TDI Rally Car

dextervw

I've posted this in the rally forum but I thought you mk3 buffs might get a kick out of my build.
how it all began: The test mule (circa 2009)

the previous incarnation towing the newly caged chassis home from Cagethis.com (2009ish)

The car really didn't receive much work for the first few years as I went through a divorce, 5 moves (one across country) and a bunch of other stuff.. but
Then I rebuilt the motor, a 1.9 TDI AHU with some fancy Nural Pistons and a sweet port and polished head and manifolds

Eventually it was time for a new roof

A raised shifter

And Paint!!

dextervw

Then some seat were installed

and some more engine building

and chassis prep/suspension install

dextervw

and more....

and finally the engine was installed in the chassis

and it was assembled as I could get it in a day

but because i was doing this (moving back to New England)

along the way this happened

which lead to this

and a long set back of $$, so i toiled away with this

dextervw

until i eventually dug the beastie out from hibernation for some of this

until my landlord called it a demo derby car and asked that I remove it before the neighbors complained... so off to a new home she went

and then a bunch of stuff happened :-D
I took the brakes off the car i bought for my GF to start racing in

I got a completely new cooling system

and started installing parts as they came

dextervw

I made some VW to Subie adapters

and bolted up some rocking wheels

and I continue to rock forwards as fast as I can being an hour and a quarter from my garage

dextervw

AND ITS ON THE ROAD!!!

So much time and effort and 5 to 6 years of building... its here and I can't stop smiling!!

I definitely will. The even was fantastic fun, the car was well planted and pretty well sorted.. that was till my last run when the camber plates and upper spring perches had a small disagreement which ended up snapping my strut.

No huge deal and I was happy to find it here instead of 2 miles into the first stage of a rally. A quick strut rebuild and some updates to the camber plates and we'll be back in business.

The other things I need to sort are:
Rear beam bushings
Slightly higher EGT's that I would like to see
Tires
Driver (still a little rusty.. but man did this car help with that. Finally something connected to my brain! )

More pics from the even coming as soon as they are published.

Please feel free to comment, ask, or offer parts or money for sponsorship (I have a huge blank canvas for your logo ;-) )

Hope it inspires some of you and I hope you guys can help me along with my quest for some rally fun and dominance :what:

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Awesome Build!!!

I wish my wife would let me build a race car...

Could you please post some more pics/information about your camber plates?

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Good to see other TDI road racers where are you in New England?
Please feel free to call on my as I am building my Beetle TDI road racer as well.
I am parting out a 1998 Jetta if you need parts.
Bob Mann

dextervw

Thanks guys! True labor of love this one has been.

The Camber (caster) plates are by Burmeister Engineering. I've never seen another set but the company is still in business and making all sorts of little rally related parts.

I'm down in RI. The cars future is in ProRally but it'll see its share of hillclimbs etc. Sadly I broke the rally suspension so its off the car till i can afford the rebuild. Right now its sitting on some ST coil overs.. not my favorite but they make it roll so I'm happy.

Looking forwards to getting it all sorted and tearing up the stages as soon as I can. Just have to find some $ or sponsors to support :-D

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Do you have any contact information for Burmeister? I was checking around and can't find much information on them other than some posts on Vortex and some other forums.

I somehow glazed over your roof mounted pop-up ventilation system. That's priceless!