whatever reason the actuator isn't pulling the lever on the catch.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think you'd get it free but even if you did I doubt it'd make any odds in this situation, it sounds like for whatever reason the actuator isn't pulling the lever on the catch.
I tried the key last night - I hear the actuator motor just the same but no luck in getting it open. I'll disassemble this AM. I'm pretty sure that something is jammed in the latch mechanism itself. Next question will be is if the jam has meant that the pull rod between the actuator motor and the latch is broken. :(

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Thanks for this thread.
My wagon hatch is in the same boat, I hear the actuator but its not releasing the hatch or pulling on the release like it should. with the key or anything.

going to have to pull my inner panel from the inside.. fun times.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for this thread.
My wagon hatch is in the same boat, I hear the actuator but its not releasing the hatch or pulling on the release like it should. with the key or anything.
going to have to pull my inner panel from the inside.. fun times.
It's really pretty easy, and immediately apparent how it all works when you get the panel off. That's a good thing because my fix worked for about 12 hours so I'm going to have to do it again. :mad: (This is guessing that the Golf hatch is the same - or at least similar - to the Jetta Wagon.)
You'll see the little plastic retainer. I'm going to see why it's not retaining on my car and I may put a little zip-tie on it to be sure it stays this time.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's really pretty easy, and immediately apparent how it all works when you get the panel off. That's a good thing because my fix worked for about 12 hours so I'm going to have to do it again. :mad: (This is guessing that the Golf hatch is the same - or at least similar - to the Jetta Wagon.)
You'll see the little plastic retainer. I'm going to see why it's not retaining on my car and I may put a little zip-tie on it to be sure it stays this time.

No, the wagon is all done with an electrical actuator unlike the hatch which is mechanically connected from the handle, the plastic trim on the wagon is also a lot easier to remove with the lid closed thankfully lol

Mine just wouldn't make any noise at all, wouldn't actuate, occasionally worked with a thump or sometimes if I locked and unlocked again it would work lol

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Use the key, you probably aren't turning it enough. The key is "hard wired" so if the actuator rod or whatever falls off, you can still open the hatch. I broke the rod on my sedan but could still open it with the key.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
You should be able to open it with the key, I have been doing this in my Golf for years now

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
There was a statement above about the golf being the same as the wagon, this is not correct. the golf had a hard wired handle you pull up on, the wagon uses a button or which you push on that activates the mechanism, so don't assume. I have dealt with both but I cant remember how they differ entirely at the moment - in respect to the key comments especially.

the handle on the wagon is a micro switch just like in the door circuits, I have seen them fail.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
the handle on the wagon is a micro switch just like in the door circuits, I have seen them fail.
Damn you, I'll have to take one of my hatch's apart now, :p

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
You should be able to open it with the key, I have been doing this in my Golf for years now
The lock cylinder in the 02 wagon hatch was completely filled with grit and corrosion and seized as a result.
Numerous flushings with penetrant cleared it enough to turn and open.
I then removed the cylinder and was able to clean it well,