Heater fan stopped working. Help!

simyboye

TDI
A4 quattro TDi 110bhp
Hi there,
My heater fan has stopped working on my audi A4 b5 1997 tdi 110bhp. The temprature on the climate control works but no fan... I'm in the UK and it's freezing.

Any ideas? What do I need to look for, or fix? Fuse hasnt blown. Was working, stopped and then started. And stopped again when I started the engine.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Simo

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
I have an 05 Jetta wagon with the PD engine... same thing happened to me a year or 2 ago; turned out to be the heater fan realy, which dealer replaced under warranty. Same symptoms-- everything else OK, just no internal heater fan. Perhaps?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
irvingj said:
I have an 05 Jetta wagon with the PD engine... same thing happened to me a year or 2 ago; turned out to be the heater fan realy, which dealer replaced under warranty. Same symptoms-- everything else OK, just no internal heater fan. Perhaps?
Would a 2003 TDI also have one of these relays? and if so, where might it be?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
simyboye said:
mine turned out to be the heater brushes. give the dash a smack.
And that was a permanent solution?

I guess I'd be happy with a temporary solution, because if a whack gets it running again then that would rule out the switch and I wouldn't replace it unnecessarily. I just don't want to replace anything that I don't have to.

simyboye

TDI
A4 quattro TDi 110bhp
Ill put money on it, the bushes were shot...

You can get new ones on flea bay. Pull the glove box off, then you have to remove the air bag bracket, then 3/ 4 bolts and the heater fan will come out. Pull the bushes out and they will be worn. Either get some new ones (will require soldering in) or just wipe them clean and your good to go.

Have a look.

Simo