Vw touran 2.0 ( 2004-5 ) model 8 faults

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
Hi , newbie here !!!

engine warning light comes on for some days and then goes off ?
car performs just the same as it always has,with no problems.
Failed the MOT control due to the engine light and the horn ( doesn't work )

Have had a diagnosis and came back with 8 fault codes !

can this be a simple fuse or connection fault or will all faults need to fixed ( would probably cost more than the car is worth )

also can i fix the horn myself ?

Any help would be very much appreciated !

itchy scratchy :confused:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Can you post the fault codes/DTC's? I don't understand your first sentence. I assume you have a check engine light (CEL), but then again does it go OFF by itself? That would be a new one on me.

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
Hi , thanks for the reply !

The engine warning light comes on every so often , sometimes for a day , sometimes for a couple of days , some times it does not come on for a day or two ???
The car perfoms as normal

Here are the codes 17055,17056,17057,17058 ( 1,2,3,4 glowplugs)
18359 cooling fan 2
16955 cruise control
19559 intake manifold flap (i think)
also has code 18104 CAN which i've been told is an old fault which has been fixed ?

oh and the horn that doesn't work ! hoping it is a wiring fault/ fuse or conntact , as it starts perfectly in the morning allthough after a little run, it takes a little lond´ger to turn over ! but the performance is just the same

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
4 codes for the glow plugs could be from someone turning on the ignition key while the glow plug harness was unplugged. I doubt you have 4 bad plugs. You should clear the codes and see if any of those come back. You can check the condition of the plugs with a digital multimeter to confirm or rule out a bad plug.

18359 - This code indicates the cooling fan is jammed/not spinning. I have seen many that get siezed, especially if there is a lot of road salt used in colder climates. The fan might need changing. They are about $100 for a replacement and can be changed in about 20 minutes with the right tools. I have never worked on a Touran before, but on the Golfs/Jettas, they are held on with 3 x T20 torx screws.

16955 - This code is for the brake switch. It could be a faulty switch, a bad bulb, or the wrong bulb.

19559 - Intake Manifold flap - open circuit/short to ground. Check the wiring to the intake manifold flap. It could be something as simple and the wire rubbing against something and breaking. I have seen it on many ALH engines.

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
Can you post the fault codes/DTC's? I don't understand your first sentence. I assume you have a check engine light (CEL), but then again does it go OFF by itself? That would be a new one on me.
Hi wingnut !
Many thanks for all the info, very helpfull indeed. I think you could be right about the brake light bulb as i have changed one recently and it was just an odd one i had in the gagrage, maybe the wrong voltage or ampage or whatever ! will check it out. I also was told you can reset the warning light if you dissconnect the battery and wait for a minute, i did this and all hell broke loose !! i had airbag light on aswell as the esp traction light but thankfully they dissapeared.Just wonder if this has something to do with the glowplugs ???
i have seen your thread about the glowplugs ( very nice i may add ) this was the reason i joined actually, so will follow that guide and check the gplugs. Can you tell me where the fuse for the horn is ? and also where should i look for the inlet manifold flap wire you metioined ? also how can i turn the engine warning lighjt off ? do i have to go back to a garage to have it turned off ? if so how long will it stay off for ? hopefully long enough for it to pass the MOT :)
THANKS AGAIN WINGNUT- YOU ARE A TROPHY !!!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
If you plan on keeping your car, I highly recommend a product called VCDS. It is a software and cable that you can connect to your car to diagnose problems and check/clear codes. You can even get it in Swedish - www.vag-com.se. But if you are good with english, and by reading your posts, you are very good, then you can save money and buy one from the US in english. The Swedish one is 3935 SEK ($595 USD). But, you can buy a used one for 2645 SEK ($400 USD). The english one comes in a cheaper version (micro can instead of the Hex can) and can be bought for $250 USD+ shipping.

It will save you lots of money if you don't have to take your car to a mechanic. Most things that cause the light to come on can be diagnosed and repaired by yourself with instructions from this site or others once you have the information (codes). So finding the codes is the key.

Last edited:

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
ok i understand it will be very handy to have one of these, i have seen some on ebay which are very very cheap, just a interface cable with a usb connection and a cd, do these work ? or is it a case of buy cheap buy twice !

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
Have you an address or webpage where i can buy one ( that will work ) and is the least expensive !!!

crab's arse !!!

touranjohn

TDI
touran 2.0
Just a quick update on my headache !
after sound advice from ' wingnut ' top man !!!!

I ended up buying a / cheaper option VAG com 405 , worked a treat and was extremely easy to use even for an idiot like myself. I erased all the codes and only the IMF one came back, no glow plugs or cooling fan etc !! just the IMF, checked the wiring from the connector to as far back as i could but all was good. Just a point - it looks like the wiring loom has a very nasty right angled bend straight from out of the connector plug, so if any wires are to snap or be rubbing anywhere, it's probably at this point .Be sure to take the protective outer sleeve off to check the whole loom.

Decided to take the IMF off and have a look ! Not a big job just 3 x 5mm allen key bolts, the one at the back ( dipstick side ) is a little akward but reachable. BE CAREFUL when removing the front one not to drop it down the pipe !!! Like me.
This is not a problem if you do, just means you will have to unclip the bottom part of the pipe ( if you can't reach it with a magnet. Once off , noticed the shutter flap was seized in open postion, decided to take the motor cover off and investigate, with the cover removed , i could instantly see there were 2 teeth missing and the small gear cog had jammed ! Ok new one needed, ordered one from worldcarparts £149 + £22 for 3 day ups delivery. Fitted new one and FITTED F8 ( 10amp fuse for both cooling fan and IMF ) and bish bosh, warning light out ! no error codes or shuddering when turning off ignition.
As for the horn, got a secondhand passat one for a £5 and works a treat

Thanks again for all the help and info - especially WINGNUT

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I recently replaced the intake manifold flap on my Golf. The gear teeth were broken and it looked as though some soot had migrated into the gear housing which clogged the gears. Glad you got it fixed. I was afraid that the faulty horn and the air bag light could be caused by a faulty clock spring.