(AB 1488 Chapter No. 739)

Adds diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after the 1997 model-year
that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8,501 pounds to be
in the biennial smog check program.

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Old news. Law was passed last year, strictly driven by the availability of ULSD. There is only one vendor who makes a tailpipe testing device for diesels so they're trying to figure out how to integrate everything into the existing system. Visual inspection, and then maybe a tailpipe test...not until Jan 1, 2010...

SilverD

TDI
Silver 2002 Golf
This sucks big time . . .

One of the prime reasons I bought my TDI six years ago was to avoid smog tests. I don't mind keeping my car in good shape, but my old Saab 900T ran a bit lean and was really, really hard to smog. My sister's Eagle had the same problem, so it wasn't unique to Saab. Then my very informative smog guy sold his shop, and the state started this random "Test Only" stuff where they give you no information aside from pass or fail. What a pain.

I have one engineer buddy who used to work in Detroit for the emissions lab at Chrysler. He doesn't think diesel testing will ever be fully implemented here unless the number of diesel cars is greatly incresed due to the very expensive and rare equipment required - it would cost a huge amount of money for smog stations to buy diesel sniffers, and they'd never make back their investment.

In the event that this does come to pass, I wonder if my '02 has a chance of passing with RC2? If not then I'll have to get another ECU and swap them for the test.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
What you guys are missing is the the implementation of the law is still hinging on a feasability study.

The CARB invitation to inspect thread is allmost certainly part of that study.

There are very few 98-now diesels in ca under 8500 pounds GVRW, basicly a few of the smaller trucks, + TDI's and a very few mercs.

I would bet that if it does come to pass the 98-06 diesels will just get a visual, maybe and OBD scan (nothing to scan in an AHU, no O2 sensors).

Last edited:

DieselCruz

TDI
2002 VW Golf TDI - Silver/Auto
SilverD said:
I have one engineer buddy who used to work in Detroit for the emissions lab at Chrysler. He doesn't think diesel testing will ever be fully implemented here unless the number of diesel cars is greatly incresed due to the very expensive and rare equipment required - it would cost a huge amount of money for smog stations to buy diesel sniffers, and they'd never make back their investment.
I think that WILL BE the problem. I'm fairly sure that my 2002 Golf will pass (even with the EGR mod, I hope...) since I exclusively run with B99 (or B50 since the local BD station has decided that B99 is too expensive...) but what I'm also sure about it that THE SHOPS WILL MAKE THE DIESEL CAR OWNERS COMPENSATE THEM FOR THE COST OF THE TESTING EQUIPMENT through outrageously high smog check fees until each shop has the equipment cost covered.

I remember when I lived in LA County during grad school and enhanced smog became required. Smog checks went from $25-30 each to $65-80, with no free retests if you failed. I think I paid a couple of hundred dollars in smog check fees alone (not to mention all the parts and work to get the 5 year old truck to pass a test it was never designed to pass...). The funny thing was that all the people who lived a just a few miles to the east in San Bernardino County (and drove through LA County to work each day) could still take the older/cheaper test - which my truck had always been able to pass. Hmmmm... planned obsolescence...??? :rolleyes:

This new smog check requirement may sound like a good idea to the state to improve air quality, but (regardless of the presence of an OBD 2 compliant computer) why is it retroactively applying to older vehicles..?!? :confused:

In my opinion smogging these few light duty diesel cars amounts to nothing more than an enhanced/additional registration fee. :(

To me, this is taxation without (adequate) representation.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Yet another reason that I am glad I live in Ohio. My previous reside did this bullstuff yearly and it had nothing to do with inspecting your car, it had everything to do with hassling people, long lines, and red tape. I am sure our friends in control of California will spare no expense to hassle you in their quest to save their environment.

gjas18

TDI
2012 Golf Tech Package
Some states already do this.... Like the one I live in good 'ol Colorado. Thank god new diesels are exempt for 4 years so the Jetta won't need it until 2010. The cheapest place I can find for the test is $50 and a good 10-15 miles from my house. Almost as bad as raping people with the ownership tax but that is a whole other discussion.... YAY for military non-resident tax exemptions LOL;)

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
This is utter BS if it becomes law and is retroactive...

Passing a law that requires a car to pass a non-existent test at the time it was designed is not right. Retroactive laws in general are BS :mad:.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The law wouldn't be retroactive, the older law that was inplace when these vehicles where made allows for future testing of diesel vehicles if feasible.

Just because the vehicles aren't presently tested doesn't mean that there wheren't standards that the vehicles must of met in order to be sold here.

Don't get me wrong I in no way support this move.

Last edited:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Vehicle inspections are in place to make sure that the vehicle is passing emission standards as set forth for the year the vehcile was was manufactured. It's not retroactive.

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Sounds like a huge PITA for California diesel owners. You'll have to find a shop with the equipment to smog you.

At least here in AZ the smog checks are run by the state. Diesels have our own line at the smog station :).

I'm curious which test they'll do in California. For my TDI they put it on a treadmill at 55 MPH and ran an opacity test. For my friends' Powerstoke diesels they rev the truck up against the governor 9-10 times, also doing an opacity test.

The gassers smog check every other year where the diesels get checked every year :/.

Shawn

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
I just received my annual Registration Renewal Notice (for my 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon).
It clearly states at the top of the notice "SMOG CERTIFICATION REQUIRED".
No extra explanatory letter, as far as I know.
I'm going to call Sacramento on Monday, to see what's up. Feasability study??? Larry :(

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
Yes, keep us updated. There are no bi-annual smog checks here in Mendocino County, only when the vehical changes ownership. I wonder if it will be the same for diesel cars. We'll see....

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Sure glad I live in Nevada. With exception of 2 counties ... Washoe & Clark ... their ain't no smog requirements.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
gjas18 said:
Some states already do this.... Like the one I live in good 'ol Colorado. Thank god new diesels are exempt for 4 years so the Jetta won't need it until 2010. The cheapest place I can find for the test is $50 and a good 10-15 miles from my house. Almost as bad as raping people with the ownership tax but that is a whole other discussion.... YAY for military non-resident tax exemptions LOL;)
All Colorado does is Opacity testing nothing more for it's yearly certification of pre 2004 MY diesels . 2004 & later only have to test ever two years . And only in I believe it is 7 counties below 7,000 ft . Unless they have changed the scope and rules recently .

You can get the test done as low as $40 , had friend do his car last month at the diesel testing place on Mississippi just west of Santa Fee , across from the CDOT DR license office .

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
We have smog checks here in British Columbia. Really it is not a big deal. A driving opacity for non OBD2 cars, visual check of smog devices and an OBD2 test for all computer controlled cars.

You should have no problem passing unless you are one of the clowns who has cut off the catalytic converter, "deleted the egr", vented the CCV to the atmosphere or otherwise defeated the factory emission control devices.

Call me a commie or tree hugger or whatever but you guys who actively defeat emission controls give the antidiesel crowd a reason to point and say

"hey look at the smoke!!! we should ban those damn diesels"""

On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Test

Eligible 1998 and newer light-duty vehicles receive a scan of the vehicle's built-in OBD monitoring system to ensure there are no defects with any of the vehicle's emissions control systems.
Read more about the OBD test procedure.
Watch a video describing the OBD test procedure.
IM240

1992 and newer vehicles (except diesels) are tested using the most advanced transient emissions test currently in use anywhere. The test measures emission levels for HC, CO, and NOx while the vehicle is driven over a pre-defined series of accelerations, decelerations, and cruise conditions. The test may last up to 240 seconds depending on how "clean" the vehicle is in the early part of the test.
Read more about the IM240 test procedure.
Watch a video describing the IM240 test procedure.
D147

Diesel vehicles (other than 1998 and newer light-duty vehicles) are tested using the D147 transient opacity test. This test measures smoke opacity levels while the vehicle is driven over a pre-defined series of accelerations, decelerations, and cruise conditions. The test may last up to 147 seconds depending on how "clean" the vehicle is in the early part of the test.
Read more about the D147 test procedure.
Watch a video describing the D147 test procedure.
ASM / Idle

1991 and older vehicles (except diesels) are tested using a less complicated emissions test, but still uses a dynamometer to facilitate emissions measurement while driving. The test measures emission levels for HC, CO, and NOx while the vehicle is driven at a steady speed of 40 kph and again while the engine idles. The driving test may last up to 90 seconds depending on how "clean" the vehicle is in the early part of the test.
Read more about the ASM/Idle test procedure.
Watch a video describing the ASM/Idle test procedure.
Gas Cap Pressure Test

Most vehicles also receive a functional inspection of the gas cap to ensure that it does not allow fuel vapours to escape to the atmosphere.
Tampering Inspections

Most vehicles are also visually inspected to ensure that the most important emission control devices have not been tampered with.

Last edited:

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Calif. Smog Check requirement (check Vehicle Title of Record)

Somewhat of a False Alarm.
I spent almost 20 minutes on a cell phone call to our DMV (most of that was hold time);
It seems that --
a) My 2002 vehicle is thought to be a gasoline engine type (by the DMV);
b) This would be the first registered year (based on its age) for a smog check.

They tell me that the type information (gasoline/diesel) is based on whatever my Title says.
Now I have to find my Title paper; I could have sworn that it showed Diesel, but who knows.

They say I need to drive the car into the DMV, with Title (make an appointment, etc.) to "verify" everything and get the records updated/corrected ... may have to Surrender Title, to do this. Will update here, once it's sorted. Larry

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
bluesmoker said:
Call me a commie or tree hugger or whatever but you guys who actively defeat emission controls give the antidiesel crowd a reason to point and say

"hey look at the smoke!!! we should ban those damn diesels"""
I find this comment very interesting. Most newer diesels "smoke" because of programming that adds excess fuel, not removal/defeat of Emission controls. The black smoke out of diesels is mostly unburnt fuel. That is why all the old diesels from the 70's and 80's smoke so bad. They hadn't figured out how to make them run efficiently enough back then. Diesel engines burn fuel very inefficient by nature, (compared to gas motors). Smog devices add to that inefficiency and in some cases, cause diesel engines to smoke more.

I just got done putting in a new "free flowing" exhaust system in my car. It now smokes much less than it did with the stock exhaust system. The reason is the turbo can spool up much faster and easier so it gets more air and burns the excess fuel better.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
invader said:
I find this comment very interesting. Most newer diesels "smoke" because of programming that adds excess fuel, not removal/defeat of Emission controls. The black smoke out of diesels is mostly unburnt fuel. That is why all the old diesels from the 70's and 80's smoke so bad. They hadn't figured out how to make them run efficiently enough back then. Diesel engines burn fuel very inefficient by nature, (compared to gas motors). Smog devices add to that inefficiency and in some cases, cause diesel engines to smoke more.

I just got done putting in a new "free flowing" exhaust system in my car. It now smokes much less than it did with the stock exhaust system. The reason is the turbo can spool up much faster and easier so it gets more air and burns the excess fuel better.
the simple reality is that removing the factory pollution controls increases smog etc, quite frankly that is why they were put on your car in the first place.

without a cat your NOX will skyrocket, but you dont care do you.

I support performance mods that work with the factory emission controls, removing them is just plain wrong.

If you think installing a cat delete exhaust is so wonderful move to bejing china, those people cant even see across the street during peak rush hour

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
invader said:

by the way,diesel engines are burn more efficiently than gas engines, perhaps you have heard of the fuel economy advantages of the TDI???:confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Engine#Advantages_and_disadvantages_versus_spark-ignition_engines

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
How about just look at your previous registration to see what it says? Mine shows a "D" listed for "MP" (just to the right of Body Style). I assuming that the D is for diesel and the MP means method of power.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
His point was that the emission controls on the pre 2007 TDI's are not intended for controlling smoke.

Second the CAT one PRE 2007 TDI's HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOX, it is an oxidation catalyst.

Certainly NOX would go up if the EGR was removed or disabled, but would the increase in NOX be worth the aggravation of cleaning the intake manifolds every couple of years.

I have a hard time believing that venting the crank case to atmosphere as opposed to burning the fumes would have any real effect at all.

And while I understand your point about removing emission controls, I have my doubts as to their effectiveness as it is (for the pre 2007 cars), that is diesels don't produce much CO or HC (other than soot which the cat doesn't control) as it is, would their be appreciable more made without the TDI CAT.

"removing them is just plain wrong."

As to the above point, before you label someone's behavior as wrong, maybe you should think about your own. You pre 2007 TDI is going to put out a hell of allot more pollution per mile than a 2009, or a prius or a whole list of cars, maybe you should recycle it and buy one of those.

bluesmoker said:
the simple reality is that removing the factory pollution controls increases smog etc, quite frankly that is why they were put on your car in the first place.

I support performance mods that work with the factory emission controls, removing them is just plain wrong.

If you think installing a cat delete exhaust is so wonderful move to bejing china, those people cant even see across the street during peak rush hour

Last edited:

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
bluesmoker said:

I never said that removing/disabling factory emission controls would not increase emissions. I simply said that it will not cause more SMOKE, (in most cases). Yes, your car will put out more Nox and Co and some other gasses that are harmful without the Emission controls. But you were talking about smoke. My car smokes less without the cat because there is more air to burn up the fuel.

Black smoke is basically a rich mixture. Not enough air and to much fuel.
Having emission controls will not eliminate such conditions if it is because of performance mods. (chipping, bigger injectors).

As far as efficiency, I was not talking about overall fuel economy. Anyone on here knows that diesels get better fuel economy than gassers.

I was referring to the burn efficiency in the chamber. Diesels tend to not burn all of the fuel in the chamber throwing unburnt fuel out the exhaust. That is where the smoke comes from. Gassers burn most of the fuel up before exhausting from the chamber. Diesels get better mileage because with the higher compression ratios, the over all fuel usage is less.

Last edited:

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
MarsBar, wow you sure are right. I just looked at my past 4 years' registration slips,
and each one says "MP" "G".

I would almost never have guessed the meaning of those abbreviations.

Now, I need to find my Title and see whether I need to get it re-issued/changed.

I think the VW dealer made a mistake after I bought the car (new / late 2001). They sold me a warranty,
that was canceled a year or two later (and refunded), since they eventually realized that I had a diesel vehicle
(a type which wasn't covered). And it took a few months before I received the Title (and license plates) as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! Larry.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
12MPGHWY said:
His point was that the emission controls on the pre 2007 TDI's are not intended for controlling smoke.

Second the CAT one PRE 2007 TDI's HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NOX, it is an oxidation catalyst.

Certainly NOX would go up if the EGR was removed or disabled, but would the increase in NOX be worth the aggravation of cleaning the intake manifolds every couple of years.

I have a hard time believing that venting the crank case to atmosphere as opposed to burning the fumes would have any real effect at all.

And while I understand your point about removing emission controls, I have my doubts as to their effectiveness as it is (for the pre 2007 cars), that is diesels don't produce much CO or HC (other than soot which the cat doesn't control) as it is, would their be appreciable more made without the TDI CAT.

"removing them is just plain wrong."

As to the above point, before you label someone's behavior as wrong, maybe you should think about your own. You pre 2007 TDI is going to put out a hell of allot more pollution per mile than a 2009, or a prius or a whole list of cars, maybe you should recycle it and buy one of those.
Sometimes when I read these posts I think I am talking to the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY. Venting the CCV to the atomosphere is brutal for the environment; even during the days of leaded gas (1960's) they were standard equipment on almost every vehicle. The removal of the PCV spews crankcase mist (fuel mist, blow by ****e etc) directly into the air. This toxic soup of hydrocarbons etc leads to the formation of PAN. Its a really big word so for all of you FLAT EARTH PEOPLE say it slowly, trust me you will be ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxyacyl_nitrates

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
Bluesmoker (ironic name!),

Tell me this, are you pleased with the newer light duty trucks and their smog controls driving them into nearly single digit fuel economy numbers (Newer F250/350, duramax, etc)? Is that a move in the right direction in your eyes?

I agree the environment is important. Is eating 2x the fuel so a diesel truck doesn't smoke a step in the right direction? I don't think so.

VW doesn't seem to have taken as big a hit with the new Jetta. German engineering at it's finest I guess. I do wonder what it'd be capable of if it wasn't laden with the DPF etc though, not that I'd do it.

I do have an EGR delete on my car right now as it was polluting by way of dripping on the ground and a second hand racepipe was way cheaper than another EGR valve. I do live where a smog check is a yearly thing. This will not effect the emissions they measure (opacity). It may fail a visual check. Am I a gross polluter over my failing EGR valve which passed the smog inpection? I doubt it.

Last edited:

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Why is it that you can't carry on conversation without attempting to insult anyone who has a different opinion.

So releasing aerosol HC's is bad for the environment (I never said it wasn't nor did I express an opinion that specific), but can you quantify how much of it gets released as blow by. What I doubt is that the quantity is sufficient to make any difference (this is my opinion).

I have mine connected to the stock location but through a catch can. The catch can collects a quart of oil every 10K or so miles, over which time I add exactly one quart. Where it vented without a catch can then it would get dripped onto the ground (which in itself is a nuisance), but very little additional HC would get released into the atmosphere.

bluesmoker said:
Sometimes when I read these posts I think I am talking to the FLAT EARTH SOCIETY. Venting the CCV to the atomosphere is brutal for the environment; even during the days of leaded gas (1960's) they were standard equipment on almost every vehicle. The removal of the PCV spews crankcase mist (fuel mist, blow by ****e etc) directly into the air. This toxic soup of hydrocarbons etc leads to the formation of PAN. Its a really big word so for all of you FLAT EARTH PEOPLE say it slowly, trust me you will be ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxyacyl_nitrates

Last edited:

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
12MPGHWY said:
Why is it that you can't carry on conversation without attempting to insult anyone who has a different opinion.

So releasing aerosol HC's is bad for the environment (I never said it wasn't nor did I express an opinion that specific), but can you quantify how much of it gets released as blow by. What I doubt is that the quantity is sufficient to make any difference (this is my opinion).

I have mine connected to the stock location but through a catch can. The catch can collects a quart of oil every 10K or so miles, over which time I add exactly one quart. Where it vented without a catch can then it would get dripped onto the ground (which in itself is a nuisance), but very little additional HC would get released into the atmosphere.
I find it both sad and comical to read how you justify polluting the air that we breathe. I can accept your arguement if your were pissing in your neighbour's pool( no one but you and your friends bathe in urine) but when you illegally (yes it is read the attached clean air act) pollute the air that we all breathe you set yourself up to be insulted.

I have no problem with mods that increase performance as long as the smog junk is attached. You clowns with the egr deletes, cat removal and ccv mods contribute greatly to smog whether you idignantly claim "not me" or not.

Put your car back in compliance with the federal law and let us all breathe, think about it

got a problem with me, send me a pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_Air_Act_(1990)

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I find it interesting that all of us are smelling the amount of soot that is being spewed..... ;-)

I do not think that name calling is within reason here. (clowns ?!?!)

The amount of pollutants that come out of a TDI without the EGR, CCV and catalytic converter, is STILL way less than an SUV suburban with all the so called emissions equipment on it.

SO if each person were alloted to spew X amount of pollutants.....which is the fair way to look at it, then: the TDI, with its fuel efficiency and lighter weight, would spew comparatively and relatively less pollutants than those large SUVs or hot rods. I do not have the quantitative comparisons, but the large SUVs gets a maximum of 15 mpg...so they use up more resources and fuel to accomplish what the TDI can with one gallon of fuel...or if you compare how much is spewed per mile.

BTW...I have a large SUV.... ;-)

Asking the TDI to do more in regards to the environment is kind of like asking the church choir or Mother Theresa not to watch a movie , but instead sing more hymns.

M Theresa and TDIs already do/did their fair share.....

IMHO, us TDI owners should get a tax credit, a plaque commending resource conservation, free use of carpool lanes, and a get out of jail for free card . :-D

just my 2 cents. but I am biased..... :)

Last edited: