Protect your oil sump?

msauve

Veteran Member
While browsing the VW ETKA, I saw what appears to be a protective cover which fits over the fragile alloy oil sump. The part is shown in the TDI illustration, but the part number is not listed there. I found it listed in the '01 Jetta section, for the 2.0 (AEG) liter engine.

Those engines use the same oil sump P/N as the ALH TDI, so I just called the dealer and ordered a "cover for oil sump", VW P/N 06A 103 660, which appears to also include the mounting bolts. Dealer price $84.37.

I'll let everyone know what I end up getting, but I'm hoping it will provide some additional protection to that easily cracked oil sump.

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by msauve (edited October 20, 2000).]

msauve

Veteran Member
The ETKA is the CD VW dealers use to find parts. It has replaced the old microfiche system. In English, it's the EPC (Electronic Parts Catalog). The current version covers all VW/Audi models from 1947-2001.

------------------
Mike

msauve

Veteran Member
If it's plastic, I have to wonder "why?". The Jetta which shows its use also has the full width flat panel beneath the engine compartment. The large cover is ostensibly for sound control, what purpose would a form fitting plastic oil sump cover provide?

------------------
Mike

[This message has been edited by msauve (edited October 20, 2000).]

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
karl,
really, in the interest of keeping your marriage on a sound footing, you ought to take a look at your wife,
once and a while . . . close or distant.

msauve

Veteran Member
I picked up the part today, it's a heavy plastic, not the metal I had hoped. Still, it will add a bit of protection from snow and ice chunks this winter.

------------------
Mike

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
Heavy plastic may be better than metal, depending on how securely it is mounted.
the plastic might have more give/rebound than a metal, which will deform only once.

Please let us know how it works out. Not a lot of sneaux down here but lotsa other road debris.

------------------
2001 Jetta GL TDI, 5 spd,
Galactic Blau/Tan,
manual ash trays,
loud radio/cassette deck, see-thru windshield