Going on Three Months and 15,000 Miles

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
Time for an update on the 2015 A3 TDI, with plenty of time to do it. Thanks to the near-blizzard I’m not going anywhere for a couple of days or I’d have hit the 15K mile mark already.

The car continues to run flawlessly except for the some of the functions controlled by the Audi MMI app on my Android smartphone. More on that below.

Now that the weather is cold I’m quite impressed by how quickly the car starts and warms up the interior. The coldest driving so far was the day before the storm when I went out for a couple of local errands. The ambient temperature was in the teens. The TDI started right up and the heated seats (gotta love those heated seats) provided warmth in under a minute and there was warm air coming out of the vents within a block. The whole errand was about a two-mile drive roundtrip. I don’t think I even hit 30 mph and the engine temp gauge never moved off cold but the heat was coming up and already making a noticeable difference. It wasn’t exactly toasty inside but given a bit more time it would have been.

Fuel economy, hand calculated at each fill up, seems to have settled down into the high 30s – low 40s cruising around 75-80 mph. Hopefully it will go up in the summer when the winter blend fuel goes away. And, oh yes, the car’s computer MPG estimates seem to be only very loosely tethered to reality. They can be anywhere from 3 to 6 MPG or more optimistic. The only consistency in the readings is that they are too high; by how much is always bit of a surprise.

The MMI app is another story, but I learned a trick or two in the last 10,000 miles, particularly in regard to internet radio streaming. First I should say that having the WiFi hotspot in the car enables the logical next step in the evolution of audio entertainment, once the bugs get fixed. In contrast to Bluetooth streaming, which is controlled by an app on your smartphone, the A3 can use the MMI to give you a selection of internet radio stations to choose from. That means you don’t have to have an assistant or pull off the road or whatever to change stations, you can do it right through the MMI. When it works.

There are a couple of problems with the MMI app on my Android. The most annoying is that when my phone has already been connected to WiFi, like at home or in a restaurant, it’s reluctant to connect to the internet radio streaming even though it is connected to the Audi WiFi. That is, I can surf the web, or use the Bluetooth streaming, but the MMI streaming says “Not connected” and refuses to function. The workaround is to reboot the phone by powering it down and back up again. An annoying inconvenience to say the least, but at least it works, for me. You can get a huge variety of stations from all over the world (Polish polkas? Straight from Warsaw! Chinese classical? You’ve got it!) but some of them, including any of my Boston favorites, don’t come through well at all. I hate having dead spots every couple of seconds in the middle of my music, and I’m guessing that the MMI app’s buffering isn’t large enough, even though I have it set to maximum. This isn’t a problem when I am driving locally as I just get them on FM radio, but it’s a pain when I’m on the road somewhere out of range. The workaround is to use your favorite radio streaming app and run your station through the Bluetooth. Works fine, but then you’re back to aforementioned Bluetooth limitations.

All in all I am still quite happy with the car, happy enough to be patient while Audi works the bugs out of the MMI app and add some new features that even my Jetta’s Car-Net app had. We’ll see how is goes for the next 10,000 miles.

langer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 a3 & '07 gasser gti
I feel like the heated seats in my 2012 don't do squat. My 2007 gti seats cook my rear on the hottest setting. The a3's don't even compare.

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Now that the weather is cold I’m quite impressed by how quickly the car starts and warms up the interior. The coldest driving so far was the day before the storm when I went out for a couple of local errands. The ambient temperature was in the teens. The TDI started right up and the heated seats (gotta love those heated seats) provided warmth in under a minute and there was warm air coming out of the vents within a block. The whole errand was about a two-mile drive roundtrip. I don’t think I even hit 30 mph and the engine temp gauge never moved off cold but the heat was coming up and already making a noticeable difference. It wasn’t exactly toasty inside but given a bit more time it would have been.
Couldnt agree more. I go to work at 4:45 each day. Its been -1, and the car is blowing warm air inside of a mile. The aux heater is terrific and seems, at least according to the computer... mine is consistently around 3 MPG optimistic too, to use next to no fuel, assuming that its the displayed as 'air conditioning'. The only cold weather knock I have is that the DSG is a bit on the recalcitrant side at those temps when first getting under way. So far I'm at 36 MPG, but 2K miles so hopefully in a few more K I'll be seeing you levels.
...That is, I can surf the web, or use the Bluetooth streaming, but the MMI streaming says “Not connected” and refuses to function. The workaround is to reboot the phone by powering it down and back up again.
I was speaking to a friend of mine who is one of the official Audi photographers. On this subject, he told me that if you're using the wifi or plugging in via the interface, you should turn off the in car BlueTooth steaming function. I haven't bothered to try this yet as I generally just listen to radio, but I thought I'd mention it to see if it helps your situation.

ChinaBob

TDI
2016 BMW 328d x-drive; 2015 Audi A3 TDi
... if you're using the wifi or plugging in via the interface, you should turn off the in car BlueTooth steaming function.
Interesting. I didn't get a chance to try this out to cure the phone-not-linking-up properly problem because it's been behaving itself recently, but I did play around with it a bit to see if it had any effect on the Boston stations that were playing poorly through the MMI app. The problem was that they would link up and play OK for a minute or so, but then start skipping, or having dead spots at regular intervals of about 2 seconds, and one station will almost never link up. (I have to stress that the other stations that I listen to don't have this problem.)

Caveat: all this testing was done with my Republic Wireless Moto X 2nd generation phone, which is a bit different animal: it has a firmware change that makes and takes calls through the internet when WiFi is available, going to the Sprint network only when there's no WiFi. Since it's always on WiFi in the Audi, these results may not be true for a more conventional phone.

The short answer is that messing with the Bluetooth did have an effect on internet radio streaming in a couple of instances, but in surprising ways. The first was when I disconnected audio streaming in the MMI, leaving the other functions alone. Doing that made reception of internet radio much worse, unlistenable as a matter of fact. In the second instance I deleted the Bluetooth pairing completely on the MMI side: no audio, no phone, etc. Reception for the two Boston stations improved dramatically and the skipping went away, though the station that would not link before still didn't link. Of course, the problem is that you don't have your phone on Bluetooth anymore, which was the whole point of putting it in cars in the first place. I tried several other combinations turning Bluetooth on and off in my phone and the car but there were no changes.

So, very contradictory results: turn Bluetooth audio streaming off and things get worse; delete the Bluetooth pairing altogether and internet radio streaming gets better. Somewhere there's somebody who understands what's going on but they're holed up in a secure room somewhere in Inglostat and they're not talking.

Last edited: