how to time your engine

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The VW repair manual isn't good enough?
Well no. They don't include the use of an O-scope in the manufacturer's approved repair data. And really there are a lot of crafts that don't use one either. Talk about doing it wrong, did you ever see a plumber set up an O-scope to verify a clogged drain? I didn't think so. Seriously, something need to be done about this flagrant disregard for doing it right..:eek:

Last edited:

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Well no. They don't include the use of an O-scope in the manufacturer's approved repair data. And really there are a lot of crafts that don't use one either. Talk about doing it wrong, did you ever see a plumber set up an O-scope to verify a clogged drain? I didn't think so. Seriously, something need to be done about this flagrant disregard for doing it right..:eek:
I busted out the function generator when I was setting tile earlier today. And if you're not using a spectrum analyzer to balance your tires, you're doing it wrong.

But seriously, this troll has failed to answer any of the basic questions that were posed early on in this thread, including a simple rpm readout to be able to convert milliseconds of sensor mismatch to degrees of rotation yet wants to be recognized for pioneering a new process.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Ever occurred to you that using an oscilloscope is not required? Are you trying to create a problem where there isn't one?

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Ever occurred to you that using an oscilloscope is not required? Are you trying to create a problem where there isn't one?
imo, may I respectfully suggest that ol'rattler's sarcastic humor may have been lost upon your reading of his post? Your response, however, is spot on for the OP's "process" and aligns with the basic sentiment of the rest of the participants in this thread.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I'm am not implying that every mechanic who installs a TB should pull out his scope to set timing, most of them wouldn't be able to interpret what they are looking at anyway. What I saw on my scope means nothing to me, nowhere is it published the correct procedure to time this engine. A torsion value of -2.0 to +2.0 just don't do it for me. There has to be a point where mechanics and fuel are set to an optimum value for the engine.

Setting torsion -0.5 or +0.5 then driving it makes no sense?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Like the turkey dinner I'm having in a few days, I think this thread is a little over cooked. :D

Let's move on

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I'm am not implying that every mechanic who installs a TB should pull out his scope to set timing, most of them wouldn't be able to interpret what they are looking at anyway. What I saw on my scope means nothing to me, nowhere is it published the correct procedure to time this engine. A torsion value of -2.0 to +2.0 just don't do it for me. There has to be a point where mechanics and fuel are set to an optimum value for the engine.
Setting torsion -0.5 or +0.5 then driving it makes no sense?

Perhaps it's not published because it doesn't matter. The range VW states is sufficient and that's all that matters. Anywhere in that range the engine will run fine and operate in it's designed parameters. Now if you want to fine tune it beyond that, that's your problem. Timing belts stretch anyways even between different rpms so there is no perfect setting anyways. Go with what VW states and worry less.