How Much Longer Until Diesel Is Phased Out?

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
While I don't doubt there will continue to be diesel passenger cars sold in the US for some time, I fail to see how this is 'complete and total EPA & CARB BS.'

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
The Emission level from a Jet Turbo Fan equipment is similar to the amount of emissions from a relatively large N. American Vehicle. I looked into the amount of emissions per mile from Toronto to San Francisco, and was astounded that the fuel consumption was approx 10 Litres per 100 km per Passenger. (I took the trip with a Jetta instead),

The only difference was the time factor of traveling across the USA in 1 day(4.5 hrs fligh time), vs 4 days by car (with Sleepovers).

The actual emissions per passenger per mile would be similar to those of the larger vehicle, because of the fuel consumption.

Airline = 200~300 people per plane load. Typical Airspeed is 800 Km/hr. Google Maps show distance by air 3636 km, by car 4222 km.

Google search gave me this document for military aspects of jet aircraft http://www.mareainformativa.com/demand-in-u-s-for-diesel-powered-cars-plummets/795/ and the emissions per Kg of emission per weight of jet.

The chart that is embedded shows a value of most fuel efficiency at the 2-3 km elevation of air, and this is comparable to the typical flight altitude of large aircraft at cruising altitudes.

Less fuel burnt equals less emissions.

I agree that it is significant, based on the number of miles traveled, but I respectfully disagree that it is 'tons' more.
At such distance no civilian air operator is going to fly a jet at such low altitude (2-3 km = 7000-10000 ft altitude) because fuel economy of any jet will be extremely poor, and altitude below 10,000 feet is restricted to airspeed of 250 KIAS (knots indicated airspeed).

A jet aircraft will typically cruise at altitude between FL310 and to 410 (9-12 km), based on computer computed optimum altitudes and ATC clearance.

Even for short flights like Toronto to Montreal, a 500 km distance fight most jet will fly at FL300 or higher (when ATC allows).