Over heating while full of coolant

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Hey all. My 2000 TDI with 370,000 miles has just started to over heat. The odd thing is that the STOP warning comes on (my UK cluster) and then the temp hits 130. I stop and by the time I get to the engine the coolant is filled back up and when I get back into the car the temp comes back down. After the temp came down I did add some warm water and then shut the car off. I could hear the coolant boiling near the flange.

I am assuming this is caused by the thermostat. Any other ideas? Temps have been over 90*F lately although a few months ago I was in Texas with this car and over 90*F too.

Any help would be helpful help in helping.

And yes, I still have the stock clutch from day 1 :) (and a VNT 25 to boot ;) )

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
With engine idling, check plastic coolant bottle and see that the hose going into the top is dribbling coolant into bottle. If no dribble, coolant is not circulating. One cause of this is the water pump impeller slipped on the shaft. This can be checked by taking out the thermostat and impeller is visible from that hole.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
It's time for a new water pump. Take the thermostat off, and spin the pump impeller by hand.

Most importantly, DO NOT DRIVE the car at all.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Some history would be useful............but it does sound like a slipping impeller or less likely, a bad T-stat.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
History? Would u believe I was at the first TDI fest and supplied the awards. Hows about that for some history.

anywho, I changed the belt at 300,000 along with the water pump as I always do and pulleys and such. There are all Genuine VW Parts on there as I get them from the dealer (5% above cost).

I have seen a gear fall apart on a timing belt but was not aware that the impeller would slip. I will check it out over the weekend and report back. If I end up replacing the pump might as well do the belt too.

Thanks for the info.

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
If it's a bad thermostat, you should be able to get very hot air out of the vents. With a slipping impeller, you should get hot air that cools as the fan runs.

This is all with the engine on of course...

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
You do know that vw sells only reman water pumps. Any of the vendors here on the tdi club that I have bought parts from sell only new water pumps.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Took off the thermostat and the impeller spun freely. Replaced the pump with a $60 reman from the dealer. Will drive with that for another 20-30k until belt change. I always replace the water pump at belt changes. Checked the thermostat on the stove and it worked fine.

Did a cheater job on replacing the pump. Did not take off the lower engine cover or the engine mount. Did not remove the cam gear but did remove the acc. belt tensioner :D also the lower idler pulley on the TB. Put it all back together and rotated the engine a few times and it was dead nuts on :D

Also retightened the ARP studs to 120ft lbs and remove the nail from my tire and replaced with a stainless screw.

Ran car at idle, checked coolant. Took for a ride adn verified 25 pounds of boost and all was good :)

BTW, I am averaging 49MPG with 370,000 miles. Still blows my mind that not everyone has one of these d@mn cars!