Brake Lights stay on

seajab

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Silver
I have a 2003 Jetta TDI. Few days ago the check engine light came on. Yesterday my wife called me and said the brake lights were staying on even after she turned the car off.

When I got home they sure enough stayed on. I pumped the brakes, turned the headlights on and off, start and restart, all to no avail. I then disconnected the battery and then reconnected. Brake lights are now off. I started the car and pressed the brake. Brake lights stay on. I disconnected the battery again and this time just left the car alone and after about 5-10 minutes the brake lights were on again.

So, I tried taking out the fuse for the brake lights. They again stayed off for awhile then came back on.

What is going on? Anyone have any ideas? Or things to try?

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
There was a recall to replace the light switch. Check with VWoA and see if your VIN falls within the range of the recall.

seajab

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Silver
The recall on the brake light switch is only up to 2001 models. I called and found out about it.

So it sounds like maybe I should switch my brake light switch. Where is it located and is this an easy job. If I do it myself I need ot be able to get it done quickly. Anyone have any pointers.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
there is a how to article up at the top of the page,10 minute job,and most of that is removing the cover under the dash

seajab

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Silver
I replaced the brake light switch. Very easy job.

One question, the check engine light is still on could this be related to the brake light switch malfunction and does it need to be reset using a vag com unit or taking it to the dealer?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I just replaced my brake light switch and brake light still on.

treyca

Veteran Member
Probably a short in the brake light wire harness, look were the brake light wire leads through the firewall.