NEW Diesel in Germany, which increases POWER !

TDI_1Z_125hp

TDI
Golf III TDI 1994 blue metallic
Hi everybody !
We just got new Diesel in Germany called "Ultimate Diesel", produced by "Aral" and "VPower Diesel" by Shell. I tried out the Aral One and I honestly can feel a difference to the "normal" Diesel. The new Diesel has a higher amount of "Cetan" (60 normal Diesel has about 51 to 55max), which lets the engine run smoother and it feels as if the engine also reacts faster and with more power. It also keeps the injectors clean . Anyways the car doesn`t smoke anymore

The funny thing is that it looks like water and dooesn`t smell like diesel anymore

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Hi everybody ! We just got new Diesel in Germany called "Ultimate Diesel (snip) The new Diesel has a higher amount of "Cetan" (60 normal Diesel has about 51 to 55max)(snip)
__. You're so lucky there in Germany. Here in the US, the legal baseline is 40 Cetane -- we usually get 42 or so cetane unless we pay more for "Premium" and then it's usually only about 50. Our VW engines are "de-tuned" to allow them to run on this stuff.
'

zinkengruven

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL 2003 Indigo Blue
We just got new Diesel in Germany called "Ultimate Diesel", produced by "Aral" and "VPower Diesel" by Shell
I hate you, ha... just kidding. Lucky, maybe in another 5 to 10 years we'll see such a thing in North America.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
That quality of diesel fuel would certainly clean up the shameful smoke stacks of many heavy construction trucks around here that run on 40-42 cetane fuel.

dubburke

Veteran Member
TDI
seat toledo tdi 1996 white
We also have this fuel in N.Ireland from B.P it is also called ultimate diesel, the only problem is it costs 6 pence per litre more, and is it really worth it? maybe its just a gimmick!

Steve York UK

Veteran Member
TDI
SEAT Ibiza Sport 130hp TDI Black
In the UK we have Shell Extra which is synthetic diesel made by the Fischer-Tropff process from natural gas (known for short as GTL (gas to liquid)). It is being test marketed all over the north of England and costs the same as other diesel. Cetane is around 60 and the fuel is colourless. Sulphur content is zero.
Performance is good.
The BP stuff is not synthetic and is just a marketing ploy.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
I think it might be GTL (high cetane, zero sulfur) - gas-to-liquid synthetic diesel (natural gas).

Some guys from Britian were talking about it around here recently - claiming their oil didnt even go black after 10kmi of driving - hows that for reduced soot!

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
Funny, look at this:

http://www.free-definition.com/Cetane.html

Cetane or CN is to diesel fuel what octane is to gasoline. It is a measure of the fuel's combustion quality.
Cetane is actually an alkane, its real name is 1-hexadecane. It is written as C16H34, or a chain of 16 carbon atoms with 34 hydrogen atoms attached. All HC chains are also referred to as paraffins. Cetane is a hydrocarbon molecule that ignites very easily under compression, so it was assigned a rating of 100. All the hydrocarbons in diesel fuel are indexed to cetane as to how well they ignite under compression.

So, the cetane number measures how quickly the fuel starts to burn (auto-ignites) under diesel engine conditions. Since there are hundreds of components in diesel fuel, with each having a different cetane quality, the overall cetane number of the diesel is the average cetane quality of all the components.

Cetane number is a measure of how readily the fuel burns. A fuel with a high cetane number starts to burn shortly after it is injected into the cylinder; it has a short ignition delay period. Conversely, a fuel with a low cetane number resists auto-ignition and has a longer ignition delay period.

There is very little actual cetane in diesel fuel. Diesel engines run just fine with a CN between 45 to 50. There is no performance or emission advantage to keep raising the CN past 50. After that point the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. Premium diesel has additives to improve CN & lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersant, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.

Im not sure I buy the stuff in bold.

saGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Alaska Green ESP [sold] 2012 Chevrolet Volt
Its possible I'm missing something, but... As nearly as I understand, cetane is not significantly related to energy content, but only to autoignition tendencies. Therefore, the engine design becomes paramount: the timing set into the computer determines the amount of ignition delay the car assume and provides for during injection. There is therefore an ideal cetane rating for maximum power for every engine program. According to the owner's manual, for my [US Spec] Jetta, it's 49. What I would expect therefore with markedly higher numbers is a tendency toward advanced injection symptoms [harsh viberations, higher NOx, lower HC,] possibly tapering toward normal with maybe improved power at the extreme top of the rev band, where the normal delay is no longer compatible with the geometry of motion. Of course, more common here in the US is the opposite, lower than designed cetane. This, of course, results in more smoke and higher EGTs. I guess the point of this rant was that for any car there is an ideal cetane number, and without adjusting the program going to higher numbers shouldn't help any.
Walter

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
Good points saGhost, although I'd say it WOULD help, at least as much as a slight advancement in timing, as some have done to their cars with vagcom.

I certainly think there is a possibility of improved performance. Note the Shell stuff appears to be selling on both improved cetane AND detergency.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Funny, look at this:

http://www.free-definition.com/Cetane.html

Cetane or CN is to diesel fuel what octane is to gasoline. It is a measure of the fuel's combustion quality.
Cetane is actually an alkane, its real name is 1-hexadecane. It is written as C16H34, or a chain of 16 carbon atoms with 34 hydrogen atoms attached. All HC chains are also referred to as paraffins. Cetane is a hydrocarbon molecule that ignites very easily under compression, so it was assigned a rating of 100. All the hydrocarbons in diesel fuel are indexed to cetane as to how well they ignite under compression.

So, the cetane number measures how quickly the fuel starts to burn (auto-ignites) under diesel engine conditions. Since there are hundreds of components in diesel fuel, with each having a different cetane quality, the overall cetane number of the diesel is the average cetane quality of all the components.

Cetane number is a measure of how readily the fuel burns. A fuel with a high cetane number starts to burn shortly after it is injected into the cylinder; it has a short ignition delay period. Conversely, a fuel with a low cetane number resists auto-ignition and has a longer ignition delay period.

There is very little actual cetane in diesel fuel. Diesel engines run just fine with a CN between 45 to 50. There is no performance or emission advantage to keep raising the CN past 50. After that point the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. Premium diesel has additives to improve CN & lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersant, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.
Im not sure I buy the stuff in bold.

After reading the free-definition.com/cetane definition and RogueTDI’s comments about the lines in bold, I think a few things need to be explained here.

I wrote that article back in March of 1999. The original article was one of several I posted on a Mercedes Benz email list. From there it was cross posted to several other lists including a VW IDI email list, and several diesel pick-up truck lists. Parts of this article have been posted on a few websites and everyone seems to edit and add to it as they please, including www.free-definition.com. One article made it to the Turbo-Diesel Register. The editor of the TDR actually paid me for it. So technically I’m a professional writer! There is no copyright on this stuff so in a way I’m proud it was written well enough that it is still being read, although in constantly altered form.

The original context was to be just technical enough to get the points across and not bore and lose the non-technical readers. The technical fundamentals are still correct but some of the information is a bit dated now. Back in 1999 there were such things as diesel fuel with high cetane numbers in the 50 to 60 range. However, these were experimental fuels that only existed in fuel testing labs and not available to the public. Fast-forward five years and we are in a whole different world now. So by today’s standards, I am in complete agreement with RogueTDI’s statement. When viewed in the context of today’s high tech engines and fuels, the bold text is incorrect. New diesel engine technology CAN take advantage of very high cetane fuels. And with that I have to add that it is going to take a few years for this high cetane diesel fuel to be widely available. So now you have some bold text that is correct.

You can read the articles I wrote at:

http://www.mercedesmailinglist.com/

Click the archives page and type cetane in the search engine. Here is a direct link to the archives page. All the articles I wrote about diesel fuel and cetane were written in 1999.

http://www.mercedes.cx/archives/

Here is the original unedited article as I posted it on March 31, 1999. Do not use the email address in the article to contact me, it is invalid. Use the email address in my profile here at TDIClub.com.

Premium Diesel (long)

(Brian.P.Kmetz@ucm.com)
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 13:56:13 -060

Now we have a thread that I can talk about! Part of my job is to extract the BTUs through oxidation (burn) from mass quantities of methane and fuel oils so I have a clue how some of this stuff works.

In the USA, all diesel fuel must meet the specifications set forth by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM). In Canada it is the Canadian General Standards Board. They have web pages at www.astm.org and www.pwgsc.gc.ca. One can order documents for a fee. Diesel fuels are covered in documents ASTM D-975 and CGSB 3.6-M90 and 3.517-93. Their documents cannot be previewed. The CGSB lists the ASTM as a reference, they are that close. All the specifications for cetane, pour points, viscosity, flash point, BTU content, etc.,etc., are in these documents.

The most common question, Cetane? What is cetane? Cetane is to diesel fuel what octane is to gasoline. It is a measure of the fuel's ignition quality and performance. Cetane is actually a hydrocarbon chain, its' real name is 1-hexadecane. It is written as C16H34, or a chain of 16 carbon atoms with 34 hydrogen atoms attached. All HC chains are also referred to as paraffin's. Cetane is a hydrocarbon molecule that ignites very easily under compression, so it was assigned a rating of 100. All the hydrocarbons in diesel fuel are indexed to cetane as to how well they ignite under compression. There is very little actual cetane in diesel fuel.

All the hydrocarbons in diesel fuel have similar ignition characteristics as cetane. Cetane is abbreviated as CN. A very loose way to think about cetane is if the fuel has a CN of 45, then the fuel will ignite 45% as well as 100% cetane. Diesel engines run just fine with a CN between 45 to 50. There is no performance or emission advantage to keep raising the CN past 50. After that point the fuel's performance hits a plateau. Diesel at the pump can be found in two CN ranges: 40-46 for regular diesel, and 45-50 for premium. The minimum CN at the pump is 'suppose' to be 45. The legal minimum cetane rating for #1 and #2 diesel is 40. Most diesel fuel leaves the refinery with a CN of around 42. The CN rating depends on the crude oil the fuel was refined from. It varies so much from tanker to tanker that a consistent CN rating is almost impossible. Distilling diesel is a crude process compared with making gasoline. Gasoline is more of a manufactured product with tighter standards so the octane rating is very consistent. So the CN rating at the pump can be anywhere from 42-46. That's why there is almost never a sticker on a diesel fuel pump for CN.

Premium diesel has additives to improve CN & lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersant, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs. More biocides added in the south in summer, more anti-jell added in the north in winter. Most retailers who sell premium diesel will have little brochures called POPs (Point of Purchase) at the counter explaining what's in their fuel. Please don't ask the poor clerk behind the counter any technical questions after reading this post, all they know how to do is sell you beer, milk, cigarettes, lottery tickets, and take your money.

Texaco and Amoco are two big names who sell premium diesel in limited markets. Amoco mostly sells its Premier to specialized industrial and agricultural markets. I cannot get either in my area. Most fuel retailers buy additives or buy treated fuel. In the northern plain states, Koch is a well known marketer of premium diesel. I buy it when I travel into northern Wisconsin. Because there are no legal standards for premium diesel yet, it is very hard to know if you are buying the good stuff. I have good news. An ASTM task force has drafted standards for premium diesel. When the new specifications are accepted, information will have to be posted on the fuel pump. Retailers will no longer be allowed to label cheap blended diesel as 'premium'. They will have separate pumps with clear labels on both informing the customer what in being sold. The marketing and labeling will the same as with regular and premium gasoline. Retailers selling the real thing use this system now. Enforcement of all fuel standards is done on the state level in the USA.

Diesel fuel is an international commodity for industry with no brand name recognition. Because of this it's made as cheap as possible and is transported through most of North America by pipeline. At the area terminal you will see tankers with every oil company logo ever imagined all filling up with the same fuel. So don't get too picky about where you fill up. Shop for price from a large volume retailer so you have the freshest fuel. That's about the best advice I can give. The reformulation of diesel fuel in North America is due an international effort for lower emissions. Cleaner diesel emission laws are on the way. Diesel fuel is going to be reformulated into a cleaner fuel in general. Without getting too technical (this is very simplified and over generalized), diesel fuel for the most part is made up of two different hydrocarbon families: paraffin's and aromatics. The paraffin's have a naturally high cetane index, burn clean, but cause that annoying jell problem in winter. The aromatics have a naturally high lubricity, low cetane index, and cause a lot of diesel emissions and soot. Reformulated diesel will have a higher paraffin content, higher cetane number, and a much lower aromatic and sulfur content. It will also be more prone to jelling and have a lower lubricity. Big oil is working on improved additives as I type this.

The reason nothing has happened yet is because of infighting in the EPA on its new Tier II Emissions standards for gasoline and diesel. Ultra-clean technology for gasoline and diesel engines is almost ready to go but the refiners have to lower the sulfur level drastically in both fuels. Something should be formally set by the EPA by year 2000, with oil and auto industries whining and slowly complying shortly after.

When I learn more, I'll post more.

Brian Kmetz
brian.p.kmetz@ucm.com
MBCA Central Illinois
Chicago VW Org.
85 MB 300D-T
97 VW Passat TDI

MaxThrust

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta
Nice way to stop an argument dead in it's tracks, get the information straight from the guy who wrote the book. Because you were paid for that information, you are a professional. Now we have information straight from the professional who wrote the book.

All kidding aside, this is very good information written in such a way that even a computer geek like me can understand what cetane is all about. Thank you very much for posting and clarifying this issue.

YMMV

Mike

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
The reason nothing has happened yet is because of infighting in the EPA on its new Tier II Emissions standards for gasoline and diesel. Ultra-clean technology for gasoline and diesel engines is almost ready to go but the refiners have to lower the sulfur level drastically in both fuels. Something should be formally set by the EPA
endquote.

Are we talking about ULSD here?

I dont think that ULSD is equivalent to this Ultimate diesel, maybe a move in the right direction, but ULSD is still falling short, ??

But, it sounds like Clean Diesel is really possible.

Wonder if it'll ever come to North America?

There's lots a gas in Alaska that could be processed through GTL, and therefore become viable to transport, isn't there?

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The reason nothing has happened yet is because of infighting in the EPA on its new Tier II Emissions standards for gasoline and diesel. Ultra-clean technology for gasoline and diesel engines is almost ready to go but the refiners have to lower the sulfur level drastically in both fuels. Something should be formally set by the EPA
endquote.

I dont think that ULSD is equivalent to this Ultimate diesel, maybe a move in the right direction, but ULSD is still falling short, ??

But, it sounds like Clean Diesel is really possible.

Wonder if it'll ever come to North America?

There's lots a gas in Alaska that could be processed through GTL, and therefore become viable to transport, isn't there?
When I penned those words back in 1999 the specifications for ULSD for North America were not finalized yet. The only thing that was known at that time is that a spec was being developed.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I think that GTL diesel fuel won't be used much in North America, as our natural gas supply/demand takes up too much of it for heating and other uses. The newest processed diesel fuel that we'll see here in Illinois will be coming from a coal gassification plant set up for a fertilizer company. I don't know the specifics, but it operates along the lines of the GTL process and you end up with a diesel-type fuel with a cetane rating of around 65 to 75. This diesel fuel will actually be a byproduct of the process, and the company is making plans to sell the fuel to the CTA (Chicago public transit system) for use in their diesel fueled busses. The fuel has almost no sulfur from the process, and since there was a recent report about the horrible exhaust emissions in Cook county and surrounding areas Chicago Public Transit officials will probably be thrilled to buy this fuel to help them meet future emissions requirements.

I'm all for this because it might revive the coal mining industry in Illinois (and nationwide as well) and the United States also has an abundance of coal to use for fuel as well. This could be a long term solution that the United States could use to provide diesel fuel until we make the transition to something that is environmentally renewable and better.

I don't know the specific byproducts from this fuel process, so I hesitate to totally jump to support something. Has anyone else read about this in the news lately, and might know more about it?

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
South Africa has been making fuel from coal for many years, They have three plants Sasol one, tow and three, and a town, Sasolburg. There are lots of by-products from the process, 50+.
Back in the 90's South African gas and diesel by law had to be minimum 35% Sasol derived, probably more now.
makes you think,
hth

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
South Africa has been making fuel from coal for many years, They have three plants Sasol one, tow and three, and a town, Sasolburg. There are lots of by-products from the process, 50+.
Back in the 90's South African gas and diesel by law had to be minimum 35% Sasol derived, probably more now.
makes you think,
hth
Certainly Does..
whatya think george?? Might hurt your saudi connections feelings??

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

ULSD may or may not have a higher cetane number. And ULSD may or may not have the same BTU value as non-ULSD. ULSD just means the fuel is relatively "clean" -- doesn't mean it's any good.