45 cetane in central Virginia

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
I will check my manual and see what it says as far as cetane.
See your sig, where you getting your bio from?!
I have a 275-gallon IBC in my garage that I get deliveries of B100 (well, B99) for, from Holtzmann Oil Corp. I believe they get their fuel from the refinery in Richmond. I've been doing this for about the last 10 years, with a couple people coming by to get fill-ups. Anyone who wants to come by to get some is welcome. The current cost to me is $4.90 a gallon, which is what I charge (this isn't a money-making venture, just cooperative). PM me to exchange contact info. :)

Reactions: Ton

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Southern States has 47 Cetane.
1100 Harris Street Charlottesville, VA 22903

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Closest Southern States to you is probably:

Out along 360 to the SW of Richmond. Great if you happen to be down in that area.

Southern States - Amelia 16130 Goodes Bridge Road
Amelia Court House, VA 23002 United States
T: (804) 561-2151 F: (804) 561-6505

Pumps may be marked 45 or 47 but it's all the Southern States Super Gold.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Cville local chiming in. That's the pump less than one mile from my work. :D Didn't know there was a thread hunting for the 45 cetane on here. There's also a shell on US-29 north of Cville in Albemarle County that has 5% Bio-blend.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Is that the one just before you get to Rio hill?

Couple of cents below D2 average from what I could see.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep that's the one. And if you're a Kroger shopper you still get the 10 cents off per gallon with the card. Only been by there once when I was out and about and noticed the tank was getting low and was curious to investigate.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I saw it the other day. Maybe I will try it for a month, now that I'm regularly having to travel to C'ville. Of course, switching back to the high cetane has had a sharp and noticeable result in increasing my mpg over what I have been getting. Say around 3-4 mpg improvement.

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
Yea, I saw it the other day. Maybe I will try it for a month, now that I'm regularly having to travel to C'ville. Of course, switching back to the high cetane has had a sharp and noticeable result in increasing my mpg over what I have been getting. Say around 3-4 mpg improvement.
Not sure where you are traveling between, but i figured i'd also share the Southern States on 29N near Elkwood, VA. At least 45 cetane, if i recall but possibly 47 since probably same supplier.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, I believe they are labeled as 45, but it's the same stuff. There is also one in Culpeper on the North end of town. All the Southern Sates as far as I know all badge their diesel as 45 or higher.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Closest Southern States to you is probably:

Out along 360 to the SW of Richmond. Great if you happen to be down in that area.

Southern States - Amelia 16130 Goodes Bridge Road
Amelia Court House, VA 23002 United States
T: (804) 561-2151 F: (804) 561-6505

Pumps may be marked 45 or 47 but it's all the Southern States Super Gold.

Amelia is a little far to go for a tank. I used to be the Manager of Hardware Support at SSC. My team used to install and repair all the retail POS Systems along with all computer hardware throughout their territory in the wholesale facilities.

Wish they had it closer. I was very disappointed when the Shell in Manakin-Sabot stopped selling 45! My car definitely liked it better! So did my 250.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
We should start an updated google map for people in the Va area.. I can't be much help as I am back in NY for 8 months. But I think it would be helpful!

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem is over time whoever is in charge of the map leaves, or disappears, or otherwise fails to transfer control and the map slowly becomes less and less reliable.

Does anyone know if here is a mapping system that will let anyone makes changes to it, or maybe we can publically post the logon data at the start of a new thread so that, hopefully, someone will always be able and willing to update it's information.

TDILouis

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Nice find, but it needs updating. Neither of the ones in the west end of Richmond are accurate any more. The Texaco no longer sells fuel. The Country mart is the shell that is 40 now.
I agree LokiWolf, it needs updating, I have emailed quite a few of the oil companies providing diesel requesting locations of higher than 40 cetane fuel if they manufacture it. Will see if they respond and if they provide good information.

TDILouis

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
We should start an updated google map for people in the Va area.. I can't be much help as I am back in NY for 8 months. But I think it would be helpful!
I agree zoominMS3, I emailed the owner of the map to see if they are still interested in updating.

TDILouis

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
The problem is over time whoever is in charge of the map leaves, or disappears, or otherwise fails to transfer control and the map slowly becomes less and less reliable.
Does anyone know if here is a mapping system that will let anyone makes changes to it, or maybe we can publically post the logon data at the start of a new thread so that, hopefully, someone will always be able and willing to update it's information.
Scout, googlemaps will allow anyone to make changes, it all depends how the owner of the map sets up the preferences. Can be public, or certain collaborators google calls the folks allowed to edit. Let's see if the owner of the original map responds to the email I sent.

Southside tdi

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2d 6M, 1998 Jetta TDI 5M
The Citgo on 460 just south of 153 has 45 Cetane, I'll get the address and update, i get gas there every tank for both my TDI's currently @ $3.599