Going for a Malone Stage 2+ tune tomorrow at DCB auto!

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
Hi there,
Just thought I'd share this... I did a bit of research and primarily because of Mark's PM and informative web site and good customer service by both Mark (Malone, of Malone tuning) and Brandon at DCB i figured i'd go with them. Also their stage 2+ tune (a custom tune that requires some VCDS loging has showing - on his website at least - to yield up to 50+hp...though I feel that's at the crank not wheel HP).

anyways, i'll report back with impressions/service, etc.

Thanks!
Matt.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Make sure Brandon offers you a cappuccino :)

Hell, I just like dropping by and shooting the sh!t with him. Great guy for sure.

That reminds me, I need some vacuum tubing.

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
Hey there! Hey TDImaxima yeah that was me "security" I believe you mentioned lol.

So i got the tune! It took a few hours as I was told it would, great customer service!

After the reading of the stored data, Brandon then emailed it to mark, a few hours later we recieved a tune. With the initial tune we found out that I had some boost creep up to 19psi...and under 18 seems to be the safe limit... We when received a 2nd tune from mark with the same amount of boost but less fuel and that managed to control the boost creep.

Brandon also checked my MAF for me and did that little VCDS trick to allow me to control the windows via the remote at no cost. He also informed me that the dealership/last owner may not have completed the 64K service...soemthing I'll take up with the dealer -but being new to these cars I had no idea!

My car is quite a bit faster! The power is gradual which results in MUCH better driveabilty (less shifting or having to floor it to pass someone) and I learned quite a bit from both emailing mark and speaking with Brandon.

I would highly recomend both Brandon's shop and Malone (Mark Malone) tuning.

VDUB TECH

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI , Audi TT TDI Q , 2013 Touareg TDI , 2006 Jetta TDI
Matt you can stop by i have another file for you with a little more power :p as there is still some n75 duty cycle left to play with.

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
ah! Brandon was busy today - so i'll be going on friday! But i can tell you Malone really does do a great job - the power delievery is smooth and the car seems to be smoother through the rev range both on and off the boost - is this possible. I do know drivability is sooo much better.

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
ok i'm back with the 'final' tune - I really appreciate the work Brandon and Malone Tuning put into it in order to get the most safe power...

The car is a completley different animal...From 1-100kph it's very fast, and cruising up to 150kph is effortless. I highly recomend them!

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
mattds said:
ok i'm back with the 'final' tune - I really appreciate the work Brandon and Malone Tuning put into it in order to get the most safe power...

The car is a completley different animal...From 1-100kph it's very fast, and cruising up to 150kph is effortless. I highly recomend them!
What was the damage $$$?

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
I got to admit, driving a non-tuned TDI is something I cannot ever do again thanks to Mark ;)

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
The stage 2 custom is $450 on mark's site and brandon charges are very resaonsable $50 for the support/downloading/uplaoding/adjusting and everything else! lol As you can see from the thread he even recieved a tune with a bit more boost and called me back the next day to install it in my car!

Liav

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
Hey Matt, I remember seeing you there when I made my appointment.

It ended up being my turbo that was a problem so Brandon did an awesome job fixing it for me.

I am also planning on getting my car tuned but I want to get my car dyno'd before I go so I know how much power I have before and after. The only problem now is finding someone who will dyno my car...

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
Liav said:
Hey Matt, I remember seeing you there when I made my appointment.

It ended up being my turbo that was a problem so Brandon did an awesome job fixing it for me.

I am also planning on getting my car tuned but I want to get my car dyno'd before I go so I know how much power I have before and after. The only problem now is finding someone who will dyno my car...
Diesel Doctors in Georgetown. Many members cars have been on that dyno :D

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
He Liav - was yours the grey jetta with the bad turbo? what specifically was wrong with it? Is your milage any better now? I still can't get over 800km, but i drive 100% city and always under 20km...

I thought of doing the dyno, but I didn't want to spend the added money - let me know how much the dyno run costs...

Liav

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS
Yeah dude, got the turbo cleaned and now the car is running much better. I don't get smoke even when I am close to 3,000 Rpms.

Actually I would enjoy 800 km per tank (city) but I didn't check the milage yet because I am yet to fill my tank (soon) and I will update.

I will also check prices and let you know with directions for the dyno.

Brandon what's the best tune to get? What are the differences in prices from stage 1 and 2, etc.

Would it be possible to know how much power each tune gives?

Apart from a ventectomy and Veg injection .216 nozzles there's nothing else done.

My car is auto transmission ALH 2001 (MK4), are there any other little mods I can do for not a huge amount which will help with power and/or fuel efficiency?

Sorry for all the Qs.

mattds said:
He Liav - was yours the grey jetta with the bad turbo? what specifically was wrong with it? Is your milage any better now? I still can't get over 800km, but i drive 100% city and always under 20km...

I thought of doing the dyno, but I didn't want to spend the added money - let me know how much the dyno run costs...

mattds

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
Just a quick update, I'm still liking this tune. Although I'm not in the habit of doing this last night my GF was driving her mothers 2003-2007 V6 honda Accord (240hp, 212lbs/ft) and off the line, she pull ahead for about 1 sec...then i was able to keep up catch up to her, then keep up with her until about 80kph... (then my responsible side took over and realized I was over the speed limit!). I also had about 400lbs of passengers and a full tank to her 120lbs and half a tank...

Not bad at all for a stock tdi with only the malone tune!

Friar

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5spd
Malone Tune - woo-hoo!

I gotta agree with you folks. I just got my Stage II tune a little over a week ago and my jetta is now a JETTA. My fuel consumption seems to be the same (maybe slightly lower but then i had ta do some playing, :D hehe) as well.

Next upgrade later this year a SPEC Stage II clutch!!! :rolleyes:
Brandon is ACES, he knows his stuff and will share his insights I can highly recommend him and DCB Auto!! :)

Alan / Friar