Got DSG oil change at dealership and RNS510 asks for security code now!

mrxmanforever

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDI
At 40,000 miles I went to get DSG transmittion oil change on my 2009 JSW TDI at REYDEL VW in Edison NJ.

They gave me a 2010 Tiguan as a loaner during the service, I came to give back the loaner & pick up my car at 7:30 pm and when I was driving back home turned on the RNS-510 and to my surprise I got a message saying enter SECURITY CODE !?

I am the original owner of the vehicle and I have never entered any kind of security code on the radio, whats going on ? Someone please if you know whats going on please help me. THANKS

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
They removed the battery to perform the DSG service.

For whatever reason, I've seen many folks have various radio issues after getting service at the dealership. I think it might have someting to do with their scan tool. The newer radios seem to remember what car they were installed in prior to the power outage, and if it's installed in the same car after power is restored it doesn't normally ask for the security code.

I've seen non navi radios get re-coded so the Aux-In doesn't work anymore after being at the dealership on a few occasions as well.

I've done service on quite a few cars with battery out, battery left in, etc.. and I've never had to recode the radio (save for my '97 Jetta..)

No way to fix this unless you go back to the dealer and have them retrieve the code from their database. Newer cars don't seem to come with the code anymore (Check your owners manuals, I might be wrong and it might be in there.) Don't try too many times with the wrong code. It locks out after a few attemps and either requires a cooling off period, or less likely but possible, destroys the radio to the point where it will require service.

Last edited:

mrxmanforever

TDI
So if I go back to the dealer tommorrow and tell them they screwed up my radio they should have the means of restoring it right ?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
So if I go back to the dealer tommorrow and tell them they screwed up my radio they should have the means of restoring it right ?
Without question. They can type in either your VIN or the serial number of the radio and provide you the 4 digit code to restore the radio.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
When I picked my car up at Reydel once, they just laid the battery cables on the terminals.

mrxmanforever

TDI
Ok so I went back today and they got the navigation on again but driving around now I noticed if I go "off route" it DOES NOT "reroute" and it does not talk anymore it does not say " make left in 200 feet" for instance anymore and does not recalculate if you take the wrong street. Also it does not show the "turn" arrows in my MDF anymore. What did they do wrong? Someone Help Please.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Sounds like they did a hard core reset on the Radio programming some how.

The navigation options you can change by pressing the "Setup" button on the nav unit. You can re-enable speech announcements and re-routing.

If the radio no longer displays in the MFD, it's likely that the option for "Communicate via operation and display protocol (BAP)" has been enabled in the radio's long coding. This will require a VCDS / or dealer scan tool to resolve.

For good measure, give the nav unit a reset by pressing eject, and the left and right arrow buttons adjacent to the DVD slot a press. After you hold those three buttons, the nav unit will go black and reboot. If this doesn't work, you need to get back with the dealer or find someone with a VCDS.

mrxmanforever

TDI
DZCAD90 Thanks for trying to help me out with this the past 2 days.

I went into SETUP but there are no working options for speech announcment or rerouting ?! I'll try to take some pictures with my iphone and post them here.
Also I noticed the navigation does not "DIM" or go into night mode any more even though in settings it is set to "AUTO" in day/night option.

Last edited: