California SMOG

Gumbojones55

TDI
2012 Jetta
Hey guys,

I just got my registration renewal letter in the mail. It says I have to get a somg done. Has anyone done this on their TDI in California yet? I did some searches and didn't find anything that mentioned the emissions scandal and what that means for CA drivers who have to run a somg. It doesn't make any sense to me to run a somg check on a vechicle that is made to cheat the test.

Anyways, let me know if you guys have any experience with this.

-Gumbo

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
There is nothing illegal about your car right now. You won't have any trouble "smogging" it or registering. When a solution comes, they will let you know what to do.

Donald

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Did you have the 23O6 campaign/recall/whatever done? It was issued back in April of 2015.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
It probably just means you're due for your biennial smog check. Remember, when you get a diesel smogged in CA, all that's checked are the OBD2 readiness flags and a quick check to make sure you have stock emissions. It's a waste of money, but as long as your car is stock and not throwing CELs, you'll be fine. You can also pay prior to getting this done, so your registration isn't late.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Thanks for linking back to my post, but the OP was asking about being required to smog. My registration didn't require a smog, as I would've been up for that next year, had I not moved the vehicle out of state. My problem was that the DMV error message was "Status changed."

So again to the OP - if DMV lets you pay your registration fees, then all you need is a smog check and you're good to go. The test results are sent electronically and you'll get your registration and stickers in the mail if you pay prior to getting the SMOG done.

jlh1960

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
I had mine smogged in December. The tech laughed when I said it was one of the cheating TDIs. He said then it will pass for sure. He plugged it into the port and did a visual inspection of the tailpipe. As long as it's not spewing soot and you don't have a CEL, it's a sure thing.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
Our Passat just passed two weeks ago. Good for another 2 years, unless the VW update will require a retest. Just waiting for the tags to arrive from the DMV.

Just received the new tag. (2/12/16)

Last edited: